What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by _D_ »

Everyone gearing up for mid season replacements as some shows have ended their limited runs. Have been watching Arrow (great stuff), Sleepy Hollow, Dracula, Agents of SHIELD. Gearing up for Walking Dead, Game of Thrones among others. Still have to watch last and this season of Grimm. PVR says there are 819 shows to be watched! Good thing I have a bit of time and winter is colder and snowier than normal so I'm staying in a lot more. New shows like Helix and Bitten have just started, so even more stuff. Then there are the Brit shows like Orphan Black and Sherlock. Ai yi yi...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

So how is Agents of SHIELD turning out? I've heard it is disappointing, but that was from only one source.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I stopped after 2 or 3 episodes just because it couldn't really hold my attention, sadly. I have other friends who love it, though, so I guess it all depends on if you can get "into" it or not.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Agents got a nod for a second season. Almost Human with Karl Urban is turning into a good buddy cop show with definite Judge Dredd overtones. Some of the crimes seem lifted right out of 2000AD stories. Too bad it's so low rated. Lots of new shows like Black Sails or Bitten or Helix but also mid season stuff starts after the Olympics. Black Sails is just plain fun though there have been some slow episodes. It's like an R rated Treasure Island since its characters come from that book. Not one for the kiddies to be watching. Vikings, season 2 starts in a week. That was a surprise hit last year. Lots more to try out like Ressurection, Sherlock (only 9 episodes over 3 seasons), the Walking Dead (mid season started last week), etc. So many shows, so little time...
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Hahaha...well, right now it's the Olympics. Hey, a question for Greg--how big is Mao Asada in Japan and what makes her so popular? As far as I can see, there have been more successful figure skaters in Japan before and since, but commentators here says she was voted Japan's most popular athlete.

Felt sad for her disastrous short program, but she was the highlight of the free skate.
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Really disappointed with S.H.I.E.L.D... Watched 2 eps before junking it in. I was a huge fan of Buffy back in the day but Whedon-style scripting has not aged well. It was sameface "quirky" tee-hee-imma-gurl-doin-SCIENCE (big wow these days) kids that nobody gave a monkey's about. *Shrug*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

llj wrote:Hahaha...well, right now it's the Olympics. Hey, a question for Greg--how big is Mao Asada in Japan and what makes her so popular? As far as I can see, there have been more successful figure skaters in Japan before and since, but commentators here says she was voted Japan's most popular athlete
I am not sure why Mao Asada seems so controversial outside of Japan, but here she was the gold hopeful because she's striving for this for so long. They have been making a big deal about her here, that's for sure. I believe this is her second time at the Olympics. She fell last time, I believe I saw. Aside from the fact that the name "Mao" is cute by default for some reason, I think everyone is just hoping that she'd medal this time around. Her performance in the 2013 world championship in Canada was a lot cuter than at Sochi, I thought. She lost again to Korea's Yuna Kim, who seems to have more style and composure, not to mention more confidence as well. The way Yuna paused to hold her hand to her face... the audience collectively had a moe experience and the heart-melting sound could be heard. It's too bad she didn't get the gold.

I have to confess that I have a huge man-crush on gold medalist, Yuzuru Hanyu. Not only for being an extremely handsome man, but the guy fell twice and still won the gold medal! The guy has so much speed and style that he was like, "Oh, I fell down? I didn't even notice." Man, he did an awesome job! Apparently this arena is dominated by male skaters from the USA and Russia (the blond-haired Russian guy is also a real hearbreaker with the ladies and got a lot of attention here too), so Hanyu's win is a fantastic feat. Check out Hanyu's flawless performance at the 2013 Japan Nationals in which he really was suave and sexy.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yuna Kim is basically the perfect skater. She's just on another realm. In one sense, it's difficult to really root for her since she seems like she came from another planet. She never falls down, never makes mistakes and she's really good looking to boot. Mao can't compete with that. Although I felt Kim was really detached at Sochi, like she was going 50%. She's so good that at 50% she can still have a chance to get gold, but she was lacking the extra pep that won so many people over in Vancouver.

Among skating purists and her peers, Mao's free skate at Sochi is being considered one of the greatest free skates of all time. Triple Axel, plus landing 8 triple jumps in general made her free skate by far the most difficult program of all the women of the night. I never thought she had the ability to get gold because of her inconsistent nature, but because she tries so hard and is so stubborn about doing the most difficult jumps, when she puts it together she can really blow people away. But she can't sustain that for more than 1 performance, unfortunately. Japanese I hear are still grumbling about her not medalling and her choking under pressure, but I can tell you over here a lot of people in the west thought she had the free skate performance for the ages. Everyone from Michelle Kwan to even young skaters like Hannah Miller were blown away by it. It's like her destiny was not to win gold but to put on one iconic skate.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

PinkAppleJam wrote:Really disappointed with S.H.I.E.L.D... Watched 2 eps before junking it in. I was a huge fan of Buffy back in the day but Whedon-style scripting has not aged well. It was sameface "quirky" tee-hee-imma-gurl-doin-SCIENCE (big wow these days) kids that nobody gave a monkey's about. *Shrug*
It's not Joss past the pilot. It's his brother Jed and Jed's wife. The show doesn't get anywhere until after the first big reveal at about episode 10 or so. Setting up for some other big reveals before season end. I still prefer Arrow though. The villains are straight out of Batman: Royal Flush Gang, Suicide Squad, Ras al Ghoul, Deadshot, Deathstroke, Huntress, Canary, etc. SHIELD has some building to do...
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Agents of SHIELD does progressively get better, but I do admit the show has its problems but yet has so much potential. Arrow's first season wasn't spectacular as well but it got better but as stated earlier, tends to borrow more from Batman's rouges gallery which is what I partially like and don't like about it. Buffy didn't have a great first season either but I think it got better. I thought Breaking Bad's first season wasn't that impressive outside of Bryan Cranston's acting and I feel it doesn't get the praise it deserves until you get into the latter half of season 3 and from there on out becomes the show it is looked up to be. I think Agents of SHIELD after the release of Captain America will be a very spectacular show.

Other than that, I still watch Law & Order Special Victims Unit.