CartoonResearch.com

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

CartoonResearch.com

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Hi all! I really enjoy the pieces on http://cartoonresearch.com but I always get an Error 522 page even if the homepage loads and I click on a link from the homepage.

Is this an ongoing thing? Is it well-known? Does anyone else get this error?

Many thanks!
Attachments
Error 522 CR
Error 522 CR
522.JPG (103.44 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
PinkAppleJam

Re: CartoonResearch.com

Post by PinkAppleJam »

(It says "London" but ugh no there are other parts of England other than stuff within the M25 ugh ugh)
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I never have problems with the site. I'm assuming your browser is up to date?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I don't visit the site that often, but I've not had any problems reaching it; just tried now and everything loaded reasonably. Hard to test what it is, since 522 errors indicate that the server isn't responding to or with traffic. It could be something screwy upstream from other Internet connections/backbone providers, which can happen for rare instances but if you're consistently getting 522s, I think it's something outside of the backhaul and there's a lot of moving pieces between you and London, network-wise, presumably.
PinkAppleJam wrote:(It says "London" but ugh no there are other parts of England other than stuff within the M25 ugh ugh)
A lot of non-anime related dtechnobabble follows:

So, I'm not super familiar with CloudFlare's infrastructure but I bet the reason it says "London" is because it's one of the most advantageous places to peer to in Europe, especially from the US. I am sure that balancing traffic into and out of Europe, London is the chief ingress/egress point (or one of them). Essentially, all of CloudFlare's traffic will pass through London, where it connects to other Internet Exchanges/Internet Service Providers. Lot of big Internet companies, to provide better service to the UK, will peer at least in London; the stronger the UK market, either more peers will be stacked in London but others may peer in other parts of the country, putting that ingress/egress potentially closer to you.

522 errors, as I mentioned above, indicates that a server may not be responding or passing traffic, particularly a breakdown in the TCP connection. TCP functions by maintaining a consistent pattern of responses between two hosts and when that connection is interrupted, there is a window of time in which the connection can be re-established and packets can be re-ordered or the connection needs to be reset entirely. Apparently, 522s are common enough with CloudFlare hosting that when I was trying to look up that specific error (500 and 404 are the most common Internet or HTTP errors, so I always have to look up any other errors), CloudFlare is almost always mentioned. Usually the cause is pointed at too many services running on the server which causes TCP packets to drop, leading to connections being dropped. CloudFlare's claim to fame/business model is that they're, well, a cloud provider, so each website is probably running in some microservice, maximizing the number of sites can be run on some bare-metal infrastructure while providing flexibility of crashing and spinning up replacement sites near-seamlessly. 522s, to me, would occur further up the network stack in either switches or routers, and I have near-zero idea what CloudFlare uses in that space (though I am sure I should start reading their blogs to learn more).

Sorry for the weird detour - I work in a similar space by profession, so this stuff, especially Internet backbone/backhaul, really interests me and I can get kinda spergy about it. I know that's a really long and probably uninteresting way to say "works for me, not sure what it is, probably gremlins".
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
PinkAppleJam

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Thank you, Drew! I'm still having problems unfortunately, but will send the link to my phone and see if my smartphone picks up the URL...