Pacific Rim doesn't take off in Japan

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Pacific Rim doesn't take off in Japan

Post by Animusubi »

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entert ... f-in-japan

I'm really sort of shocked. I thought of all places, Japan would totally welcome the movie with open arms, especially considering many manga artists and creative types in Japan have all praised such a movie being made. :(

It's already leaving the theaters here in the states, which I was sad about because I didn't get the chance to see it again. And every one I talked to kept delaying seeing it. It's because of China a sequel is likely, but still, I wanted this movie to do better.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
robodaz

Re: Pacific Rim doesn't take off in Japan

Post by robodaz »

Pacific Rim had exactly four days at my local flea-pit before being replaced by Star Trek.

We still have it at the AEON Mall, but even there it was cut to one screening a day last week.

The Uni club took a trip to see it and we were all a little underwhelmed - one of the lasses said it plainly "I preferred this film when it was called Evangelion, Gundam and Godzilla". Beautiful, it certainly was, but I too found it muddled.

Mind you, a second viewing must be had, as I am sure part of my own discomfiture came from the MST3King going on during the screening...
"I like this wolf. He's not freezing his ass of in Alaska chasing snow bunnies. He just goes to pig's houses and blows on them" - Christopher Walken.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

robodaz

Post by robodaz »

Seen it again... and,sadly we lose it this week.

Still retain the impression of muddling, though without the hyenas by my side it was a better experience... :)

I suppose my views on the source material is too rigid at the moment, but I expect it to soften before the BD version is released.
"I like this wolf. He's not freezing his ass of in Alaska chasing snow bunnies. He just goes to pig's houses and blows on them" - Christopher Walken.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

robodaz wrote:Mind you, a second viewing must be had, as I am sure part of my own discomfiture came from the MST3King going on during the screening...
Wow, so you're familiar with MST3K! It's one of my favorite shows, but I admit that it's the worst when you are sitting with someone who is being snarky in the theater, and he's the only one who thinks he's funny. Some fail to realize that comedy is when you make others laugh; when you're the only one laughing, it's just you being an annoying dork.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

There was a live MST3K performance using Starship troopers a couple days ago with live feeds all over the US and Canada. Oddly enough, I never was a fan of the show and have almost no episodes of it in my collection. I prefer to watch a film and judge it for what it is good or bad, warts and all rather than make snide comments on productions that I myself cannot produce. Others of course thought the show was great fun...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Ah yes, that's Rifftrax, the guys from MST3K's latter years. I can imagine most people viewing it had already seen Starship Troopers. The movie was brainless fun that didn't do justice to the Heinlein novel, so it's ripe for riffing. There are some movies that are almost painful to watch without their commentary, such as The Room and Birdemic.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

I'd have figured they would have done a better job with Battlefield Earth but that's just me. I actually enjoyed ST when it came out though I wished the bugs didn't look like Earthly bugs and I so much wanted to see the Skinnies. At least they show up in Roughnecks Chronicles...
robodaz

Post by robodaz »

greg wrote:Wow, so you're familiar with MST3K! It's one of my favorite shows, but I admit that it's the worst when you are sitting with someone who is being snarky in the theater, and he's the only one who thinks he's funny. Some fail to realize that comedy is when you make others laugh; when you're the only one laughing, it's just you being an annoying dork.
I'm not sure what cons would have been like without Mystery Science Theatre back in the day. I have no idea where I encountered it first, but I can't go very long without a bit of a fix.

And you are right about the snark. I think if we'd not been the only ones in the house we'd have been bounced harder than a rubber cheque.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Ah yes, that's Rifftrax, the guys from MST3K's latter years. I can imagine most people viewing it had already seen Starship Troopers. The movie was brainless fun that didn't do justice to the Heinlein novel, so it's ripe for riffing. There are some movies that are almost painful to watch without their commentary, such as The Room and Birdemic.
Oh man, YES. Rifftrax is great, Nitro and I went to their showing of "Manos: The Hand of Fate", and it was even funnier than when they did it on MST3K. (God, that movie was terrible. XD)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*