Alita: Battle Angel delayed to Dec '18

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Alita: Battle Angel delayed to Dec '18

Post by usamimi »

Looks like the live-action Battle Angel Alita got pushed from a Summer movie to a Holiday movie now: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ta-1084263

Makes me wonder if they took the buzz on social media seriously and are going to "fix" the giant eyes they gave to Alita (as seen in the initial trailers). They haven't released any official statements on why, so I'll be curious if they do.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Alita: Battle Angel delayed to Dec '18

Post by DKop »

The eyes didn't bother me, and if that is the reason it's kinda a lame one for pushing the date back. It can work as a summer 2018 movie, and I think it might do better around then than at the end of the year when Oscar bait and Christmas films come out that'll get lost in the shuffle and hurt its return gross. I'm not sure if its going to make its budget back in the states, but it will overseas for sure.
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

I doubt they'll change the eyes considering there's already an official trailer out and everything. It'd make them look real bad in my opinion if they were to buckle under pressure and rework their post-production over some simple criticism.

I agree Dkop, I like the eyes as well and hope they stay the way they are. It was off putting originally, but I definitely like them now. If they're going for a uncanny valley effect, then they got my respect for pulling such a brave move.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

So I was reading up on this again, and noticed that they were adapting the first four tankobon to the movie so that they could get to Motorball. Any idea why they decided to try and compress volumes 1-4 into a single movie instead of just volume 1 or volume 1 and 2?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Probably because they think Motorball is some of the more exciting stuff that would appeal to moviegoers? That's what I'd assume anyway.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

True, and we have tech here now that I think would make it look absolutely brilliant! Hi-octane films always work really well at the cinema <3

I am hesitantly excited!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

A new trailer was posted today! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pYhpJaJW8

If you've read the manga, there's def some familiar scenes tucked away in there. This new trailer I think looks fairly promising! And because this trailer doesn't have a lot of close-ups of her face & focuses a little more on action sequences, I feel like her overall "look" is a bit easier to take in.

Still not sure why they pushed the movie to December, since they'll have to compete with a new Spider-Man film AND Aquaman, but I feel a bit more optimistic now seeing this than I was initially. Looks like it could be a lot of fun, hopefully the script is decent!
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

True... certain movies are getting clumped together. My personal thoughts on Solo is that the movie had not been fairly recent after Last Jedi, and while Avengers: Infinity Wars was still in theaters from a month previous, Deadpool 2 came out the week before, two weeks before Incredibles 2 and three weeks before Jurassic World.. all five of which share an audience to some extent.

Whereas... lets see...
Venom is a five weeks before 'Fantastic Beasts' and eight weeks after 'The Darkest Minds'.

Now, within 7 days of each other we have... 'Into the Spider-verse', 'Mortal Engines', 'Aqua man' 'Bumble Bee' and 'Battle Angel Alita'. (Mary Poppins Returns is also in that period and will also probably pull audiences.

I mean, I am the target audience for the movies listed above and I still haven't seen Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic, and one of the main reasons is I can not afford to go to all of those. (I actually saw Solo and Infinity Wars as a double feature, that was fun).

I currently have no idea which movie I will end up seeing in December, but I know that I will not pay to see all six of those in that week..
Akage

Post by Akage »

Saw the trailer during the Mission Impossible movie and I wonder if James Cameron will even be able to find the bar this time (South Park reference).

Seriously. Looked stupid. Why is Alita the only one with the weird eyes? If we're going for that whole anime feel, every humanoid character in the film should have it. Seems silly to just give one character the special effect to make her stand out more.

Not going to waste my money on this garbage when it's released in theaters. Maybe if they can't recoup their losses, they'll stop taking anime properties and turning them in to live action films.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Akage wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 pm Seriously. Looked stupid. Why is Alita the only one with the weird eyes? If we're going for that whole anime feel, every humanoid character in the film should have it. Seems silly to just give one character the special effect to make her stand out more.
I have no interest in seeing the movie either, but if I recall correctly even in the manga Alita has the most exaggerated and largest eyes compared to the rest of the cast? So this would actually be faithful to the source material if anything... It's been a while since I read the manga though, so maybe I'm forgetting other characters that contradict this.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog