Heibi's Japan Trip

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Heibi's Japan Trip

Post by Heibi »

Well, here are a few pictures of my trip to Japan in September. I got the Kika drink(Orange Juice).
Attachments
Me at the Gundam Cafe
Me at the Gundam Cafe
IMAG0366_BURST002.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
IMAG0378_BURST002.jpg
IMAG0378_BURST002.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
At the base of Sky Tree
At the base of Sky Tree
DSC00519.JPG (116.59 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
One of our favorite meals.
One of our favorite meals.
IMAG0385_BURST002.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
A friend wanted some Pokeman trinkets
A friend wanted some Pokeman trinkets
IMAG0358_BURST002.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
Gotta love a place where Gundam gets advertising on a bus.
Gotta love a place where Gundam gets advertising on a bus.
IMAG0428_BURST002.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
Hokkaido style ramen. My friend had this one, I had one without the eggs on top. I was delicious.
Hokkaido style ramen. My friend had this one, I had one without the eggs on top. I was delicious.
IMAG0412_BURST002.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Heibi's Japan Trip

Post by usamimi »

Looks like you had fun! All that great food...and even the Gundam Cafe! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

That looks like the Gundam Cafe on the basement level of Tokyo Station! Did you tour the Character Street down there too?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I am glad you were able to go to Japan this September. I just turned forty this year and I was hoping to go, but I really have got to do more foundational things to prepare for the trip. I been watching the JapanChannelDCom on youtube. I am struggling learning my cello, and losing weight right now. Got a lot of goals to make before I go to Japan. I want to go for about a month at a time. I was wondering should I take a leave of absence from my job or just wait three more years and I will have a month of paid vacation. How long did you stay? What obstacles did you have to tackle to get to go?
***^__^***
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

yusaku wrote:I was wondering should I take a leave of absence from my job or just wait three more years and I will have a month of paid vacation.
It really depends on the nature of your work. The last time I came to Japan for 4 weeks (before I moved here, of course), I had a cyclical job. The first week of the month was crunch time, inputting forecasts, and then at the end of the month, I would run reports for the actuals, then compare them to the forecasts and track the variations. So, it was easy to have another analyst cover for me while I was gone during the slow weeks. Also, I was a contractor, so they didn't care if I was gone, since the company didn't have to pay me. The next job I had after that though, I was in a more crucial role.

So if you have the means (and the money), a whole month in Japan would be awesome. Get the rail pass and go anywhere you want!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

yusaku wrote:I am glad you were able to go to Japan this September. I just turned forty this year and I was hoping to go, but I really have got to do more foundational things to prepare for the trip. I been watching the JapanChannelDCom on youtube. I am struggling learning my cello, and losing weight right now. Got a lot of goals to make before I go to Japan. I want to go for about a month at a time. I was wondering should I take a leave of absence from my job or just wait three more years and I will have a month of paid vacation. How long did you stay? What obstacles did you have to tackle to get to go?
Stayed a week this time. Not too many obstacles. Just get a passport(no visa required), good shoes(worked in), work out a little for all the walking you'll do, save money to spend on what you want to do or buy over there.

I try to go once a year. I'm retired now so it's easy to make the time. Even when I was in the Air Force I'd made the time. Plus I wanted to be as far away from work as possible.
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

Let me add a couple more. One more from the Gundam Cafe. We walked all over looking for it and found tons of character related stores. And one from Ikebukuro.
Attachments
If you see Gundam on a floor, you must go see it.
If you see Gundam on a floor, you must go see it.
IMAG0430_BURST002.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5295 times
And the Gundam on display in the cafe.
And the Gundam on display in the cafe.
IMAG0365_BURST002.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5295 times
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

:lol: I love the guys peaking over behind you, like "Hey, what's up?" :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

usamimi wrote::lol: I love the guys peaking over behind you, like "Hey, what's up?" :mrgreen:
Yeah, I noticed that too. He even smiled for the camera.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Greg and Hebei thanks for the info. It is good news no visa is necessary. I may just do an early retirement from my job. I got two more years to go before I am vested. It will give me time to get the weight down and learn some japanese. I was thinking of taking the JLPT next year. I want to meet and talk with some of the Japanese there. Hopefully, I can get to level four out of five onn the test before I go. I do not know if I will wait that long though. It may be best to go as soon as possible.

I want to go to AWA con in Atlanta next because I did say I was going. I just have to see how much I am able to save as well. I could shorten my trip to Japan make it only a week. Then go to the con and take it light on the collectibles. Then doing both might be possible. Thanks again guys!
***^__^***