Sentai/Power Rangers

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Sentai/Power Rangers

Post by kndy »

Curious if anyone on here watched Japanese sentai shows or the Power Rangers shows in America? Back in my anime BBS days, it was an interesting time because people would log-in and discuss the latest episodes of Power Rangers. A lot of people were into it and I was into it after catching the Japanese Kakurangers shows.

Anyway, with the 20th Anniversary of the Power Rangers shows, just curious of your memories from the shows or being a fan of sentai in general?
kndy

Re: Sentai/Power Rangers

Post by kndy »

Since a lot of us covered it on J!-ENT, we had a chance to befriend a lot of the talent and people behind the series over the years. Here are photos from not too long ago at "Power Morphicon" and "Pop-Con LA":

Last edited by kndy on Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I've been seeing pics of Ernie Reyes Jr. pop up from Power Morphicon...did he do work on the show or was he just a fan? Or did it have to do with the TMNT van being there? (big fan of his, he was in two of my fave 90's movies, TMNT II and Surf Ninjas!)

I was a big Power Rangers fan in in the 90's. I watched it with my two brothers. We even had some of the toys, like the old zords and whatnot. Stopped around the time they had a kid as the blue rangers, which I think was the series when they had cars. Turbo? I watched a few here and there, but I was always more of a fan of the original.

I have all of Kaizoku Ranger, I saw about 4 episodes so far and liked it, even though I don't know the history. I just look it up, but I love seeing them use all the ranger moves from previous shows. I have Akibaranger also, but haven't watched it yet.

I was a fan of Johnny Yong Bosch before he was every single anime voice. :lol:
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
kndy

Post by kndy »

ryoran wrote:I've been seeing pics of Ernie Reyes Jr. pop up from Power Morphicon...did he do work on the show or was he just a fan? Or did it have to do with the TMNT van being there? (big fan of his, he was in two of my fave 90's movies, TMNT II and Surf Ninjas!)

I was a big Power Rangers fan in in the 90's. I watched it with my two brothers. We even had some of the toys, like the old zords and whatnot. Stopped around the time they had a kid as the blue rangers, which I think was the series when they had cars. Turbo? I watched a few here and there, but I was always more of a fan of the original.

I have all of Kaizoku Ranger, I saw about 4 episodes so far and liked it, even though I don't know the history. I just look it up, but I love seeing them use all the ranger moves from previous shows. I have Akibaranger also, but haven't watched it yet.

I was a fan of Johnny Yong Bosch before he was every single anime voice. :lol:
He was invited as a guest this year. A lot of people love TMNT II and thus he showed up. The TMNT van was actually part of "Pop-Con LA" and it was on top of the building with the the Back to the Future car and a few others.

I stopped watching after the original crew, but would catch them late while channel surfing to see if anything has changed. I haven't watched many of the Japanese ranger shows since the '90s though. But I definitely would like to check out the Akibaranger or some of the new shows to see if things have changed budget wise and special effects wise for the newer series.

A few of them are getting together to create a YouTube show titled "No Nerds Here":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQlaabJ5Cs
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I always thought of Power Rangers as "Voltron meets Saved By The Bell." I was about to graduate high school in 1994 when I first learned about that show. I watched an episode or two, but it was a bit too goofy for my tastes. Then again, I never thought much of tokusatsu shows like Ultraman until I recently grew an appreciation for them.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I never watched the PR show. I preferred the originals. I used to watch at least a modest amount on the tapes sent from Japan. Fave team: Denziman. Fave Henshin: the original Ultraman (which I now have the DVD set for) with Kamen Rider Black a close second. Lots of the shows were on in Hawaii, so I had my contact there record several shows since they were subbed. They have all been released on DVD now. This is actually August Ragone's alley since he is the expert. I have several friends though that are heavy into the live shows as well as puppet shows like X-Bomber and the many Gerry Anderson series that were produced. Sad that Mr. Anderson passed away last year from Alzheimer's...

I also used to get Ultra 7 with it's terrible dubbing from TNT back in the day. Thankfully, the released DVD set is subbed instead of dubbed. I must get that one too one day...
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

My little sister was SUUUUUUUPER into Power Rangers when it came out (I think she was 7?), so since I was the one to take care of her a lot after school...guess who had to watch it, too? :lol: At first I didn't really like it, it was so goofy and odd, but after I realized this was definitely a localization of a Japanese show...well, I cut it a little more slack. It was something silly to watch with my sister, at least, and even though I teased her about it a lot over the years, I look back on it fondly.

Nitro was huge into Power Rangers, though! We even have his White Tigerzoid toy in our game room along with a bunch of our other "geeky" toys. And...gosh, was it 3 years ago? We met Rob Axelrod (the voice of Lord Zedd) at A-kon, who was SUCH a sweet old guy. I don't think we got any pictures with him, but we got to talk to him and got his autograph, and he was just super nice.

I was never really into sentai, myself...I saw a few random episodes of Japanese episodes at conventions a few times and thought they were fun. I remember seeing a promo in a Newtype in the 90s for a sentai show where it looked like an all-girl sentai (or at least sentai knock-off?) team had bunny ears on their helmets--I thought that looked super cute, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I was always curious if that had been good or not.

Last year a friend of ours convinced us to watch the "Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle" movie with them after A-kon, and I didn't expect to like it but it was actually pretty fun--THEN they got us to watch Gokaiger and, well...I got hooked. :oops: Gokaiger was just SUPER FUN! Pirate Power Rangers, haha, who knew?!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy

Post by kndy »

ryoran wrote: I have all of Kaizoku Ranger, I saw about 4 episodes so far and liked it, even though I don't know the history. I just look it up, but I love seeing them use all the ranger moves from previous shows. I have Akibaranger also, but haven't watched it yet.
Hey Ryoran,

I just watched the first episode of Unofficial Sentai Akibranger and I absolutely enjoyed the tie-in of Super Sentai, classic sentai, anime and Akihabara wackiness. I'm definitely going to watch all episodes now! Lol...
Last edited by kndy on Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
kndy

Post by kndy »

usamimi wrote:Last year a friend of ours convinced us to watch the "Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle" movie with them after A-kon, and I didn't expect to like it but it was actually pretty fun--THEN they got us to watch Gokaiger and, well...I got hooked. :oops: Gokaiger was just SUPER FUN! Pirate Power Rangers, haha, who knew?!
Cool!!! They were trying to do that in America this year, but something happened this week. Rumors are fluctuating all over the Internet that it pertains to the budget and not being able to afford to bring the various cast members to participate in the film (or special).
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I've been seeing news stories popping up around Twitter about it. It's kinda sad, it would be really fun for kids that grew up on it to have an American equivalent to that...but I hear that the whole thing is just rife with problems. (I know the actor who played the original Blue Ranger isn't involved because of how some people treated him after finding out he was gay, and a few of the actors are supporting him by refusing to get involved. I also heard that some actors are being promised things and then never hearing back on said promises, funding issues, all sorts of things. :? Yikes.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*