Is vinyl really better than CDs, or is it just a myth?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Is vinyl really better than CDs, or is it just a myth?

Post by davemerrill »

To address the OP's question, there are so many variables when comparing vinyl to CD that it's almost a meaningless question.

Some vinyl records were mastered badly on crap vinyl, and some were given loving care on audiophile quality virgin vinyl. Some CDs were encoded badly and/or mastered poorly, and some weren't. Then you have to think about what you're using at home to listen to this stuff. Your Mickey Mouse portable record player with the picture of Mickey and Minnie disco-dancing on the cover might not sound as good as that Technics turntable, and then you have to think about your amp, your speakers, and so on and so forth.

I think both formats have their good and bad points, and when I'm at home working on something, which is generally when I listen to most of my music, I prefer LP records because I just do, my turntable is convenient to my drawing table and the Ikea shelf with my LPs. But in my car, LP records aren't going to work, for obvious reasons.

The spectacle of seeing prices jump on old LP records is pretty amazing, and I don't begrudge record shops for wanting to make a buck after years of declining revenue. But I'm not going to pay more than $10 for an LP, not very often anyway.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Is vinyl really better than CDs, or is it just a myth?

Post by DKop »

The debate between LP and CD reminds me of scene from Daria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw6vVFPDs9Y

I have a handful of vinyl records and a hand me down player (that now is a set piece for my Evangelion kits and other assorted crap for the time being) in terms of my record collecting stash, but I'd figure if im going to get into it, ebay seems to be the best spot to pick up anime vinyls, which seem to be Matsumoto anime LP's and other stuff. As of now, im really not that hard pressed to get anything unless its some band or album that looks really cool and I buy it for art work sake despite if the music style might be garbage to my personal tastes.