Anyone here read American or European comics?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Anyone here read American or European comics?

Post by _D_ »

The Gold Key collections of a few years back are being reprinted. Grab them while you can. I just saw Turok Son of Stone volume 1 on the rack today. Very tempted to start buying these...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

I also used to read a lot of European comics like Asterix. Never got into ones like Blueberry, Lucky Luke, etc. lots of good stuff reprinted in mags like Heavy Metal over the years. Was attempting to translate erotic/horror Italian Fumetti recently since most of it will never see English printings. Now up and comes along Chinese comics. Always something new for me to discover...
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

_D_ wrote:I also used to read a lot of European comics like Asterix. Never got into ones like Blueberry, Lucky Luke, etc. lots of good stuff reprinted in mags like Heavy Metal over the years. Was attempting to translate erotic/horror Italian Fumetti recently since most of it will never see English printings. Now up and comes along Chinese comics. Always something new for me to discover...
I've long lamented about what a terrible shame it is that none of those Italian comics will ever see English printings. However, if you're a fan, there's an amazing hardcover book that collects some of the artwork of Emanuele Taglietti, who worked on numerous Italian comics and pulp covers. If I'm not mistaken, I believe another volume that collects the work of the equally great Alessandro Biffignandi will be coming out this summer.

Here's a link for the Taglietti one: http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Horror-Art-Em ... and+horror

I picked it up a few months ago and it was worth every penny.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Char Aznable wrote:
_D_ wrote:I also used to read a lot of European comics like Asterix. Never got into ones like Blueberry, Lucky Luke, etc. lots of good stuff reprinted in mags like Heavy Metal over the years. Was attempting to translate erotic/horror Italian Fumetti recently since most of it will never see English printings. Now up and comes along Chinese comics. Always something new for me to discover...
I've long lamented about what a terrible shame it is that none of those Italian comics will ever see English printings. However, if you're a fan, there's an amazing hardcover book that collects some of the artwork of Emanuele Taglietti, who worked on numerous Italian comics and pulp covers. If I'm not mistaken, I believe another volume that collects the work of the equally great Alessandro Biffignandi will be coming out this summer.

Here's a link for the Taglietti one: http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Horror-Art-Em ... and+horror

I picked it up a few months ago and it was worth every penny.
My bud has the book at his comics store. The artwork is far superior to what I have on the few Fumetti I own. Also quite graphic. Very well drawn and painted though. I think the book might already be out of print (unfortunately) but individual copies might be available from sellers on EBay or Amazon.
scriptweaver
Anime Fan Since: 2000

Post by scriptweaver »

I don't know if any of you followed DC comic books, but personally I'll read anything drawn by George Perez or written by Marv Wolfman.

I'm currently reading the Deathstroke series that spawned in the early 90's. I was reading Teen Titan issues of the same era, but my local comic shop has had a drastic drop in Teen Titan issues lately, so now I can't continue from where I left off (Also, the art has drastically changed and its not pleasing to look at anymore).

I also recently started a series called The Vigilante. It's not the most crazy thing out there (I might even say it starts out kinda bland), but it seems it was unique for its time (1984).

I typically stay away from comic books made after 95' because I'm not very big on the gradual change in general style that alot of comics began to take on from that point on. Now even though I say this, I'll still have my exceptions like DC's "Kingdom Come". That comic is quite interesting in my opinion and I adore the artwork, its gorgeous to look at (You could say I'm a pretty big fan of Alex Ross' work).
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I'm generally not a huge fan of the whole Joe Quesada era of Marvel (circa 2000-2011 ish), but I will give it to him that his era may have started the whole reprint craze. A lot of those old comics SHOULD be in circulation every 10-15 years or so, and Quesada to his credit helped usher that trend in. Then again, no matter who was at the helm, I had lost interest in superhero comics by then other than the odd older series, artist or run I want to look in on from time to time. I think the last superhero comic series I sort of followed was the Catwoman series when Darwyn Cooke and Cameron Stewart was doing it. I haven't touched Spider-Man, Batman or the Hulk in forever.

Currently I am reading EC Comics reprints and the Guido Crepax monster than Fantagraphics just put out.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Llj I fell the same about Marvel comics. As I grew older and matured, the Marvel Herod and stories did not appeal to me. I switched to Archie comics for a while, but I gave it up during high school. The characters did represent life as I saw it. I did not see life at Archie's school, Riverdale, as ideal either. I stopped buying comics until I started reading independent comics years later.

Artists like the Hernadez brothers, Dan Clowes, Peter Bagge, Joe Sacco, Adrian Tommie and many others dealt with more mature subject matter. I just bought Dan Clowes new graphic novel "Patience" and I am really liking it. The storyline is relavent to the issues the Millineals and my Gen X crowd are now facing. Peter Bagge did the same thing with his comic "Hate". There are some American independent artists that really understand social issues. Adrian Tommie is another notable comic artist. I picked up his new graphic novel "Killing and Dying" this January. American comics are catching up. It is just not as many comic creators making comic for adults as there are for general audiences.

By the way, I have an interest in the new Harleyquin trades. The only Marvel title I follow now.
***^__^***
llj

Post by llj »

The comics I've been reading recently:

_D_

Post by _D_ »

That's fun! I have a copy of Mr. A by Ditko sitting right here. Was going to try to sell it on Ebay at one point but there are too many things like that up there already. Pulled out a bunch of Ditko Charlton comics the other day. Things like Konga and Gorgo. Always nice artwork. Also, Pat Boyette's "Children of Doom". Great stuff. Also read through my collected volume of Fearless Fosdick by Al Capp. Great stuff again! Now on to my collection of Andy Capp starting with "Meet Andy Capp" from 1965. Also looked again through my collection of paperbacks and read THUNDER Agent Noman, Superman (June 1966), Batman vs. The Penguin (also 1966). Found an old coverless Superman comic a couple weeks back and it turned out to be the first appearance of Supergirl! Even in less than poor condition I should be able to get $100 - $150 for it. Also going through my horror books and comics. Might try to sell some of that but I'm keeping Startling Mystery Stories Fall No. 6 as it was Stephen King's first published story that he got paid for. Those usually go for upwards of $250 on Ebay. Lots of other stuff to enjoy again...

Got entire runs of EC comics collections here. They were a bud of mine's collection but he moved and everything got left here. He always means to take them when he comes up but never does. Entire runs of Vault of Horror, Shock Suspense Stories, Frontline Combat, etc. Also pulled out his collection of punk 45 rpm records. Most are 1980s reissues so they aren't worth much. Might try to dump them on Ebay in lots of 10 or 12 and see if I can get rid of them. No one wants them here in town. There are some gems that are worth more but I'm keeping those for the time being.

Lots more stuff to search through...
llj

Post by llj »

Anyone remember Cherry Poptart? I must confess, I haven't seen an issue in any back issue bin for over a decade, and it's one of those old comic series I've been searching around for awhile. Those issues can't be THAT expensive now...can they? I'd love for a new reprint of the series to come out--it's not like there isn't still an audience out there.