Worried about the upcoming Star Wars movies

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Re: Worried about the upcoming Star Wars movies

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Maybe they should just let go of Star Wars, and do something completely new. But that's naïve talking these days, I guess.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

People say that the Clone Wars series was pretty good. The prequels had some rather glaring plot holes. Nobody ever seemed to question where this sudden clone army came from, nor did they have qualms about using them and didn't think it was too convenient of a coincident that they now have this army that was created by some forgery. Say, whatever happened with that forgery, anyway? Didn't anybody bother to investigate what that "Sifo Dias" character was up to? Nope! Not even in the novelization did that get any attention.

So here is the Clone Wars series, and the writers for that apparently paid more attention to Star Wars than Lucas did, and they attempted to resolve all these issues. I've had some guys on another forum telling me that the Clone Wars somehow vindicates the prequels and makes the whole prequel storyline better, but sorry, I'm not swallowing that. It's like drywall that's full of holes and falling apart. Sure, you can fill the holes up with spackle and do a nice job, and you can even admire the spackle. But it's still just a crummy old wall. That's how I fell about the Clone Wars show. I'm sure it has its redeeming qualities, but I still don't want to have anything to do with anything prequel-related.

On top of that, the evil mouse-eared Kingdom of Darkness put an end to that show because it was on Cartoon Network. Disney would rather kill something good than to allow it to be shown on a non-Disney channel.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Now that you mention Clone Wars, I remember a discussion I had on IGN, where some agreed that the prequel trilogy should've focused solely on the Clone Wars themselves, not waste time with the convoluted (and yet at the same time, not so convoluted after all) plots and schemes of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

Honestly, half of those movies feel like filler.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I tried to get into Clone Wars because people kept saying good things about it, but it seemed pretty boring to me most of the time...I don't think I ever even finished the first season. ^^; I think it's because I was really starting to get burnt out on Star Wars stuff at the time. (I still kind of am, unless we're talkin' original trilogy.)

I really do think that Disney's just trying to get as much money back on their investment as possible at this point, which means making just enough new shows or movies to sell merch. Apparently they're planning a Star Wars theme park, too? http://laist.com/2014/08/05/disney_is_g ... ar_war.php
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Ugh. I don't want a Star Wars theme park. I just want them to release the original trilogy cleaned up in their pre-"Special Edition", umolested, "Han shoots first" versions!
ServantOfPriss wrote:Now that you mention Clone Wars, I remember a discussion I had on IGN, where some agreed that the prequel trilogy should've focused solely on the Clone Wars themselves, not waste time with the convoluted (and yet at the same time, not so convoluted after all) plots and schemes of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.
The first movie should have begun with the war already underway, just as with the original trilogy. Ben Kenobi should be the one who discovers Anakin, already at least a young adult, who is already an experienced fighter pilot. Not Qui Gon, but Ben Kenobi. Ben then decides to teach him the force. This is all from what we knew how it should have happened as per Kenobi's own words in the original trilogy. Apparently Lucas forgot about all this when he wrote the prequels. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID! Kenobi should have been the main character for the entire prequel trilogy. Not Anakin. No space Jesus crap. No prophecies. Just a noble Jedi who falls from grace. The Anakin we saw was just a bad seed from the onset. There is no tragedy in seeing a rotten person turn evil. A well-written tragedy would have a good person turn evil.

Plus the faction waging war on the Republic would be the ones using clones, since they would need to clone soldiers in order to take on such a huge, galactic government. Perhaps the Republic's defenses would be crumbling under the relentless attacks of these swarms of clone soldiers. Kill one clone and two more takes his place. Now that would be far more engaging. As it is, having the clone troopers as faceless minions that nobody cares about fighting against boring robots that nobody cares about is just BORING. In the original movies, the Rebels were risking their lives for their political ideologies, and that they were people who may very well be unable to ever return home again. Whenever a Rebel solider is killed, you know that these guys probably had a family back home, or maybe they had already lost their families due to oppression. In the prequels, you never have such tension.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

BIG NEWS!
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/ex ... o-be-rele/
Rumor has it that Disney has the marketing sense to be nice to us Star Wars fans and FINALLY, FINALLY release the original trilogy unmolested on BR! This alone is enough to prompt me to finally get a BR player.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:BIG NEWS!
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/ex ... o-be-rele/
Rumor has it that Disney has the marketing sense to be nice to us Star Wars fans and FINALLY, FINALLY release the original trilogy unmolested on BR! This alone is enough to prompt me to finally get a BR player.
Wow! I already have the blu-rays they released before, but I got them dirt cheap at some black friday or another...if this is true, I definitely wouldn't mind buying them again for the original version!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

I have a few online friends who are also not excited about the upcoming Star Wars movie. I've seen the trailers, and nothing is really grabbing me. I am sure I will likely get dragged off to the theater to see this one when it is released, but so far I've seen nothing that makes me say, "Holy crap, this is gonna be so awesome!" I realize that this isn't more of the same crap like the Prequels are, and I know that they're using real props, real sets, real ship models to interact with, and real alien animatronics and such. Maybe they are only releasing slight teaser trailers so far, but nothing is stirring any excitement within me other than, "It appears to be another Star Wars movie."

Other than Super 8 and maybe Cloverfield, there's nothing that JJ Abrams has made that I really, really liked, except for his first Star Trek movie. There was a lot I did not like about it though, as it was full of plot holes and inconsistencies (like why would having Kirk's father killed by Romulans suddenly make the Enterprise 10 times bigger than it should be, etc). And with his second Star Trek movie, oh gosh that was just crap. having Spock shout "KHAAAAAAN!" pushed the movie into the realm of just being a parody, as if Leslie Nielsen should have been in it. At that point, I had to pause the movie and leave the room for a bit. Oh man, that was ridiculous.

And this is the same guy who now holds Star Wars in his hands. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

I have no excitement whatsoever for the upcoming Star Wars film. I'll probably go see it in the theater at some point when it's out, but even that's up in the air. The last movie I went to the theater for was Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, and I would've been better off just waiting for Netflix (or watching the first one again, since the sequel was only more of the same, but not as good).

I didn't hate the Star Wars prequels. While they come nowhere close to the originals, I can still enjoy them as pretty fun sci-fi/action films. I think it helps that the prequels are still more enjoyable than so much of the overhyped crud that's been coming to theaters for the last several years. Sure, the prequels are weak Star Wars films, but entertaining space opera stories even if learning the origins of Darth Vader completely ruins the impact and menace of the character in later films.

With that said, I don't think they couldn't have handed Star Wars off to a worst director than JJ Abrams. I don't like his directing style at all--with his overuse of lens flare being the least of the problems. Despised Star Trek Into Darkness. It felt like it was made by someone who never watched an episode of Star Trek in their life. I enjoyed his first Star Trek film when it first came out, but having re-watched it recently, it was a struggle to get through. The presence of Leonard Nimoy was really what kept me watching.

And now, Gareth Edwards is directing Star Wars: Rogue One. Yikes. If it's anything like the last abomination he made (Godzilla), I won't even bother to watch it on streaming. I feel like I've ranted enough, but if I start on all the things I hated about Edwards' Godzilla, I'd be here all week.

Personally, Edgar Wright or Peter Jackson would have been high on the list of my directorial choices to take over Star Wars.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Char Aznable wrote:
Personally, Edgar Wright or Peter Jackson would have been high on the list of my directorial choices to take over Star Wars.
Dude, if Peter Jackson did Star Wars movies, it would be Star Wars Episode 7... Part I, Part II, and Part III. It will be filled with nothing but sitting around with ewoks (because there like little dwarfs right?) having rhetorical conversations about the force... and walking a lot from universe to universe.

JJ Abrams at least made Star Trek appealing to me, because he made it look like Star Wars. Maybe that's why I didn't mind it so much. I'm not super hype for Star Wars, but I will go see it just because. My thing is I wonder if people are going to camp out for the new movie, and if a repeat of Episode I is going to happen, where everyone was super hype for it, and they never camped for the other two after that.

Then again, Lucas was running that ship, so maybe Abrams can't be any worse than those films.