Summer Movies 2013

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Summer Movies 2013

Post by Animusubi »

Anything you guys looking forward to watching?

I keep missing so many movies, but then they end up coming out on DVD anyways. Right now I really want to see Oz the Great and Powerful, GI Joe Retaliation, 42, and Oblivion. So far anyways.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Summer Movies 2013

Post by _D_ »

Saw GI Joe Retaliation but didn't enjoy it much. OZ was okay but some people were miscast IMO. Oblivion starts tomorrow in Canada and USA but has been doing good elsewhere as it was released overseas first. For upcoming movies: Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Riddick, among others.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Iron Man 3 comes out at the end of April here in Japan, I think. I really am looking forward to that. I also want to see the new Star Trek movie, even though it seems from the trailer that they don't spend much time on the actual Enterprise for some reason. Nearly the whole trailer was set on Earth, which seems boring.

I actually sort of enjoyed the first G.I. Joe movie. Of course it was dumb, but it seemed to be digestible. This new one looks like it may actually be more familiar-feeling with Cobra Commander with an actual face mask this time.

I only know a tiny bit about Pacific Rim. It involves giant robots and doesn't look stupid, so that makes it interesting.

I have no ideas about the other movies. Even when I lived in America, I didn't pay much attention to movies coming out. Wasn't there an Oz movie that just came out? I saw a review of it on RedLetterMedia.com. There's another one coming out this summer?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

One thing handy for me is that going to the movies is cheap, as little as $5 on Tuesdays. That's for first run films. Also, with the Cineplex Scene points card you can get discounts on food, as well as free admission. I have enough for 3 films. There are also a lot of cereal box promos at this time of year, especially for kid's admissions (free or 2 for 1). Coke also has a points promotion that includes movie passes. My bud in Japan currently says he is paying close to $25 to go to the films, so he is very envious.

Pacific Rim is a $100 million Kaiju movie. They already have a go ahead on Pacific Rim 2.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2vKz7WnU ... vKz7WnU83E

Guillermo del Toro is directing it. I saw an interview with him recently. He said he will be living in Toronto for the next several years as he has 4 projects on going and they are doing principal filming there. He will attend all the media and film conventions so that's a plus.

Besides the next Fast and the Furious film that comes out this summer, I definitely want to take in the next Riddick film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/

There are probably a bunch more films but I can't remember.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I wouldn't really call Oz the Great and Powerful a Summer movie since it came out in March...but I saw it and it was ok. As someone who grew up being OBSESSED with everything Oz as a kid, I enjoyed it but viewed it as something separate from the Oz canon (much like I enjoyed "Wicked", but don't really consider it to be official...I guess I consider them both to be "official fanfic" stories? :lol: ) Visually, it's very eye-candy, so it's fun to watch. The soundtrack's great because it's Danny Elfman. I agree that I think some characters weren't cast very well, but overall it was a fun little popcorn flick. I saw it in 3D and the use of 3D was actually pretty good, it didn't give me a headache like some of them do.

I'm also looking forward to Iron Man, Pacific Rim, Star Trek...Oblivion I thought looked interesting, but I'll prolly wait until it comes out on DVD or Netflix. Riddick I'm kinda iffy about (the last one was good, but who knows if they can make another good one? Sequels are always a gamble.) I thought After Earth looked interesting, but again, I might just wait to rent it unless I hear good things. Same with World War Z and Despicable Me 2.

This is The End looked like it might be funny, but with those kinds of movies, it could go either way. I must admit, though, the trailer with Emma Watson robbing the group of guys made me laugh.

I kind of want to see The Great Gatsby, even though I'm sure it'll be a trainwreck...but since it's Baz Luhrmanm, it'll at least be a pretty trainwreck with a decent soundtrack? :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Movies around me run a minimum of $20 for two (no food or drink), and that's just a matinee. So expect for big-priority stuff and Ghibli films we usually wait for it to come out on DVD. So far its just Iron Man 3 this summer, and I'm not exactly sure about Man of Steel, but that might be a go too. Waiting impatiently for Ender's Game.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

At the risk of sounding like a snobby douchebag, I'm just not big on many summer blockbuster films anymore. Superhero and "geeky" summer extravaganzas lost me years ago. I'll probably take in something that isn't a sequel or isn't a superhero film if I'm going for an FX laden experience. Something like last year's John Carter (which unfortunately bombed according to Disney's standards)would be the type of film I'd get behind.
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

llj wrote:At the risk of sounding like a snobby douchebag, I'm just not big on many summer blockbuster films anymore. Superhero and "geeky" summer extravaganzas lost me years ago. I'll probably take in something that isn't a sequel or isn't a superhero film if I'm going for an FX laden experience. Something like last year's John Carter (which unfortunately bombed according to Disney's standards)would be the type of film I'd get behind.
I loved John Carter. It was really sad that it did so poorly and we won't see the amazing sequel books turned into movies. The person I went with wasn't impressed either.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Path wrote:Waiting impatiently for Ender's Game.
Oh definitely! One of my favorite SF novels. Even people who don't care about SF at all have told me that they read Ender's Game and loved it. As with so many other movies, I'm hoping they won't screw it up.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Ender's Game is one of those things where the public persona of the writer has completely overshadowed any enjoyment of the material for me. I won't be putting a nickel in Orson Scott Card's pocket.

Pacific Rim... the little news-report teaser trailers were fun, but the actual movie trailer fails to sell me on Del Toro's vision for the concept. And this is a concept that me, and millions like me, are automatically in favor of, giant robots versus giant monsters. It's strange how he's taken this great idea and wrung all the appeal out of it. I dunno, it's just one trailer, the movie itself could be great. Perhaps I'm just wishing he'd made At The Mountains Of Madness instead.

The new Star Trek looks fun, I like what I've seen of the new Superman movie (which is a surprise as I have zero faith in the director, maybe they have him on a tight leash this time), might even see the Iron Man. The Lone Ranger movie looks better than expected, and Armie Hammer was great in The Social Network, so that's a maybe. I could go either way on the Wolverine movie. Saw a trailer for the Great Gatsby movie that actually made me want to see it.