A cynical take on all the cashing-in going on

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

A cynical take on all the cashing-in going on

Post by greg »

RedLetter Media did a spoof of all these supposed "geek-centric" news Web-casts. Here's the link. I admit that I'm only interested in Marvel movies, particularly the Marvel Studios (and X-Men stuff by Fox, but none of the rest). That seems to be all I care about these days. I'm certainly not very excited about milking the Star Wars cash cow for all it's worth. This video really makes fun of that sort of thing. The line that really made me laugh was, "Ever since Disney bought the rights to Star Wars, they've been making bigger plans than Hitler!" I'm getting tired of the "Well, you're a nerd, so you are obligated to like this stuff!" attitude going on in Hollywood, and I am sick of Hollywood making movies for China instead of for Americans (and the rest of the English-speaking world). They touch on all of this in this video. It's worth a watch.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: A cynical take on all the cashing-in going on

Post by labsenpai »

I try not to ponder the thousands of better projects the budgets from Hollywood turkeys could have supported. We all know that the cologne-wearing guys with production clout just want the nerd gold. They just have to sell a loud convention trailer and tweet about their new love for shit like the Fantastic Four to get it...
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: A cynical take on all the cashing-in going on

Post by _D_ »

labsenpai wrote:I try not to ponder the thousands of better projects the budgets from Hollywood turkeys could have supported. We all know that the cologne-wearing guys with production clout just want the nerd gold. They just have to sell a loud convention trailer and tweet about their new love for shit like the Fantastic Four to get it...
True enough or some projects but the Japanese director and producer for Attack on Titan said that the creator of the work gave them the okay to do their movie so long as the Titans eating people was in it and to ignore the source material! Now, that's a switch. First time I've heard an author say it was okay to ignore everything he has written or drawn and just do your own thing...