Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes drama

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes drama

Post by usamimi »

Ok, so I finally got around to starting this new drama, since I kept seeing screenshots of it referencing a ton of older anime and manga, and HOLY CRAP, this drama is a lot of fun so far! I think there's only 2 eps subbed so far (3rd ep just came out in Japan), but I'm pretty damn sure nearly EVERYONE on this forum would probably love it.

http://over-ti.me/releases/blue-blazes-01/ The group fansubbing it

Seriously, there's so many references to old stuff in it (since it takes place in 1980 and centers around an otaku who's going to art school), I can't even begin to list them all. :mrgreen: I'm curious to hear what other people on the forum think of it!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes drama

Post by greg »

Cool! I'll have to figure out when it comes on and on what channel and start watching it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

It's really enjoyable; over-dramatically acted, steeped in 1980s otaku signifiers, references out the wazoo, bare-facedly obsessive. I really like Kazuhiko Shimamoto's manga, so seeing a show thinly based on his college life is a hoot.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:It's really enjoyable; over-dramatically acted, steeped in 1980s otaku signifiers, references out the wazoo, bare-facedly obsessive. I really like Kazuhiko Shimamoto's manga, so seeing a show thinly based on his college life is a hoot.
YES, it's just FUN and goofy, I really love it so far! All of the tongue-in-cheek jokes and references are great. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it. :mrgreen:
greg

Post by greg »

Well, nuts. I don't really pay much attention to TV, so I had no idea if this is actually showing in my area. I always just assumed that TV Tokyo => TV Shizuoka, but that is not the case. According to the Wiki page, it's not showing here in Shizuoka. NUTS.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Well, nuts. I don't really pay much attention to TV, so I had no idea if this is actually showing in my area. I always just assumed that TV Tokyo => TV Shizuoka, but that is not the case. According to the Wiki page, it's not showing here in Shizuoka. NUTS.
Aww, shame. :( The page I linked has fansubs--if you check the comments, they have direct downloads, too.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I'm enjoying the heck out of this drama. It's really fun to watch. I love all the old references, and even if it's not exactly true, I have a hard time believing Anno wasn't like that after reading Insufficient Direction (Moyoco Anno, his wife, did a manga about their life together).
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:I'm enjoying the heck out of this drama. It's really fun to watch. I love all the old references, and even if it's not exactly true, I have a hard time believing Anno wasn't like that after reading Insufficient Direction (Moyoco Anno, his wife, did a manga about their life together).
Isn't it great?! I've been group-watching it with some friends over Skype (even though I've been watching it as it comes out...It's so good I don't mind watching multiple times! XD). Even when some of them don't get the references, everyone's been enjoying it, which makes me really happy.

Insufficient Direction's also a little exaggerated, too, but yeah...I'm pretty sure that Anno is nearly as big an odd-ball as people make him out to be. :lol:
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

The OT team has had some great releases for fans who, like the GAINAX guys, love live action as well as animation.
I wonder how many personal collections had to be raided for the early 80's set dressing ;)
/saw H Anno at AX96 - can't remember what he was like
greg

Post by greg »

So it's a bit after the fact, but finally tonight we now have TV Tokyo. Vic Tokai cable TV now offers it in my area.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page