Old Electronics

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Old Electronics

Post by Daniel »

Here's one that I've got, an old top loading vcr. It sort of still works. I have another top loader that does still work, but this one looks more interesting.
Attachments
toploader_2.png
toploader_2.png (427.89 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
toploader_1.png
toploader_1.png (318.39 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Old Electronics

Post by greg »

Wow, a top-loading VCR! I still have my VCR I bought in '96. It seems you can't even buy a VCR anymore unless it's one of those VCR/DVD combos. I like old technology. I listen to my MD player far more often than my MP3 player. I used to use Zip Disks up until a couple years ago when I had my USB Zip Drive fail on me. I still have yet to buy an HD TV even. I will eventually though.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I still have my RCA VBT200 that I bought in 1980. I haven't turned it on in years though. It was the first deck I owned. Many friends also kept their old Betamaxes from c.1976. I also have my first DVD recorder the Panasonic E80H which is much prized by collectors. Cost me $1200 when it came out. That unit is still in good shape. I have several other decks but I've shelved all but the Pioneer 640 and 650 units I picked up over the past several months. Within a short time, I hope to join the ranks of High Definition cappers and will shelve the Pioneers except for old VHS and Beta tapes.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I found the documents for our family's stereo receiver and equalizer that we grew up with in the '70s...lol...

_D_

Post by _D_ »

Betamaxes:

Grant's Tape Recorder I used to record audio of moon landing in 1969!

Replaced mostly with this one I picked for $10 at an estate sale:

But if I need to do audio I have a Sony portable that can handle full size reels and a friend recently picked up an excellent condition Pioneer 4 track from a neighbour. His old band's music is in that format. He is also an expert in "tape baking" so if you ever run into flaking audio (and possibly video) tapes and need to try to transfer them, let me know...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Are there any MiniDisc aficionados here? I still listen to my MDs. I had a car MD player in my old '95 Ford Thunderbird before I moved to Japan. My current car only plays CDs, and lacks any headphone jack input for any MD or MP3 players. But, I still listen to my MD Walkman when I ride the train to work. I have two MD/CD stereos at home, too. I love how I can copy a CD and edit them whenever I feel like. They are perfect for making compilations. MP3 players are terrible for that, unless you can somehow make a playlist, but that can be annoying.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Hmm, maybe it doesn't fit here, but do you guys have any suggestions for a VHS to DVD player/recorder? I'd like to be able to make disc copies of my VHS tapes, so maybe someone knows a good reliable brand? Also something that might double as a player, since I don't actually have a VCR anymore.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Not much choice left in the US market but these are popular:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0

User group if you have questions is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnav ... -3576-3575

All standard def recorders here:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/106/dvd-recor ... andard-def
jdoll
Anime Fan Since: 1999

Post by jdoll »

cool stuff guys! Hope to return with vhs betamax and laser disc machines of my own soon!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I recently had the opportunity to get a commercial betamax deck - a friend of mine's company had one they were trying to get rid of (which, I don't really know why a web advertising company has one but whatever). I didn't have room for it but another mutual friend of ours stepped up and is taking it, so I guess it's time to start that 'anime on beta' collection!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.