Japanese ABCs

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Japanese ABCs

Post by Daniel »

This is a strange question, but it's been bugging me -- how do you tell people the spelling of words in hiragana and katakana? For example, I use ダン for my first name in Japanese; if someone asked me for the spelling (what would that question be, anyways?), what would I say? In English I would say each letter, as in "d", "a", "n", "i", "e", "l", but how do you spell things out character by character in hiragana and katakana?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Japanese ABCs

Post by greg »

I'll give it a shot. I am pretty sure this is how it goes. I'll write it in katakana for you.

エイ ビー スィー ディ イー エッフ ジー エイチ アイ ジェイ ケイ エル エム エン オー ピー キュー アール エス ティー ユー ヴィー ダッブルユ エックス ワイ ズィー

I conulted a Japanese coworker on this. However, for Z, it seems that most kids think that it's the British pronunciation, or ゼット. The archaic form for C would be シー and V would be ブイー, but the Japanese education system is slowly trying to introduce proper phonics. Phonics has been ignored for all these years, and finally they want to try to do something about it. I try to introduce it as much as I can to my schools.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Ah, my apologies, I was quite unclear. Let me try again...

Let's say I'm in the USA, making a hotel reservation over the phone. I give my name as "Daniel." The person on the other end of the phone asks me to spell that out for them. I say "d", "a", "n", "i", "e", "l".

Let's say I'm in Japan, making a hotel reservation over the phone. I give my name as "ダン." The person on the other end of the phone asks me to spell that out for them. I say ... ?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh. In that case, for Daniel, just say "da, n, i, e, ru." Greg becomes グレッグ in Japanese, so I would say "gu, re, chiisai tsu, gu."

There are no different names for kana, other than the sounds they make. That must be why the kids think it's funny when I start making goofy sounds when teaching phonics like "a, ei, ah, buh, kkh, duh, eh, ee, ff," etc. Well how else do you learn how to read English? It's not surprising that people here can only recognize words when reading them, but can't actually pronounce them.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Ah, I see. Thank you!