JLPT Tests and how important are they for employment?

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

JLPT Tests and how important are they for employment?

Post by kndy »

Curious how important the JLPT tests were for those of you who got jobs in Japan?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: JLPT Tests and how important are they for employment?

Post by greg »

My employer strongly desires us to study for and take the JLPT tests. It isn't necessary, but when they strongly encourage us to, I think it's wise to do so.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Unless you want to be a translator or interpreter, very few jobs will set a minimum. However, it is something to throw on the resume and is a benchmark when corresponding to someone about possible employment. The main reason to get it though is for personal satisfaction.
greg

Post by greg »

GP, did you ever pass the N2 test? I know it is very difficult. I just started studying for the N3 last week. I am guessing that I already know about 40% of the words and grammar, so I may be able to study and prepare for the test this summer. From what I understand, the accuracy percentage requirement becomes more stringent the higher the level is.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy

Post by kndy »

I just want to share the answers I got from friends on FB:

10 years ago, they used to say that you needed level 1 to go to school here and level 2 to work here. The tests aren't particularly meaningful these days compared to back then. I took level 1 a decade ago (before the new levels), but no one actually asks about it. I don't really think it measures much either, as I know people who passed level 1 or 2, lived in Japan for years, but still can barely function in Japanese. I can't remember the last time I even saw a recruiting ad that even asked about it. And many fluent candidates I interview don't even list if they have it or not.

Depends heavily on what kind of work you do. I'm not up on the new system, but recruiters for Japanese companies have told me (just before the Nx system started) that 2級 and below don't mean anything, but 1級 is marketable. However, whenever I interviewed in finance companies the environment was heavily English anyway.

I took level 1 as well, once I was in Japan. I think it's helpful, but maybe not necessary. Companies typically ask for a certain level of fluency (business level, etc.) rather than a JLPT required level. But being able to write N1 on your resume is an easy way to "prove" that you have that equivalent level of fluency. That's basically why I took it, just to be able to have the certification to put on my resume.

i definitely agree with the above comment, that 1 and 2 are really the only levels worth mentioning if you're trying to use Japanese in the job market

I've done a fair bit of studying for the N1 and I think it's a good measure of Japanese ability. I have a good (for an English speaker) knowledge of kanji and readings but the new system really tests idiom and grammar use, which makes much of my study quite useless.

JLPT is pretty useless. Do do better to actually go to university, study Japanese then go get a job.. Cause the moment you start speaking Japanese to a recruiter..they'll know how fluent you are... How do i know.. Sophia University Grad here and worked as a translator for years.

It doesn't measure speaking or writing though, and many of the grammar patterns aren't ones normally used. I know plenty of very functional Japanese speakers who probably couldn't pass the test, and many who passed the test who can't really hold a conversation. Honestly, when I think back to when I passed the test 10 years ago (and N1 is said to be only slightly harder than the original level 1), I couldn't write an intelligent sentence in Japanese. I definitely would not have been qualified to do my work today.

ME: The fact that many of you passed level 2 or level 1 upon moving there is fantastic. After college and further studying, I felt confident possibly at N3 but man, I was going through those test samples and I'd be happy just to pass N3. Lol... Curious though, for those who took N1 or N2, did most of you pass it on your first try?

I took mine about 10 years ago (and supposedly N1 is only slightly harder than the original 1) and passed on the first try. I've learned a lot in the 10 years or so since then though.

The N1 is really only useful for applying for University in Japan. I did the L1 back in 87' before going to Sophia..But once i got there i really found that it only slightly useful having taking it.

Yeah, I only took the L1 for going to school here as well. And then I found out that the school (Waseda) had their own exam and that I didn't even need to take it. Most schools now (many years later) from what I understand administer their own tests and don't really look at the JLPT so much now.

ME: This is interesting because I know each of you work in different job industries. On a daily basis what is your ratio of English/Japanese in your workplace?

Michael Wishlow Yeah.. I still had to do one hell of an entrance exam. All the L1 did was make me even eligible to apply.

my workday is 80% Japanese (very few English speakers at my company, despite it being a global brand), with probably about 40% of the documents I review/draft being in Japanese. My job is mainly to handle English documents, but as I'm the primary bilingual in the group, I handle a lot of translations into Japanese as well.

I'd say 70% Japanese 30 % English.

Hard to say, really. My co-workers don't speak English, but when I look up documentation it's generally English searches first. Speaking of school, I entered grad school along with native Japanese so I had to take an English test as part of the entrance exam. It's _so_ much harder to write your answers in Japanese...

I'm not a recruiter so I have a limited perspective, but what I'm saying is that the N1 is a completely different test. I wouldn't compare it as "only slightly harder" because its goals are for fluency, not memorization. I find that the more I study the grammar used on the test, the more I see it in newspapers and TV, so statements like "not commonly used grammar" are just sour grapes. The thing that annoys me most about the level of the test is when Japanese look at it and tell me they'd have trouble answering, it's not the freaking 漢字検定.

I'm not a recruiter either, to clarify. I'm a lawyer, so language is something I deal with on a regular basis, and I've never felt myself that everything on the original L1 were all that commonly used (I do use many of them, but definitely not all). Not sure this falls into the realm of "sour grapes" though. "Slightly harder" is actually the wording from Wikipedia entry on JLPT. I guess I'll never find out though, as I have no intent to take the exam again (no real need to either). Though not a recruiter, my team is, however, hiring for positions, and I've done plenty of interviewing for positions myself over the last 3 years or so, so I've viewed resumes regularly and speak with recruiters on a fairly regular basis, so that's the basis for my comments.

I know that Nintendo does ask for JLPT N1 or equivalent for the bilingual positions. I still live in the US, and honestly took the JLPT because I wanted some sort of document backing up at least part of my japanese skills. Since I'm a native speaker and didn't take Japanese in college, I thought it'd be nice to have something in writing at least. I started at N2 and then took N1.

I never took JLPT. I never saw the need, as I was applying for jobs that were only offered in Japanese...I assumed if I could hand in all the necessary documents (in Japanese), then any prospective employer would understand I could handle the language difference. There are a few people at SCE who speak pretty iffy Japanese, but they're engineers, programmers, etc. Looking at the home page, there's nothing that says they require any particular Japanese ability, but most of the company doesn't speak English so if you're not functionally bilingual, I doubt you could be very effective at your job.

I took level 3 and level 2 here in Japan before they changed the system and added the in between levels. Most companies I've seen require at minimum, level 2. Anything related to translation etc require level one. Most people have told me that the level one contains a lot of terms and things that don't apply in everyday life. I actually only have level 2. Never was bothered to get level 1.
kndy

Post by kndy »

greg

Post by greg »

Hmm... yeah, that graphic may be accurate. I mean, what they consider to be basic English is enough to show that you are functional, but it won't help you at a college level. The problem with even getting past N2 (which I don't think has changed since the 2kyu days, and is pretty much the same test) is all the KANJI. I think studying kanji is fun, but unless I see it in person, they don't seem to stick to me. The nice thing about the book I bought is that it groups the kanji into scenes, giving each section a theme to study (at the post office, crossing the street, etc). I've just begun, but giving a cursory glance over the rest of the book, I'd say I know at least 65% of the kanji already. N2, however, is going to be a tough one.

What I need to do, believe it or not, is read more manga and play more video games in Japanese! Those are great ways to study, and you can learn new words and new slang terms as well that way.

My boss has high hopes for me. I have a coworker/friend who is a teacher in my city whom I really respect and get along with because he has a love for Japan and doesn't just bitch about living here like some of the others (I think some are basically being held hostage by their Japanese wives---anybody who thinks if he marries a J-girl that he can boss her around, THINK AGAIN!). This friend of mine is studying for the N2, is married to a J-girl, and speaks only Japanese at home with her, yet he speaks very haltingly, as though he is constantly searching for the words, even the words he already is comfortable with. I probably don't have quite the same vocabulary he does (although I'm maybe a bit more "hip" with stuff like song lyrics or Dragon Quest incantations), yet I can emulate Japanese speech patterns better. Like when I was in college and spending time with friends from Ireland, I'd start to adopt Irish speech patterns. The same goes for my friends from Hong Kong. So while I am not fluent, I can emulate fluent speech patterns, so it's like I've unintentionally pulled the wool over people's eyes and they think I'm spectacular when I'm not.

Which reminds me, since I just mentioned about "pulling the wool over their eyes." Mastering idioms is essential to becoming fluent, which is something that JLPT tests won't cover. I have a couple of books on Japanese idioms, but I'm still trying to cover the essentials for now. I was exposed to a few by playing the Sakura Taisen games with the translation documents from gamefaqs.com. If I have a context to ground myself with them, they'll stick. Otherwise, I don't master them.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Sorry for the late reply.
I look L2 way back when (1998) and passed. It was pretty challenging. Never took N2. Only N1 two times.

The graphic might be accurate in some ways, but the thing is, while your fluency will likely never be the same as a native, if you pass N1 and are a university graduate, you are likely to have the mental and lingual capacity to talk about subjects (in Japanese) that even high school graduates don't. If you're looking to do the same job as a Japanese, yes, it will be hard with just skimming by N1. However, if you're a westerner and aiming for such a job, you should have your head examined anyway. :)
greg

Post by greg »

I applied for the N3 test last night, went to Family Mart, and paid for it. The test date is December 1st. I am not even halfway through studying, even though I have had these study books since February. I have three books: kanji, vocabulary, and grammar. It's a bit challenging for me, and I have two months to really study hard to pass. I'll know the results in January sometime.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

So the JLPT test is next weekend, and I don't think it is possible to complete my studies before the test. I'll do the best I can and see what happens.

Apparently I am more comfortable with kanji than my two colleagues who are currently studying at the N2 level. I think it may help that my otaku prowess fuels my desire to learn this more. Playing a typical strategy/tactics game such as Langrisser, Sakura Taisen, Super Robot Taisen and such, I have already learned kanji such as:
移動idou, move
攻撃kougeki, attack
回復kaifuku, recover
集中shuuchuu, focus
庇うkabou, protect/cover someone
終了shuuryou, end

My colleagues don't spend time playing Japanese video games and reading Japanese manga. This gives me an advantage.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page