Twilight of the Cockroaches?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Twilight of the Cockroaches?

Post by mbanu »

What a strange film. (^_^) I've heard that it never received an official release of higher quality than laserdisc, although grey market DVDs are available -- anyone know if that's true? I know it was aired on the Sci-Fi Channel for a while...
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu

Re: Twilight of the Cockroaches?

Post by mbanu »

mbanu wrote:I know it was aired on the Sci-Fi Channel for a while...
Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure about this. (^_^;) It might have been another channel... TNT? Cartoon Network? I'm pretty sure this got a TV broadcast, though. (^_^)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

It was on Cartoon Network as part of their "Night of the Vampire Robots" (where they showed that, Vampire Hunter D, and Robot Carnival).
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

usamimi wrote:It was on Cartoon Network as part of their "Night of the Vampire Robots" (where they showed that, Vampire Hunter D, and Robot Carnival).
Thanks for the info! I wonder what the story behind that is... Twilight of the Cockroaches seems like an odd choice for the Cartoon Network.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Never saw it but remember reading an article about it! I'm surprised it hasn't been distributed by anyone on DVD.

Someone put the dub on Youtube though--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ZKTwZ6UoI
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

mbanu wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm
usamimi wrote:It was on Cartoon Network as part of their "Night of the Vampire Robots" (where they showed that, Vampire Hunter D, and Robot Carnival).
Thanks for the info! I wonder what the story behind that is... Twilight of the Cockroaches seems like an odd choice for the Cartoon Network.
CN Night of the Vampire Robots Promo

In addition to the Cartoon Network broadcasts, they were on other Superstation TBS and TNT, too (but not as a block). All of those productions, at the time, were Streamline dubs but I don't know that Turner or Streamline had any deeper deal than just a broadcast agreement. Probably nothing more than like how the Saturday Anime programming block on Sci-Fi was mostly Central Park titles. "Night of the Vampire Robots" was very heavily promoted, from what I recall, but the TBS and TNT broadcasts were not - I feel like almost stumbling on Vampire Hunter D with my dad on a Saturday afternoon on TBS.

In so far as why they selected them, on Cartoon Network, all of those ran overnight. At that time, CN would get interesting programming later at night and early morning hours but nothing really like Adult Swim levels for another couple of years. Several things I remember would be trying to feature more international animation (there was a periodic program on late called Oh! Canada that was all Canadian animation) or some more off-beat programming. I feel like it wasn't until Toonami and Adult Swim in the late 90s that the network became a lot more wrote in its programming, reserving the most unique programming for it's unique blocks.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I'm kinda waiting on someone online though some websites I'm part of to upload these airings of Night of the Vampire Robots recordings. From what I gather, these made up late night content for Cartoon Network other than Space Ghost in the mid 90's, and 6 years before the Adult Swim block came on TV. There has been some recordings of the 90's Sci Fi Saturday Anime stuff to come up here and there, I know on youtube someone uploaded the airing of Project A-Ko off Sci Fi Saturday Anime (got it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW1vc_9e_Y).
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I caught this in the theaters during the Streamline release - at the Student Center theater at UGA in Athens, where they have a little opening animation that features the UGA bulldog mascot imitating the MGM lion and the audience hollers "woof" - and honestly it was OK, but not a great film. I can see where those making DVD decisions might take a pass on it.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:56 am I'm kinda waiting on someone online though some websites I'm part of to upload these airings of Night of the Vampire Robots recordings. From what I gather, these made up late night content for Cartoon Network other than Space Ghost in the mid 90's, and 6 years before the Adult Swim block came on TV. There has been some recordings of the 90's Sci Fi Saturday Anime stuff to come up here and there, I know on youtube someone uploaded the airing of Project A-Ko off Sci Fi Saturday Anime (got it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW1vc_9e_Y).
From what I remember, the Night of the Vampire Robots special was a one-time event (and I don't remember it being that many years before [as]); I am sure someone has it taped somewhere (since lots of anime fans are borderline hoarders - myself included). I honestly would have been the prime candidate to tape these and I wonder why I never did... I must not have had a completely empty tape around and if teenage me couldn't stay up all night to watch cartoons then teenage me certainly wasn't going to get up in the middle of the night to swap tapes. It'd be nice to see a recording again for the nostalgia factor.
davemerrill wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 am I caught this in the theaters during the Streamline release - at the Student Center theater at UGA in Athens, where they have a little opening animation that features the UGA bulldog mascot imitating the MGM lion and the audience hollers "woof" - and honestly it was OK, but not a great film. I can see where those making DVD decisions might take a pass on it.
Yeah, I never remember anyone talking about the movie that seemed to really generate any passion. I actually want to go back and watch it now (which I did't think I'd ever think I'd say) regardless of the version.

(also that thing about the UGA Student Theater is about the most UGA thing I've heard in a while -.-)
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 am
From what I remember, the Night of the Vampire Robots special was a one-time event (and I don't remember it being that many years before [as]); I am sure someone has it taped somewhere (since lots of anime fans are borderline hoarders - myself included). I honestly would have been the prime candidate to tape these and I wonder why I never did... I must not have had a completely empty tape around and if teenage me couldn't stay up all night to watch cartoons then teenage me certainly wasn't going to get up in the middle of the night to swap tapes. It'd be nice to see a recording again for the nostalgia factor.

(also that thing about the UGA Student Theater is about the most UGA thing I've heard in a while -.-)
I think someone out there has it and doesn't know about it. Its a matter of not if, but when someone puts that online.

Also, how many generations of that damn bulldog been alive for? Can't wait for college football season to roll around in about...oh, roughly 5 months from now.