The Ramen Museum in Yokohama

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

The Ramen Museum in Yokohama

Post by greg »

This past weekend was a 3-day weekend here in Happy J-Land. My mom-in-law drove down from Nagano-ken to stay with us Friday afternoon. On Sunday, we drove to Yokohama. We visited the Ramen Museum, which for some reason is called the "Raumen Museum." What's up with that "u" in there? Nobody calls it "raumen." Anyway, the website is [url=http:www.raumen.co.jp]here.[/url] It is easy walking distance from Shin Yokohama Station (where the shinkansen stops). It is a ramen-themed theme park, if you can imagine. Just look at the images on the website. The interior is made to look like the streets of Tokyo circa the 1950s. Everything looks weathered. Laundry even hangs from the windows of apartments. It simulates crowded back alleys and the shops that can be found in such places. There's a 300 yen admission. There are about 10 or so ramen restaurants located in the building, as well as some other shops. There's a "dagashi" shop there, an old-fashioned candy store. I bought a ramune soda and some gum to tone down the ramen aftertaste in my mouth. (BTW, did you know that "ramune" is a very old word, a butchered, primitive interpretation of the word "lemonade"? I recently learned this.)

I took several pictures. I'll upload those to my homepage soon.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Re: The Ramen Museum in Yokohama

Post by greg »

I forgot to follow up with posting a link to the pictures I took at the Ramen Museum. (Or "Raumen Museum" as it is written at the entrance. Nobody bothered asking if "ramen" is spelled with a "U" or not.)
The gallery is here: http://stevethefish.net/life/life100.htm

My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I was originally going to move to Kansai but a much better opportunity came up in Yokohama so I will be moving there in the upcoming weeks. I will be sure to visit.
greg

Post by greg »

I'm glad you could find a new job!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Give me 90 days and I can do it. Thanks. Will probably go Monday if possible and just trying to get a new apartment ready.
greg

Post by greg »

You're a lot closer to me now, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy living in Kanagawa-ken. I think the next time my mom-in-law comes to stay with us, we will drive out to Yokohama again and visit the cup noodle museum at Minato Mirai 21.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo »

It'd be nice to meet a fellow member and a fellow former resident of Arizona (are you still legally an Arizona resident? Thankfully our driver licenses are good until our 65th birthdays)
greg

Post by greg »

ParaParaJMo wrote:It'd be nice to meet a fellow member and a fellow former resident of Arizona (are you still legally an Arizona resident? Thankfully our driver licenses are good until our 65th birthdays)
I don't think I am. I am no longer registered to vote in AZ, I'm pretty sure. The plus side to that they can't call me to jury duty from the other side of the world. ;) By the time I am 65, I plan to still be here and I won't have any use for my old driver's license anyway.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page