What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:I think Kitt does a lot of conventions these days. That's why she is fondly remembered. Newmar might do them as well but if she lives and works in California it might be she isn't going to do them outside that area. Lots of actors/actresses like that.
Sadly, Kitt passed away in 2008. Newmar actually does do conventions still, and has her own brand of wine that she promotes alongside her Batman fame.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

_D_
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by _D_ »

usamimi wrote:
_D_ wrote:I think Kitt does a lot of conventions these days. That's why she is fondly remembered. Newmar might do them as well but if she lives and works in California it might be she isn't going to do them outside that area. Lots of actors/actresses like that.
Sadly, Kitt passed away in 2008. Newmar actually does do conventions still, and has her own brand of wine that she promotes alongside her Batman fame.
Thanks for the update. Since I don't do conventions anymore I had no idea...

User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by usamimi »

No prob. I don't really go to any cons either would go to, but I remembered hearing about Kitt's death on the news. As for Newmar, I just Googled her website to see what she was up to. ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

ParaParaJMo
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Netflix Daredevil. Fucking awesome

User avatar
greg
Posts: 2159
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)
Location: Shizuoka-ken, Japan
Contact:

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by greg »

Yoni mo Kimyou na Monogatari (世にも奇妙な物語) is Japan's answer to such shows as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. Episodes are sporadic and come in specials throughout the year. In the recent episode, the stories were collaborated with famous writers and such (Go Nagai being one of them). Well, I've seen better episodes. The stories in this one are actually pretty boring. One of the stories stars Hiroshi Abe, who is well known for starring in the live-action movie of the manga/anime Thermae Romae, about a Roman who time slips into modern Japan, I think (haven't seen it). Anyhow, the episode he stars in has him as a yakuza guy who gets shot, ends up in the hospital, and eats some sort of magic, blue melon that grants him Reed Richards-like super powers. Then Luffy from One Piece jumps out of the TV, and he teams up with him Roger Rabbit-style. Pretty dumb. You know I don't care for One Piece, so hence my bias. I think the story would've worked better without Luffy, but it was obvious that there was money to be made here.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page

_D_
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by _D_ »

I have quite a few very old episodes of that series from the 1990s. I can't find much info on it from their own series web pages. They are all subbed in English but I never transferred more than a couple episodes. Another set of tapes for the "to do" list...

User avatar
Char Aznable
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:31 am
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s
Contact:

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by Char Aznable »

I've been watching Daredevil on Netflix. I had very low expectations since I don't care for most of the superhero movies/shows that are being churned out lately. Typically I'm not a fan of the grim-and-gritty "realism" nonsense they've been infusing into many of these comic book-based properties, but it works perfectly with Daredevil. There are also so many genuine nods to the comic. I just finished episode 6 tonight and, thus far, the show is incredible.
greg wrote:Anyhow, the episode he stars in has him as a yakuza guy who gets shot, ends up in the hospital, and eats some sort of magic, blue melon that grants him Reed Richards-like super powers. Then Luffy from One Piece jumps out of the TV, and he teams up with him Roger Rabbit-style.
:lol: That sounds so incredibly bizarre.

User avatar
greg
Posts: 2159
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)
Location: Shizuoka-ken, Japan
Contact:

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by greg »

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I finished Band of Brothers last week. I rented the final two DVD volumes when we stayed at the in-laws' place in Nagano-ken since the Tsutaya there has this series for rent. The part when they come across a concentration camp was particularly moving. The set up to that episode is that the soldiers had some concept that Nazis were evil, but they did not fully know how terrible their policies were. Apparently not even the nearby villagers knew what was going on.

After Germany surrendered, I was wondering what the final episodes had in stock. The show still provided some rather dramatic moments. I'd like to get this show for myself. I've seen a bluray box set of Band of Brothers along with The Pacific on Amazon. I'd like to get that someday since it will likely be the only way I can watch The Pacific without having to commit to some service I don't want. I still need to buy a bluray player though.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page

_D_
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by _D_ »

Thunderbirds Are Go! Season one ended today. Not bad for a kiddy show but not as dramatic as the original either. Oh well, now it gets replaced on my schedule by Star Wars Rebels season 2 which starts tonight with an hour long opening episode featuring the return of Darth Vader...

_D_
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I finished Band of Brothers last week. I rented the final two DVD volumes when we stayed at the in-laws' place in Nagano-ken since the Tsutaya there has this series for rent. The part when they come across a concentration camp was particularly moving. The set up to that episode is that the soldiers had some concept that Nazis were evil, but they did not fully know how terrible their policies were. Apparently not even the nearby villagers knew what was going on.

After Germany surrendered, I was wondering what the final episodes had in stock. The show still provided some rather dramatic moments. I'd like to get this show for myself. I've seen a bluray box set of Band of Brothers along with The Pacific on Amazon. I'd like to get that someday since it will likely be the only way I can watch The Pacific without having to commit to some service I don't want. I still need to buy a bluray player though.
How's the Internet connection where you are? XBMC/Kodi can be loaded onto a large number of devices and is officially in the Google Play store. Add the repositories from Seo-Michael and you are good to go. Channel Pear, Phoenix and IPTV Stalker must have something like 600 live feeds between them. Of course your time zone doesn't help but I think Kodi might be able to be set up with PVR functions these days. Never used it on any of my devices though...

Post Reply