Blade Runner

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Re: Blade Runner

Post by nordstar »

I am a big Blade Runner fan. The new Blu-Ray transfers look amazing, I really can't believe how great they look. The lights of the city on the intro flyover pop like crazy. I would love to have Deckard's apartment, that place really is cool. Also I am a huge Vangelis fan and the score of the film is one of the best.

Oh yeah, boy were there a lot of anime shows influenced by Blade Runner. I am in the process of rewatching Bubblegum Crisis right now. Tonight "Priss & The Replicants" and a lot of other visual nods. On one of the city billboards is a quick shot of Panthro from Thundercats. Its like an Easter egg overload.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

nordstar wrote:On one of the city billboards is a quick shot of Panthro from Thundercats. Its like an Easter egg overload.
No way! Which episode was that?

I just watched a video yesterday on YouTube with the guy from Mythbusters showing off his collection of replicas of Deckard's blaster gun. I'll have to wait until I get home before I can provide the link because YT is blocked at work. One of the guns is actually modeled after one of Syd Mead's concept drawings of the gun that was never used. I recognized it before he even said anything. ;) It looks cool, but I'm glad they didn't use that design because it looked too futuristic. It looks more of like a Cylon's laser gun from Battlestar Galactica.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

greg wrote:
nordstar wrote:On one of the city billboards is a quick shot of Panthro from Thundercats. Its like an Easter egg overload.

Its in the first episode.
greg wrote:I just watched a video yesterday on YouTube with the guy from Mythbusters showing off his collection of replicas of Deckard's blaster gun. I'll have to wait until I get home before I can provide the link because YT is blocked at work. One of the guns is actually modeled after one of Syd Mead's concept drawings of the gun that was never used. I recognized it before he even said anything. ;) It looks cool, but I'm glad they didn't use that design because it looked too futuristic. It looks more of like a Cylon's laser gun from Battlestar Galactica.
That would be Adam Savage. He is a huge movie prop fan. He also did model work on Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. He also has a prop of the gun from The Fifth Element that he has been working on since that movie came out. More of his stuff can be seen here: http://www.tested.com/inside-adam-savages-cave/
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

nordstar wrote:
greg wrote:

Its in the first episode.
http://www.thundercatslair.org/forums/s ... php?t=8066
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wasn't a lot of Thundercats animated in Japan? I remember someone telling me the director (I think??) of Tenchi Muyo's first gig was Thundercats. XD So maybe one of the animators worked on BGC, too? (Or an animator was a fan, at least~)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:Wasn't a lot of Thundercats animated in Japan?
Yeah, quite a lot of American cartoon shows were animated in Japan: ThunderCats, Silverhawks, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Dungeons & Dragons, etc. Some were overtly anime in style too, like Mighty Orbots and Galaxy Rangers.

Here's the link to Adam's Blade runner blaster video I mentioned.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Blade Runner is sitting ontop of my DVD player along with Day the Earth Stood Still and Forgotten Planet, that a co-worker lent me. I'm sure I'll love it when I get around to it. I've read several of Philip K Dick's other stories and they all seem top notch.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

You mean "Forbidden Planet" don't you? Picked up a bunch of DVDs from a liquidation place here for as little as $2 each new. Can't get around to watching them though as too much new stuff on TV like The Vikings (which just got a second season renewal), Dr. Who, Game of Thrones season 3, etc.
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

_D_ wrote:You mean "Forbidden Planet" don't you? Picked up a bunch of DVDs from a liquidation place here for as little as $2 each new. Can't get around to watching them though as too much new stuff on TV like The Vikings (which just got a second season renewal), Dr. Who, Game of Thrones season 3, etc.
Oops, your right. I think I was confusing it was a recent (very good) scifi book I read called "Forgotten Planet".

How are you liking the latest season of Game of Thrones?