What non-Japanese animation are you watching?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What non-Japanese animation are you watching?

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:I highly recommend The Last Unicorn. Not only because Topcraft later helped form Studio Ghibli, but the script by Peter S Beagle is really well done too. It actually feels like a real fairy tale, without any of the modern pop culture references that take you right out of a Disney or Dreamworks adaptation of a fairy tale. The only downside I guess is some of the singing sequences (Mia Farrow isn't a great singer), but the songs themselves are actually quite good and full of emotion and melancholy.
I totally recommend The Last Unicorn, too! It's been a favorite of mine since I was a wee little one, and the fact that the film FINALLY got reverted back to complete ownership of Peter Beadle is great (he'd been fighting over ownership of the movie almost since it came out!). The new blu-ray they released a few years ago is just STUNNING, and there's a great commentary track by Peter Beagle and his manager--they even talk about how the film was animated in Japan, how similar some parts look to Nausicaa, etc, which is neat. (PS if you buy the blu-ray from Peter Beagle's website, he'll autograph it for you! http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2/me ... =SFNT#DVDs They also sell art prints of the original character designs by Tsuguyuki Kubo, which I've always wanted to get because they look beautiful ;A; http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2/me ... n=SFNT#Art)

I agree that Mia Farrow wasn't the best singer, but the emotion makes up for it, like you said. It's also so endearing to hear a very young Jeff Bridges trying to sing a love song. He sounds awkward and inexperienced, it's adorable. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Picked up the complete 2011 Thundercats series on Blu-ray; I'm only about 5 episodes in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit thus far. Will Friedle was an excellent choice for Lion-O.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Picked up the complete 2011 Thundercats series on Blu-ray; I'm only about 5 episodes in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit thus far. Will Friedle was an excellent choice for Lion-O.
I really liked that reboot. I was sad it got canceled. :/
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

The rebooted Thundercats wasn't popular. The dumbed down kiddified version as Chima was extremely popular and the Lego toys are icing on the cake, so it stayed on. Unfortunately...
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

It's definitely too bad that it was canceled, it seems like the show just keeps getting better. I was hoping that when it moved to Toonami it might get some new episodes, but it looks like that wasn't meant to be.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:It's definitely too bad that it was canceled, it seems like the show just keeps getting better. I was hoping that when it moved to Toonami it might get some new episodes, but it looks like that wasn't meant to be.
Yeah, if it had been a Toonami show from the get-go, maybe it would've been more popular? I bet they were trying to bank on nostalgia for it (like the new revivals of MLP, Transformers, etc) but they just handled it so, so poorly. :/
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

The problem was it hit a snag after killing a main character then bring him back to life. The show went from a scifi show to a mystical/fantasy show so it didn't seem to have any direction after awhile. Too bad too as I liked the show generally...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Today I finally finished watching the Star Trek Animated Series on LD. I started watching it years ago, but lost track of it after moving to Japan. It's great that everyone but Walter Koenig reprises their roles in the show as voice actors. It really is a cool show, and it's canon as far as I care. The holodeck makes its first appearance in this show, and elements of Spock's childhood were incorporated into the 2009 Trek movie.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Today I finally finished watching the Star Trek Animated Series on LD. I started watching it years ago, but lost track of it after moving to Japan. It's great that everyone but Walter Koenig reprises their roles in the show as voice actors. It really is a cool show, and it's canon as far as I care. The holodeck makes its first appearance in this show, and elements of Spock's childhood were incorporated into the 2009 Trek movie.
I've never actually watched the animated series, does it feel like a continuation of the TV show or is it more like a side story?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here much lately, enjoying summer, etc. The Star Trek animated series is like a continuation of the Enterprise's 5 year mission that was cancelled after its third season. Everyone but Chechov reprises their roles in the animated series, which is great. It certainly does feel a bit more cartoony in ways, but I think it is very Trek-ish, and there are some pretty solid SF plots. I was surprised to see that one episode was written by Larry Niven, the author of Ringworld. The episode even features the Kzin from Niven's universe, as well as the slaver technology.

My friend gave he his LD box set once the show was finally released on DVD.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page