What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by Animusubi »

Gosh, where do I begin? I keep up with a lot of television shows. D: Though I watch these online, it's a pain to actually watch them when they are scheduled.

How I Met Your Mother
New Girl
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Psych
Arrow
Supernatural
White Collar
Top Chef (when it's on)
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by llj »

Not much. I actually usually catch up on TV shows on DVD. I spend most of my nights either watching movies I rented or playing a video game.

But generally, I watch How I Met Your Mother and Mad Men. Though I've started skipping episodes in the last 2 seasons of HIMYM because I really want it to end now and I think that they're just wasting time. I'll probably watch next season, which is probably the last one. They'd better not wait to introduce the mother in the very last episode.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Catching up on The Office as it ends.
Waiting for Mad Men to start back up.
guilty pleasure: Hoarders
Enjoying the heck out of Bob's Burgers
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I like the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Other than that, all I really watch is NBC's Thursday night line up: Office, which sucks now, Community, and Parks and Rec. I was loving 30 Rock until that ended.

Although I did marathon the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad. Waiting for season 5 to show up on Netflix.

Oh yeah, and I also watched the first two seasons of Perfect Strangers on DVD recently. Some people say that show hasn't aged well. You know what I say to them? Of course it has, don't be ridiculous!
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

llj wrote:Though I've started skipping episodes in the last 2 seasons of HIMYM because I really want it to end now and I think that they're just wasting time. I'll probably watch next season, which is probably the last one. They'd better not wait to introduce the mother in the very last episode.
UGH, I totally agree! The last 2 seasons, while they did have some great episodes, OVERALL, the writing was just lazy and poor and some of the episodes were just pointless. Especially the ones with Barney's stripper girlfriend, I hated her. In fact, after all this time, Ted has become my least favorite character, almost to the point of hating him completely, and I blame the last two seasons for it, because I didn't hate him before. He was just slightly irritating at times. Now he almost seems to be a completely different character. I also hope the mother doesn't show up in the last episode and that's that. I did hear a rumor (or it could be true) that Jason Siegel (Marshall) has not signed on after 8 seasons, to pursue more movies. So I really don't know where this show is headed.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I finally bought a TV yesterday, actually! Since moving to Japan in January of last year, I've been without a TV this whole time. I tell my students that I don't have a TV, and they can't imagine not having one.

I need to buy a coaxial cable so that I can plug in and start watching TV. But for now, I can actually watch DVDs finally on a TV instead of my Toshiba Satellite laptop with its extremely quiet speakers.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I kinda fell out with HIMYM the same way...it just seemed like things weren't really...going anywhere? :/

I used to watch Psych religiously, but [SLIGHT SPOILER??] then after Shawn hooked up with Juliet, I got really bored because they kept shifting the focus of the story to their relationship. I thought the story flowed much better when it was just mostly Shawn and Gus being geeks together. XD I've heard that the series has gotten better recently, though, but idk. One of these days I might pick up watching it on Netflix again.

I used to also watch True Blood like a fiend but the tv storyline is getting really out-there and ridiculous, so I don't know if I'll keep watching? I might just read re-caps to see what happens because I dunno if it'd really be worth my time to keep watching at this point. I've watched a good chunk of Game of Thrones off and on and while I didn't hate it, I wouldn't say it's my favorite show or anything. ^^; It has it's moments.

I LOVE Mad Men, a friend convinced me to try it and I got totally hooked. I'm hoping Netflix will pick up the last season before the new one starts so I can get caught up! ;3; I've been wanting to watch Breaking Bad because a lot of my friends seem to really enjoy it...I saw a few random eps at my sister's house and it seemed interesting.

I also love Archer (hilarious animated show from part of the original crew that did Sealab and Frisky Dingo), The Walking Dead, Futurama, Metalocalypse, The Venture Brothers, Bob's Burgers, Adventure Time, Face Off, Oddities...and 2 of my biggest guilty pleasure shows: Rupaul's Drag Race and any of those Hoarding shows. :oops: To be fair, though, those Hoarding shows always always ALWAYS make me want to clean, either while I'm watching them or right after...so I figure that's a win-win, lol.

I feel like most TV shows out now are just sorta boring, or once they change writers end up being crappy, so I tend to watch a lot of stuff that's been out for ages on Netflix instead. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

HIMYM is an example of where a show with originally a modest goal in mind got much more popular than they expected. So they kept extending it and extending it because the TV ratings were high. I think it was only originally intended to run 3 seasons, 5 at most.

I honestly think the show started to slide when they started hiring all these celebrities to be guest stars instead of previous seasons when they just hired character actors to guest. I actually liked those Britney Spears episodes, but they pretty much started the show's gradual slide downwards.

I want to get into Boardwalk Empire but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I haven't watched a single episode of Game of Thrones and probably won't for a while, since I starting reading the novel series before it got super popular and got tired of it around book 4 or so. It's not a bad fantasy novel series but at some point all these people started overpraising it and jumping on the bandwagon while I always found it more just a modest pleasure.

When it comes to actually watching TV and not a TV series on DVD, I stick mostly to news and sports.
Last edited by llj on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote: I haven't watched a single episode of Game of Thrones and probably won't for a while, since I starting reading the novel series before it got super popular and got tired of it around book 4 or so. It's not a bad fantasy novel series but at some point all these people started overpraising it and jumping on the bandwagon while I always found it more just a modest pleasure.
I agree, it's not the most original fantasy series, or even the best, but since there isn't much fantasy on TV anymore I guess people are hoping if they give it enough ratings and praise we might get some more?

I almost forgot to mention that I'd been watching American Horror Story as the new seasons come out. The first one wasn't the best horror series I'd ever seen by far, but it had some good moments. The second season was MUCH better, and I liked it a lot more than the original. They just announced a third season recently, which supposedly will deal with a coven of witches...hopefully it'll be good.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

danth wrote:Oh yeah, and I also watched the first two seasons of Perfect Strangers on DVD recently. Some people say that show hasn't aged well. You know what I say to them? Of course it has, don't be ridiculous!
Oh wow, I used to watch that show! Cousin Larry and Cousin Balki. Wow. I think that was an ABC show, wasn't it?

I'd like to see Mr. Belvedere again someday. It was especially funny in the latter seasons. That sense of humor fit me well.

The one old sitcom I've been dying to see again is Get A Life. Rhino released the first season on DVD, but that's become so rare and expensive that I gave up on it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page