What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by greg »

HAPPINESS CHARGE! I recently scored the complete series of Red Dwarf and The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. on DVD! I had these sent to my friend in the States, who then mailed them to me along with the Record of Lodoss War TV series box set, Heroic Legend of Arslan, and some other anime DVDs I'd ordered from Amazon. He gets a fantastic shipping discount from his work, so I just received them today.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I'm finished Season 6 of Mad Men now.

I just cannot see Don Draper not dying at the end of the show. He will never be happy and worse, he's becoming increasingly out of touch with the changing world.
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Brisco County, Jr? That takes me back to 3rd and 4th grade.

Watched the season premieres of South Park and Agents of SHIELD. Totally loved both of them
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Saw the first episode of The Flash. Was really impressed. Grant Austin exceeded my expecations and glad they got the original actor, John Wesley Shipp, to play his dad.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I've been watching the 4th season of The Walking Dead now that it's on Netflix. So far I'm enjoying it more than the last two seasons.

I also taped the first episode of The Flash (literally taped it from TV onto VHS -- DVR is overrated!). I still need to watch it, though. Big fan of the original '90s Flash series.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Currently:

The Flash - great stuff
Gotham - weird cop show. The guy who plays Oswald Cobblepot is fantastic!
Arrow - slowed down a bit but I know it'll pick up
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - getting weird again
Ben 10 - looks like they are burning off the 30 episodes they completed
Star Wars Rebels - very juvenile but might be promising
Legend of Korra - looks like no more after this season
Dr. Who - I like Capaldi as the Doc but the episodes have been a bit lacking

Others I might try:

American Horror Story - the clown in Freakshow is the talk of the town
Forever - like New Amsterdam of a few years back
Outlander - based on books I never read

Looking forward to their return:

Black Sails - just got renewed for a third season
The 100 - the first episodes started out slow but really picked up later on
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I've finally discovered watching Band of Brothers. Produced by Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg, this is like watching Saving Private Ryan for hours on end. I missed this show originally because I did not have HBO, and here in Japan you can rent American TV shows. Heck, here you can rent movies period! We still have video rental stores here. Only the Tsutaya where my in-laws live has this series though. I've watched the first 3 DVDs, so that's 6 episodes so far. One of the captains is the actor from Office Space. I always wondered what happened to him, because I've never encountered him in other shows before. He's in this show, along with some others.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:Currently:

Others I might try:

American Horror Story - the clown in Freakshow is the talk of the town
AHS: Freakshow was a disappointment to me...it was all over the place and had way too many plot points going on. It felt like they were just throwing ideas out there and seeing what stuck. :/ So far, the only season I've really liked was the second, but I keep watching it because we're so starved for "horror" on mainstream TV, lol.

I'm still watching "Better Call Saul" on AMC. I'm really enjoying it so far, good stuff.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I just went on a Quentin Tarantino spree and watched

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Dusk till Dawn
Kill Bill I
Kill Bill II

I do not know why I was in the mood for that because I stay to the scifi and comedies mostly. I have been of a comedy binge of late. A lot of silly comedies. I feel the urge to watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure coming on.
***^__^***
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

greg wrote:I've finally discovered watching Band of Brothers. Produced by Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg, this is like watching Saving Private Ryan for hours on end. I missed this show originally because I did not have HBO, and here in Japan you can rent American TV shows. Heck, here you can rent movies period! We still have video rental stores here. Only the Tsutaya where my in-laws live has this series though. I've watched the first 3 DVDs, so that's 6 episodes so far. One of the captains is the actor from Office Space. I always wondered what happened to him, because I've never encountered him in other shows before. He's in this show, along with some others.
I really enjoyed Band Of Brothers; that's some excellent television right there. So many terrific actors, the scripts are tight, and the battle sequences rival just about every other war movie or TV show ever. At first I wanted the whole show to be about Ron Livingston's character (Nixon), but Damien Lewis really sells me with his Capt. Winters. The followup series "The Pacific" is also great; at points the grim depiction of the Pacific War was almost too much.