Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Threa

Post by Heibi »

_D_ wrote:
Heibi wrote:
_D_ wrote:I'm not very tolerant of new foods, so it's good to know the fast food chains are there. I have begged off Lebanese, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese foods from friends rather than make a scene when I have to spit it out. That's just me though. Others of my friends and my parents are/were adventurous with foods...
Do you eat breaded chicken, pork, shrimp or fish? - Katsudon would be fine then. And they have a variety of types. I'm a picky eater, so I know this very well.

Do you like chicken curry or beef curry? - C&C curry would be fine as well. Mild, Medium, or Hot choices.

Do you like noodles, spaghetti ? - The ramen shops have a wide variety of palate safe versions.
Breaded chicken, pork ribs, no shrimp or fish. No curry. Spaghetti is okay but only Bolonese sauce. Going to be tough going if I try to eat regular Japanese foods. There is a Korean/Vietnamese/Chnese food restaurant around the corner from my house. Can't eat a thing on their menu...
Are they American run/in America? They are different in how they are prepared I've noticed. The flavor was better in Japan.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Place is run by "off the boat" Koreans. My bud who had his own restaurant in town was born in Saigon and vacated when the Communists took over. All the food I could ask for and authentic, even special dishes my friend's wife wants to cook for me but with my palate, inedible...

Secondary problem at the moment is gum disease has robbed me of my sense of taste and smell. This might get fixed once the last of my teeth are removed and the disease bacteria can be eliminated. Most foods currently either taste awful or smell awful. It's been like that for going on three years now. Removing the teeth is a last resort since antibiotics were ineffective. If I do not take to dentures, I will have a hell of a time eating...so I better adapt. But the problems with the other foods was like this for the past several decades...I just don't eat much other than this narrow range of foods...
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

_D_ wrote:Place is run by "off the boat" Koreans. My bud who had his own restaurant in town was born in Saigon and vacated when the Communists took over. All the food I could ask for and authentic, even special dishes my friend's wife wants to cook for me but with my palate, inedible...

Secondary problem at the moment is gum disease has robbed me of my sense of taste and smell. This might get fixed once the last of my teeth are removed and the disease bacteria can be eliminated. Most foods currently either taste awful or smell awful. It's been like that for going on three years now. Removing the teeth is a last resort since antibiotics were ineffective. If I do not take to dentures, I will have a hell of a time eating...so I better adapt. But the problems with the other foods was like this for the past several decades...I just don't eat much other than this narrow range of foods...
Now that has to be tough, losing two senses - and two really important/enjoyable ones.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Well D, at least you have quite an excuse! My brother-in-law is just picky. Sorry to hear about your gum disease.

Heibi, I've never seen C&C Curry before. I'll have to try that out sometime. Have you tried Gogo Curry? It's Kanazawa-style curry. Imagine tonkatsu (with sauce and shredded cabbage) on top of a plate of curry and rice. The curry sauce is dark and rich. There's no choice in spice level. It's become quite the rage in Akihabara.

My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg

Post by greg »

Normally I'd scoff at this and complain about how Japan is destined to get fat like America, but damn, that looks tempting. I could go for at least two whoppers. The last time I had a Whopper was at Christmastime in Tokyo last year. The closest BK to me is in Shizuoka City, but I have yet to eat there. BK in Japan currently isn't as classy and tasty as it was before they packed up and left Japan in 2001, but I think I've already said that before. At least there is one place in town where I live that serves American-style burgers. Gosh, I'm hungry for a burger now!
:lol:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

kndy wrote:Image

All you can eat Whoppers!

http://mechapunch.com/2013/11/14/its-biking-2013/
I'm legitimately surprised this isn't happening in America first! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

I've actually seen all-you-can-eat KFCs in America. They were usually in smaller towns. There was one in Sedona, AZ, but it closed down a couple of years ago.

Burger King is alright, I guess. Carls Jr. is way better. Actually, suddenly I am nostalgic for the Burger King in Yuma, AZ. We would stop by there for lunch while driving between Phoenix and San Diego. For some reason, that Burger King was excellent. I think they always made the food very fresh, so it's not like the burgers were sitting around for a while as the lettuce wilted. Long ago I realized that if you ever made a special request for a burger at BK, like adding extra mayo or something, it would turn out fresher than usual because they wouldn't just hand you a burger that had already been made. But regardless, the BK in Yuma was great. The last time I ever ate there was on the way to the San Diego Comic Con in '07.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

usamimi wrote:
kndy wrote: All you can eat Whoppers!
I'm legitimately surprised this isn't happening in America first! :lol:
That will NEVER happen in America, BK (or whoever tried) would lose a TON of money. I would expect Japanese to maybe eat 3 whoppers if they're paying for "all-you-can-eat", Americans would eat 10. Just compare average portion sizes between the two countries.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

That's true. In Seattle, there was a Japanese all-you-can-eat buffet called Todai that was really great, but a bit expensive...(sadly, I think this is why it ended up closing eventually) and I was surprised the first time I ate there, I noticed that most people maybe ate 2 plates and that was all. I'm so used to going to buffets and seeing people really chowing down to "get their money's worth", y'know? So yeah, I can see why it would probably never happen in America...though it seems no matter what, I always seem to associate "all you can eat" promotions with American dining first and foremost. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*