What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by usamimi »

Recently Nitro & I have been watching more Game Center CX before we go to bed. It's great because there's always gonna be episodes neither of us have seen before. I've prolly said it before, but one of my favorite things about it is the segments where he goes to little out-of-the-way mom & pop shops to see what they sell and play games. It's so fun to see all these places that have been in business for years that are still going strong!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Recently Nitro & I have been watching more Game Center CX before we go to bed. It's great because there's always gonna be episodes neither of us have seen before. I've prolly said it before, but one of my favorite things about it is the segments where he goes to little out-of-the-way mom & pop shops to see what they sell and play games. It's so fun to see all these places that have been in business for years that are still going strong!
Game Center CX is a cool show! If you have the DVD box set, would you recommend it? It seems to be perpetually on my wish lists, but I've yet to actually purchase the set.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by greg on 2015/10/27, 18:29:36 PDT :

Re: What are you currently watching on tv? :

At the used media superstore on the edge of town last weekend, I bought the first season box set of Twin Peaks. We watched the pilot and episode 1 so far. Even my daughter is somewhat interested in it, because it involves ghosts.

I haven't seen this show in about 16 years or so when I rented it from my college library. I remember for the longest time avoiding getting this series on DVD because for some stupid reason, they kept thinking that people would rather see the lousy pilot movie that was released in Europe instead of the actual pilot episode that was aired on TV. I remember watching that movie and how confusing it was. Most of it is the same as the TV pilot episode, but at the end they suddenly tacked on some convenient, absurd ending. It was only really meant to pitch the show to network execs to convey the feel of the show and not really intended to be taken seriously, but they released it in Europe as a stand-alone movie. They believed that we actually wanted to see that instead of what we knew on TV back in 1990.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/10/28, 06:44:55 PDT :

quote Kame-Sen'nin
Game Center CX is a cool show! If you have the DVD box set, would you recommend it? It seems to be perpetually on my wish lists, but I've yet to actually purchase the set. quote

I haven't picked up the DVD set yet, sadly. I'm curious about it, too!

Huh, I didn't know they changed the Twin Peaks pilot so much for Europe, Greg! I'd never seen it. That's interesting. I keep wanting to pick up that Twin Peaks blu-ray set that came out not too long ago, but now that the holidays are rolling around again, maybe I'll just put it on my xmas wish list...

The other night, I watched the pilot to the new Supergirl TV show, and I really enjoyed it! It was fun, action-packed, and had a lot of heart. If I'd seen this as a teenager or young kid, I'd be ALL OVER IT, I tell ya....I would've immediately wanted a million pieces Supergirl merch, lol. The pilot was great, so I'll prolly try to watch more of it. I hope it keeps that momentum up!

Originally written by greg on 2015/10/29, 23:53:23 PDT :

Yeah, the Twin Peaks movie pilot is odd. It sets up the story, introducing all of the characters that you eventually learn that they all are connected to each other somehow. Then suddenly they find the one-armed man in the hospital, he spills the beans, and then they head down to the basement of the hospital where Bob is holding some sort of weird, Satanic ritual with candles or something and they shoot him dead. I think they just tacked on some lame ending to either market the pilot as a movie in Europe and also maybe to market the show to networks. It should only be seen by die-hard Twin Peaks fans just out of curiosity only. It's almost as bad as recommending the Star Wars Christmas Special to someone who hasn't seen Star Wars yet. Well, okay, it's not even as close to being as bad as that, but still...

As for the Game Center CX DVD box set put out by Discotek, it is fun to watch. However, you won't get the same experience as watching the show. It only shows the game challenge of each episode, so you won't see the console reviews, visits to game centers, interviews, and the like. Unfortunately, even the Japanese DVDs do not feature these. I think it must be due to licensing or something.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/11/02, 06:20:13 PST :

quote greg As for the Game Center CX DVD box set put out by Discotek, it is fun to watch. However, you won't get the same experience as watching the show. It only shows the game challenge of each episode, so you won't see the console reviews, visits to game centers, interviews, and the like. Unfortunately, even the Japanese DVDs do not feature these. I think it must be due to licensing or something. quote

Oh, really? That's a shame. I know there's restrictions when it comes to Japanese filming sometimes, I guess that must be part of it. It's still a fun show, but I agree that it does loose something without those in-between segments!

Originally written by greg on 2015/11/03, 18:18:16 PST :

Boy, I haven't watched Twin Peaks for about 15 years or so. I never noticed it before, but most of the drama is based upon infidelity and forbidden love. It's hard to imagine a small town with a zero homicide rate when everyone is cheating on each other. You'd think they'd be trying to murder each other more often.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/07, 22:49:01 PST :

quote usamimi quote greg As for the Game Center CX DVD box set put out by Discotek, it is fun to watch. However, you won't get the same experience as watching the show. It only shows the game challenge of each episode, so you won't see the console reviews, visits to game centers, interviews, and the like. Unfortunately, even the Japanese DVDs do not feature these. I think it must be due to licensing or something. quote

Oh, really? That's a shame. I know there's restrictions when it comes to Japanese filming sometimes, I guess that must be part of it. It's still a fun show, but I agree that it does loose something without those in-between segments! quote
I was recently given the Discotek release of Game Center CX as a gift, and these segments are indeed absent from what I've watched so far not that I doubted Greg's expertise . Of course, it's still a fun show!

Originally written by greg on 2015/11/15, 17:54:10 PST :

I record Game Center CX every weekend. I don't watch much TV at all though, especially since I'm usually chased away from the TV. Some episodes are rather boring, like when he played Pilot Wings on the SFC. But even that is more interesting than when he plays those boring horse race games and such. I couldn't care less about such games. I typically skip through those episodes and just watch the filler material, because watching Arino play Metal Slug on a Neo Geo Candy cabinet at a back street candy store is way more interesting than watching some Famicom business man simulator or paint drying simulator.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/11/29, 08:03:21 PST :

quote greg I record Game Center CX every weekend. I don't watch much TV at all though, especially since I'm usually chased away from the TV. Some episodes are rather boring, like when he played Pilot Wings on the SFC. But even that is more interesting than when he plays those boring horse race games and such. I couldn't care less about such games. I typically skip through those episodes and just watch the filler material, because watching Arino play Metal Slug on a Neo Geo Candy cabinet at a back street candy store is way more interesting than watching some Famicom business man simulator or paint drying simulator. quote

So true!! I feel the same way. Some of the games they get for him to play are a total bore...if it wasn't for those in between segments, I'd probably skip right through all those kinds of episodes.

I love that nearly EVERY candy or stationary shop has SOME kind of Metal Slug game, without fail! Were those just the cheapest cabinets to buy at some point? Nitro and I will always go Oh, which one's Metal Slug?! whenever we see him outside a candy stationary place, lol.

Originally written by llj on 2015/11/30, 13:22:21 PST :

Not on TV anymore exactly, but I started watching Californication. Finished the 1st season, liked it. Will watch some more.

Originally written by Animusubi on 2015/12/21, 22:00:24 PST :

I've already been gushing about it on all social media, but I just finished Season 1 of AMC's new show, Into the Badlands . And I'm totally in love with it.

It's basically a martial arts sci fi show very loosely based on Journey to the West. AGAIN, A MARTIAL. ARTS. SHOW! Stephen Fung is a producer on the show, and it stars Daniel Wu. There's a few cool cameo appearances too! The first season is only 6 episodes long, and I highly recommend you all check it out! O I really want a season 2, STAT!

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/12/24, 08:57:47 PST :

quote Animusubi I've already been gushing about it on all social media, but I just finished Season 1 of AMC's new show, Into the Badlands . And I'm totally in love with it.

It's basically a martial arts sci fi show very loosely based on Journey to the West. AGAIN, A MARTIAL. ARTS. SHOW! Stephen Fung is a producer on the show, and it stars Daniel Wu. There's a few cool cameo appearances too! The first season is only 6 episodes long, and I highly recommend you all check it out! O I really want a season 2, STAT! quote
I've heard that this show is great! I really need to check it out.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

The Flash is slowly becoming my new favorite show, I have loved it since the first episode and it's never disappointed me. I do watch Supergirl, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow as well, but Flash is def. my fave of all of them. Legends of Tomorrow just started, and it gets better as it goes on.

I recently also finished Silicon Valley, which I thought was HILARIOUS. Can't wait for the new season!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I've been watching the new X-files and...it's a mixed bag. Some eps have been OK, but some have been kinda awful? :/ kind of a bummer, but it's at least cool to see Mulder & Scully again.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I was kind of afraid of how Millennials and Generation Z's would respond to the new X-Files. It seems like it was a show ideally suited to the 90s...with SO MANY people now who are jaded paranoid conspiracy theorists, the magic of X-Files may not have the same power to shock and inspire like it used to. I also wondered just how much new ground they could cover. I mean, the criticisms for the old X-Files was that it went on too long, and near the end, they had pretty much run out of new storylines and angles.

For a brief period in the mid 90s, I used to watch every episode of the X-Files. This had to have been the first 3-4 seasons or so. It capitalized on a complacent and 'happy' period in North America where things more or less were going well--certainly compared to after 2000--and X-Files was all about reminding viewers about the shady things that went on behind the scenes, and told us to distrust the government at a time when people were still kind of "innocent" in a way. It brought back the mystery and allure of aliens, roswell, and all that ilk, but what do Millennials and young people think about all that now?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:I was kind of afraid of how Millennials and Generation Z's would respond to the new X-Files. It seems like it was a show ideally suited to the 90s...with SO MANY people now who are jaded paranoid conspiracy theorists, the magic of X-Files may not have the same power to shock and inspire like it used to. I also wondered just how much new ground they could cover. I mean, the criticisms for the old X-Files was that it went on too long, and near the end, they had pretty much run out of new storylines and angles.

For a brief period in the mid 90s, I used to watch every episode of the X-Files. This had to have been the first 3-4 seasons or so. It capitalized on a complacent and 'happy' period in North America where things more or less were going well--certainly compared to after 2000--and X-Files was all about reminding viewers about the shady things that went on behind the scenes, and told us to distrust the government at a time when people were still kind of "innocent" in a way. It brought back the mystery and allure of aliens, roswell, and all that ilk, but what do Millennials and young people think about all that now?
Hmm, I'd be curious to hear what a much younger fan might think of it. I have a few friends that are only slightly younger than me watching the old eps on Netflix and they seem to really enjoy them! But I don't know many "millennials", I guess? So I'm not sure.

Some of the stuff they've done on the new show has been great (there was a were-monster episode that was SO fun, it's probably my favorite of the bunch so far), but for example, the most recent episode focused on a failed terrorist bomber, a pair of new agents that were basically Parallel Versions of Mulder & Scully, and Mulder going on a ridiculous drug trip...it was a huge mess, easily the worst episode of the season (well, the finale is next Monday, hopefully it's not worse than this).

This week I watched the first ep of the new 11.23.63 series, based on the Stephen King book. I haven't read the book, but the first episode was interesting enough to get my attention, so I look forward to seeing where it goes.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:
This week I watched the first ep of the new 11.23.63 series, based on the Stephen King book. I haven't read the book, but the first episode was interesting enough to get my attention, so I look forward to seeing where it goes.
I LOVED the book. One of my favorite time travel novels of all time, and I've read a LOT of time travel novels (could even say I became obsessed with time travel novels for a time--I was a The Time Traveler's Wife fan even before it was considered hip to be a fan of that book!). But I was always thinking that there was no way 11/22/63 could be adequately filmed (at least for a movie) because of all the little sidetrips and little non-important-but-fun adventures King takes to play around with the time travel concept. And those little moments were part of the fun of the book. But I expected that they would need to be chopped in a film adaptation.

A TV adaptation might do it justice though.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I've heard the book is great! I'm just terrible at reading anything long lately, as much as I enjoy some of King's work. Maybe now that I've started this series, I'll be inclined to check it out (since the book is ALWAYS better!). King is a producer on it, too, so that was another reason I wanted to check it out. It's supposed to be a "TV Mini Series", I believe, which might be a good balance of "too long for a movie, but don't want the show to go completely off the rails, like Under the Dome did." It's gonna be 8 eps, and each one is about an hour? So that seems like a good chunk of time to flesh the important stuff out. First ep is on Hulu if you have it, though I'm sure it'll be out on DVD once it's complete.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I dont watch a ton of "reality" TV shows, but I'm currently excited waiting for the finale of Rupauls Drag Race. I love this show!! XD My current fave is Kim Chi, who is a bit of a nerd, as you can see from this awesome Kirby outfit she has:
tumblr_nmxkq2Mexm1sqnzbwo3_500.jpg
tumblr_nmxkq2Mexm1sqnzbwo3_500.jpg (86.97 KiB) Viewed 4084 times