"Super Typhoon" Vongfong heading for Japan

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

"Super Typhoon" Vongfong heading for Japan

Post by greg »

Oh crap. And we just had a typhoon earlier this week. They're saying that this is the most powerful typhoon since the one in the Philippines a year ago, which killed thousands of people. We'll have to close our storm shutters and pray that Japanese architecture is tougher than Filipino. People in the Philippines were literally blown away. It's said that Vongfong will weaken by the time it hits here, at least.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Re: "Super Typhoon" Vongfong heading for Japan

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Yeah, on a 3 day weekend too
greg

Post by greg »

I am pretty apprehensive about this storm. The winds of Hurricaine Katrina were only 80mph, but Vongfong's winds are over 140mph. We're leaving tonight to drive up to the family's place in Nagano-ken, but we may come back early due to the typhoon. Most likely, classes will be cancelled again on Tuesday, so I will stay at home with my daughter with the storm shutters shut on our windows and pray for the best. The winds will be pretty fierce, and if there are any 50ft tidal waves caused by this storm like what is being reported, then that will certainly add to flooding from the rain.

Mt. Fuji tends to protect us, though. It has some peculiar affect on weather, and often causes storms to divert around it. In the 3 years I've lived here, there hasn't been any terrible flooding, and we live pretty close to the ocean as well as the Fuji River. I will have plenty of candles if the power goes out, at least.

Here is another article on Super Typhoon Vongfong.

Crap. If I suddenly disappear off the Internet, then I am either without Internet access, homeless, or dead. They say that the different wind patterns here will clash against the typhoon and slow it down, but it's projected course will have it pass over the majority of the Japanese archipelago, affecting Kyuushuu catastrophically.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Super Typhoon Vongfong. What a crazy scary name. :shock:

Best of luck Greg. Hopefully you guys manage to dodge the worst of it.
greg

Post by greg »

My friend reminded me that Hurricaine Katrina was terrible because the levy broke. Still, this super typhoon has winds faster than a typical tornado, since those average about 110mph.

Today was a beautiful, sunny day. Tomorrow should be nice too. It'll start raining Monday. At best, it'll be an excuse to take a day off from work.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I hope everything'll be ok. :( Stay safe, Japan friends!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Well, so far this typhoon isn't too "super" in my book. It seems to be passing over the country too quickly to truly saturate the streets with rain. There are no insane winds, either. I'm watching the NHK news now and they're showing some rushing waters in Hyougo Prefecture, but so far no serious flooding. It's been only lightly raining tonight, but by the sound of it outside, it's starting to come down quite a bit. I don't think I'll lose much sleep over it.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Just hard rain and that was it. Everything was cool up in Utsunomiya where I live
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, I saw some video on the news of some people sweeping water out from a shop in Osaka. I think a lot of flooding from these typhoons are just the fault of civil engineering, and blocked drains. I think in preparation for this typhoon, and especially in lieu of the previous one, they made sure to remove the trash blocking drains and such to make sure that streets don't get flooded.

On Sunday, they were showing footage from a really terrible typhoon back in 2004 that really wreaked havoc. I was afraid that this typhoon would be more of the same, but ut really wasn't. All that worry for nothing. The typhoon passed by rather quickly last night, in just a few short hours. Now that today is bright and sunny, I was disappointed that classes were not cancelled. I was looking forward to a day off today. :(
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page