What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by llj »

Shows I watch semi-regularly now:

Scorpion
Mom
2 Broke Girls

Yeah, most of the shows I watch aren't Great Art (especially in the case of 2 Broke). I honestly don't have much time to religiously follow drama serials on TV anymore, and I just need some obvious lowbrow comedy sometimes.

TV on DVD, I'm close to finishing up Californication and Mad Men.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I am watching the following using my Hulu subscription:

Stargate Atlantis! I watch two episodes at a time. It was five five seasons and I am totally onto it!

Seinfeld -- What can I say. It was good then and it is still good now.
***^__^***
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I got into Silicon Valley and within a period of my last weekend, I got through the first two seasons and I am now starting on the third one. If anything, Mike Judge does a great job on comedy when it comes to taking part of a corporate environment and making it interestingly entertaining. I can tell this is a straight up mirror view of the culture that exists in Silicon Valley with certain jokes states and how awkward interaction can be with billionare tech giants. It's seems to be the more awkward a character is, the more they steal the spotlight.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

The new TV season is upon us and I have yet to finish stuff like Black Sails and Gotham from last season. Watched Stranger Things which was excellent. Just watched The Tick reboot pilot. Looking forward to the 4 way cross over on The CW network DC superheroes shows among others. I need more hours in the day just to play catch up...
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

_D_ wrote:The new TV season is upon us and I have yet to finish stuff like Black Sails and Gotham from last season. Watched Stranger Things which was excellent. Just watched The Tick reboot pilot. Looking forward to the 4 way cross over on The CW network DC superheroes shows among others. I need more hours in the day just to play catch up...
I enjoyed the new pilot for The Tick. I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy Peter Serafinowicz as much as Patrick Warburton (he really seemed tailor-made for that role to me), but I still thought he did a good job. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Stranger Things was indeed excellent. I'm glad to see the show enjoying so much success. I was a bit worried it would be too niche for Netflix to give it another season or take another chance on this kind of show. Given the show's popularity, that does not appear to be the case.

I'm so far behind on the CW superhero shows! I really need to catch up.
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Guyver I »

At the moment, I'm currently watching a few Go Nagai series; I'm doing a presentation at some conventions coming up talking about the links between the works of H.P Lovecraft and anime/manga, so at the moment, watching the original 70s Devilman, and the 90s OVAs of Demon Lord Dante.

Oh, and rewatching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, having gotten back into that since reading the new novels!
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Finally got caught up on One Piece. Watched the whole 750+ episodes over an 8 month time period. Watched Luke Cage on Netflix. That was good. Looking forward to Iron Fist next. New CW season starts tonight but I'm already behind in other shows. The PVR is going to fill up too quickly this year...
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

_D_ wrote:Finally got caught up on One Piece. Watched the whole 750+ episodes over an 8 month time period. Watched Luke Cage on Netflix. That was good. Looking forward to Iron Fist next. New CW season starts tonight but I'm already behind in other shows. The PVR is going to fill up too quickly this year...
Luke Cage was so good! Jessica Jones is still my favorite of the Marvel Netflix series, but they are all very good. Hopefully Iron Fist will continue the trend!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I really need to start Luke Cage, heard nothing but good things. I recently started "Pitch" and it's pretty interesting so far. Story centers around a woman becoming a major league pitcher & the hurdles she has to go through. So far it's very realistic & I could see most of these scenarios actually happening if something like this really did happen.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Since the Fall season started, I mainly keep up with the CW shows. Out of the 4, in this order of which I like the most, it'd be Flash, Legends, Supergirl, and Arrow.

Flash continues to be, what I think, is the best show on tv. I freakin' cry almost every other episode I swear. LOL

Legends secondly, because of just all the crazy stuff going on. It has the most crossover stuff going on currently, lots more superheroes popping up, and I've been enjoying the episodes quite a bit. The recent one they ended up going to feudal Japan, and I'm pretty sure some of the guys working on the episodes were fans of tokusatsu or anime, because there's a small scene in there that's totally like it.

Supergirl isn't too different from the move from CBS to CW, minus a few different sets and losing a major part of the first season. But overall I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure I like the nods to current politics or pop culture, considering the DC universe isn't really set in the real world (like mentioning the Kardashians or Obama), kinda takes me out of it. But I love the cast, and I'm really just waiting for that crossover.

Arrow is definitely the weakest of the shows. Consistently, whoever is working as crew on this show, doesn't notice how...sloppy some of the fight scenes are, or how many mistakes you can point out in an episode, like items that fly out of pockets, or noticing wires or two. Get it together, Arrow! It also has some of the most boring episodes. Though my favorite character this season is the new addition of Ragman, the character is really cool, despite the not-so-cool name.

Also loved season 11 of Supernatural, I binged it right before the new season. And so far I'm enjoying the new season very much. I feel like the show found it's stride, because all the episodes from S11 onward have been fantastic!

Agents of Shield having Ghost Rider (Felipe Smith's version, Robbie Reyes) has been a treat. But Shield hasn't been the same since the first season, so it's hit and miss a lot of the time. And they keep losing their good cast.

Behind on New Girl, Big Bang Theory, and Gotham. I tried out Pitch too, not sure if I'm gonna keep up with it or not.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram