When did Halloween become so commercial in Japan?

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

When did Halloween become so commercial in Japan?

Post by kndy »

I've covered so many things in Japan for nearly two decades and although I'm not in Japan this month, this is the first year I have seen so much Halloween promotions. I know that in August, we see the specials of people rummaging through cemeteries and getting spooked (ala haunted houses/haunted cemetery) on Japanese variety and news shows.

But this month alone...

From Japanese friends on Facebook... KFC decorating the Colonel in costumes and putting a big pumpkin, seeing people at their workplace with big huge pumpkins with candy, Halloween parties galore. Heck, even AKB48's Wonda ads this month have them decked out in Halloween clothing and people sporting the pumpkins. Heck even watching "Ikinari Ogon Densetsu"...one of the contestants is living off pumpkin food.

Just watched Music Station and they were talking with Tamori-san about Halloween parties and I've watched this music show since the early '90s and never have they talked about Halloween festivities as they did in this latest show.

So, when did Halloween become so commercial in Japan? For 2012, this is the most I have seen of it...
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Re: When did Halloween become so commercial in Japan?

Post by gaijinpunch »

Dunno, but I always remember *something* going on on Halloween in the night club scene. For what it's worth, most people do nothing. Walking a mere 200 meters from my cab to the party I went to as Gatchaman (even with a coat on) I got a million stares.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, it's like they understand the part about decorations and candy, but not the dressing up part. Even those who seem to kind of understand it, they don't understand that the costuming is a free-for-all and that it can be just another excuse for cosplay. Perhaps they just think that you wear a witch hat and a jack-o-lantern t-shirt? I bought a Rilakkuma costume at Don Quixote on Sunday. Tomorrow, I intend to wander into random classrooms at my elementary school, push the books off of random kids' desks and lay down on top. It's going to be fun. I'm also going to show the Peanuts Halloween Special, complete with Japanese subtitles, to the kids. I think it works as a good introduction to the holiday, especially since Sally Brown plays the part of the naive one and the other kids explain to her how trick-or-treating works. Plus, I love Peanuts. Kids here know Snoopy, but they don't even know how sad the show can be.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

From what I understand Japanese do it and understand it far better than our white cousins in lands such as Australia.
kndy

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:Yeah, it's like they understand the part about decorations and candy, but not the dressing up part. Even those who seem to kind of understand it, they don't understand that the costuming is a free-for-all and that it can be just another excuse for cosplay. Perhaps they just think that you wear a witch hat and a jack-o-lantern t-shirt? I bought a Rilakkuma costume at Don Quixote on Sunday. Tomorrow, I intend to wander into random classrooms at my elementary school, push the books off of random kids' desks and lay down on top. It's going to be fun. I'm also going to show the Peanuts Halloween Special, complete with Japanese subtitles, to the kids. I think it works as a good introduction to the holiday, especially since Sally Brown plays the part of the naive one and the other kids explain to her how trick-or-treating works. Plus, I love Peanuts. Kids here know Snoopy, but they don't even know how sad the show can be.
How did your Halloween go with the costume? I'm sure the kids would love it!

Greg, I just added you on Flickr...but what a beautiful area you live. It must be cold! But beautiful scenery! Btw...do stores mind if you bring a video camera in? I always wondered it if was ok. I kind of get scared to do that in Tokyo since going to Harajuku and trying to take pictures of the Johnny's store and the insane fans waiting in line and they all got pissy at me for doing so.
greg

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:How did your Halloween go with the costume? I'm sure the kids would love it!

Greg, I just added you on Flickr...but what a beautiful area you live. It must be cold! But beautiful scenery! Btw...do stores mind if you bring a video camera in? I always wondered it if was ok. I kind of get scared to do that in Tokyo since going to Harajuku and trying to take pictures of the Johnny's store and the insane fans waiting in line and they all got pissy at me for doing so.
The kids loved the Rilakkuma costume. I received plenty of hugs and gave plenty of piggy backs. Some kids who are normally reticent wanted to jump on me. It was fun. Some other English teachers grumble about the younger kids and how they don't like them, but I love them. Sometimes there are some real turds, but for the most part, these kids are great. I really enjoy working at elementary schools more than junior highs. I know one guy who'd rather be teaching high school, but I think that must really suck, standing in front of lifeless, apathetic teenagers all day.

Where I live, it doesn't get so cold. Mt. Fuji is now topped with snow again for the past few weeks, but it doesn't snow where I live. The most recent pictures on my Flickr page are of our drive up to Lake Shirakaba. Last weekend, I took some pictures of my hike through the Aokigahara Jukai forest, aka the "suicide forest." I should upload those pictures soon. The video is on my YT channel. I saw some other videos of these guys purposely searching for dead bodies, but my friend and I went there to enjoy the beauty of the place and discussed nature.

About the stores, it really depends. In Tokyo, they really do not want anyone taking videos. For the stores around where I live in Shizuoka-ken, they either don't pay attention or they don't care. One store totally allowed me and cooperated with the video. If it's a very large store, I just sneak around with the camera. For smaller stores, I usually ask permission first. I know Super Potato in Akihabara, the retro video game store, does not seem to mind people filming in there at all. There are tons of videos on YT of that store.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

Been gone a bit. Here are my Halloween picks from the Kawasaki Halloween Parade.
kndy

Post by kndy »

gaijinpunch wrote:Been gone a bit. Here are my Halloween picks from the Kawasaki Halloween Parade.
Cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Will also add you as a contact on Flickr!!!

UPDATE: WOW!!! I was looking through the photos of your Flicker page! They are amazing. Seeing that you have a Zeiss and very good lenses, are you a professional photographer?
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

I'm not, just a bit addictive with my hobbies... as you might be able to tell. The Zeiss' are new, btw. Love 'em. So sexy!

Glad you enjoyed the pics. It was pretty fun out there.
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, you have a good eye for proper composition and depth of field and such.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page