80s music, new synth pop, vaporwave, and now... Sailorwave?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: 80s music, new synth pop, vaporwave, and now... Sailorwa

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:Yay Usamimi! I'm so glad someone else likes this stuff!

Feel free to tell me what you know about Vaporwave. It's kinda mysterious to me. Its seems like the music is mainly sampling old 80s music, and possibly slowing it down a lot? The visual art form I think I get, but the music I'm still figuring out. I can't tell if I'm listening to original music or just remixed samples or what. The only Vaporwave artists that I know of so far are Vektroid, Saint Pepsi, Trevor Something, and now Macross82-89.

And now I'm off to check out Digital Trip!
Some artists sample things from various sources (from anime, to video game start-up menus, to old work-out LPs and infomercials), but many come up with original work & only use sampling sparingly. (For example, the SailorWave album you mentioned has a good amount of sampling, but Macross82-99's newer albums have a little less, from what I can tell.) "Vaporwave" seems to be a genre that has a ton of tiny sub-genres--I've seen lots of different styles being described as vaporwave...it's my understanding though that anything electronic that carries a "nostalgic" sensibility and style can fall into the category.

I actually discovered it via a Japanese digital-indie music blog I found a little over a year ago called HihiWhopee: http://hihiwhoopee.tumblr.com/ Even if you don't know much Japanese, it's a cool blog that features a lot of different types of artists. That's how I first heard of Macross82-99, KEATS//COLLECTIVE, fortune 500, ect. I also definitely recommend browsing through artists' Soundcloud accounts, because many of them will post collaborations they've done with other artists, so you can look up other artists with similar sounds that way. It's a weird, fun rabbit hole to go down! :mrgreen:

The Digital Trip albums are so great--I want to track down some of the LPs, but some of them are pretty old and more expensive. Someday!

Char--I totally agree about some of the cover art! I love some of the stuff artists come up with for their albums. It's really cool & I kinda wish people sold prints of them!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Usamimi, thanks for the insight. I couldn't find much Digital Trip stuff on youtube by the way. I'll google it and see what I can find.

Char, if you like Perturbator, you might just love Dance with the Dead. Definitely give them a listen!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:Usamimi, thanks for the insight. I couldn't find much Digital Trip stuff on youtube by the way. I'll google it and see what I can find.

Char, if you like Perturbator, you might just love Dance with the Dead. Definitely give them a listen!
Yeah, I think the only one I've found on Youtube is the Urusei Yatsura one (which is a good one, though!). The albums I have I had to download from various places...If you can't find any, I'd be happy to send you some. (I'm usually not into pirating music, but since these are old, out of print, and hard to find, I think it's ok. XD)
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

usamimi wrote: Yeah, I think the only one I've found on Youtube is the Urusei Yatsura one (which is a good one, though!). The albums I have I had to download from various places...If you can't find any, I'd be happy to send you some. (I'm usually not into pirating music, but since these are old, out of print, and hard to find, I think it's ok. XD)
Yep, the Urusei Yatsura one is the one I found! And I didn't quite get it. It just sounded like old songs with some filter applied. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the source material?

I found this AWESOME album of Macross jazz background music. I assume it's the original from the show (sadly I'm not as familiar with the orignal Macross BGM as I am with Robotech) but it almost sounds TOO eighties...like it could be some vaporwave remix! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_XoQyRmFo
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

danth wrote:Char, if you like Perturbator, you might just love Dance with the Dead. Definitely give them a listen!
I'll definitely check them out, thanks!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

For a table-top game with an 80's vibe I "beta tested" with friends last year, I made a bogus soundtrack from free mp3s of synthwave. It was more B-movie fare than anything like a chromed Japanese megalopolis anime. Here is the imaginary album cover I photoshopped into existence:
Attachments
1988BGMcover.jpg
1988BGMcover.jpg (256.72 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:
usamimi wrote: Yeah, I think the only one I've found on Youtube is the Urusei Yatsura one (which is a good one, though!). The albums I have I had to download from various places...If you can't find any, I'd be happy to send you some. (I'm usually not into pirating music, but since these are old, out of print, and hard to find, I think it's ok. XD)
Yep, the Urusei Yatsura one is the one I found! And I didn't quite get it. It just sounded like old songs with some filter applied. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the source material?

I found this AWESOME album of Macross jazz background music. I assume it's the original from the show (sadly I'm not as familiar with the orignal Macross BGM as I am with Robotech) but it almost sounds TOO eighties...like it could be some vaporwave remix! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_XoQyRmFo
The Digital Trip albums are also commonly labeled as "synth fantasy"--they're all played on a synthesizer. Some are more poppy, some are more jazzy...the UY one is definitely more poppy. I think that Macross one might be one of them...I'll have to check, I know I have a Macross Digital Trip album, lol. I'll have to make a list of albums I have, I basically downloaded all the ones I could find....

Labsenpai that album cover is SUPER vaporwave! :D Love it!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: 80s music, new synth pop, vaporwave, and now... Sailorwave?

Post by labsenpai »

Well those couple years went by in a blink. Artzie Music channel pretty much has anything you'd want in FF or seizure inducing GIF ;)

If you like the AKIRA soundtrack influence, Le Matos has a track for download. This artist made a minor splash with the music to the "neo-troma" movie TURBO KID.
https://lematos.bandcamp.com/track/kiyoko
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: 80s music, new synth pop, vaporwave, and now... Sailorwave?

Post by mbanu »

Not sure what it would be called, exactly, but seems to fall into this thread. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZdVwTjUtjg

Hall & Oates AMVs???
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?