Costco Japan? When?

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Costco Japan? When?

Post by _D_ »

This might be OT but I was just watching CBS News and they mentioned Costco coming to Japan. That should be interesting. We have Costco in Canada as well but not where I am, so I have no experience with them. Should be interesting to find out what they will be selling and if the mark up will be the same as the US at 15%.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Costco Japan? When?

Post by usamimi »

They actually already have some in Japan, but there's some new locations coming soon: http://www.costco.co.jp/p/locations?lang=en

A friend of mine's been to the Hisayama location and she said it was really cool. It made her feel like she was back home in the US. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Wow! They'll put them in Japan and Thailand but they gave up on my city. Then again, apparently Wal-Mart fought tooth and nail to prevent them coming in. Oh well, Target opens its first store here next month and we already have 3 Wal-Marts and a Toys 'R' Us...
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I have a few friends who go to Costco Japan and they always took pictures inside. But those who do go, those friends are not in the Tokyo area.

The concept of buying in bulk seems to freak out even my Japanese friends. In fact, when I went to Tokyo, I purchased several bags to store in the fridge as I didn't want to go to 7-11 for the next two days. My friend said it will be unusual to Japanese as they tend to buy what they need at the time than buy extra.

That sounded weird but I went and purchased things and Japanese were astonished I was holding several bags worth of stuff.

Heck, when I go grocery shopping, I'm so used to holding bags of stuff to my car or from my car to my house, I never thought it was a big deal.

But interesting difference of perspectives.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Costco has been in Japan for quite a while. I think the first one opened up in Chiba. I was married in Tokorozawa, Saitama-ken in 2001, and most of the catered food was bought at Costco.

I've never been to a Costco in Japan myself, but I understand that a Costco membership is good at any Costco all over the world.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Note that they are MILES from anything, if you live in Tokyo. It is generally an entire day devoted, and you need a car... something many Tokyoites don't have (myself included). I don't know how delivery works, but I don't think it's very good (IE, not like how most stores do delivery). Ikea has definitely nailed it though.
robodaz
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by robodaz »

Is not 'The Flying Pig' owned by Costo in Japan? At least, when they send me the monthly shop, it all seems to come in Costco boxes...
"I like this wolf. He's not freezing his ass of in Alaska chasing snow bunnies. He just goes to pig's houses and blows on them" - Christopher Walken.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Unfortunately, they are only a small selection of locations, mostly in the Tokyo and Chiba area though there is one in Fukuoka and one just opened in Hiroshima a short time ago. Unfortunately, not one in Tochigi