New robot movie "Chappie" inspired by Masamune Shirow

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New robot movie "Chappie" inspired by Masamune Shirow

Post by usamimi »

I saw this article on ANN this morning and thought it was kinda neat: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... eos/.84373

Apparently the creator designed the robot of his story specifically to look like Appleseed's Briareos! I probably won't go see this in theaters, but I definitely want to check it out once it hits VOD or Netflix.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: New robot movie "Chappie" inspired by Masamune Shirow

Post by Animusubi »

I totally guessed it was based on Briareos when the trailer first appeared. This guy seems like he's inspired by mecha and anime in general, throughout a lot of his films and work.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:I totally guessed it was based on Briareos when the trailer first appeared. This guy seems like he's inspired by mecha and anime in general, throughout a lot of his films and work.
Yeah! I thought it did too so I was pretty excited to see that, lol. I've only seen one of his other movies (District 9), but it doesn't surprise me at all that he was a fan of anime/manga. (The article makes is sound like he was when he was younger, not so much anymore, though? Either way, still cool!)
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I'm still waiting for the second part of Dustrict 9. It was promised years ago and never delivered...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:I'm still waiting for the second part of Dustrict 9. It was promised years ago and never delivered...
I always wondered what happened to that, too...did the studio he was working with just decide to can it, thinking it wouldn't make enough money? :/a