Careful in that snow storm!

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Careful in that snow storm!

Post by kndy »

Reading everyone's post on Facebook right now and how they are stuck in the freeway due to many accidents or how bad the snow is right now. Anyway, be careful out there or this season!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Careful in that snow storm!

Post by greg »

Yeah, yesterday was not fun. We had gone up to stay with the in-laws in Nagano-ken for the 3 day weekend. The Yahoo weather forecast said that it would be snowing up until the afternoon, and then it would turn to rain. I thought it would be no big deal in that case, even when we saw on the news that they were stopping people from getting on the Chuuou Expressway who did not have snow tires or chains. We took our time and left after 1:30. One road was real bad, but the local highways weren't too bad. We had snow tires, after all. Once we got to the entrance to the expressway, we saw that it was closed from Gifu-ken all the way to Tokyo. (The Chuuou, as its name implies, is the expressway that runs through the central part of Honshuu, between Tokyo and Nagoya.)

We were stuck taking the local roads and highways. Our car was fishtailing on occasion, and we just prayed the whole way. At one point, we were stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. I just shut the engine off and we waited until we started moving again. Some vehicle must've slidden off the road. Maybe there was a collision. We were passing by cars and trucks that had slid off the road and smashed into walls and such, as well as abandoned vehicles. It was dark when we were driving through the Jukai "suicide forest," and there we saw a truck that had smashed through the wood fence beside the road and pitched into the woods. By the look of the snow piled on top, it must've been there all day. There were so many abandoned vehicles.

We finally got home at 11:30 last night. It normally takes us about 3.5-4 hours with a break, but this time it took us 10! Not a scratch on our car, and my daughter didn't get too fussy.

Man, I don't like snow. We saw some pretty scenery, but I don't like snow. I'm happy to live where we are, where it never snows.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

My pics on Flickr

There's still plenty of snow in Yoyogi Park. Enough to make my jog painful.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Snowing heavily here in Thunder Bay Canada. Well, it was bound to happen since it IS winter...

But with hockey back on, most folks are probably home anyway...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I had a friend from Thunder Bay who was killed just a couple of days before Christmas outside of Ignace. It makes me wonder why a 79 year old man is allowed to drive a vehicle when he can't even keep it from smashing into oncoming traffic. He killed my friend and broke his daughter's arm, who thankfully survived the crash.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

gaijinpunch wrote:My pics on Flickr

There's still plenty of snow in Yoyogi Park. Enough to make my jog painful.
Awesome photo!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_engla ... 539697769/

Just wondering why you chose iso 640? Photos look great as usual!