Favorite horror-themed TV shows

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: Favorite horror-themed TV shows

Post by Animusubi »

Supernatural... :?

I know it gets a lot of criticism and hate because of the super fandom (especially on tumblr) but I've genuinely loved this show, because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Shows that take themselves too seriously I tend to drop (like Walking Dead) but I love the shows dramedy and monster lore.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote:I was one of the few people out there that never watched Buffy, lol. :lol:
Don't feel to alone on the forums, I never saw an episode of that show either.

I have seen a handful of episodes of the original Twilight Zone, and I do have my favorites (The Talking Tina and William Shatner episodes come to mind, same with the Charles Bronson one where there is literally 10 lines of dialogue the entire episode). The Outer Limits I have never seen but would like too, and I only have seen my episode of X Files that were written by William Gibson.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:Supernatural... :?

I know it gets a lot of criticism and hate because of the super fandom (especially on tumblr) but I've genuinely loved this show, because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Shows that take themselves too seriously I tend to drop (like Walking Dead) but I love the shows dramedy and monster lore.
Do people consider that a horror TV show? I've only ever seen like, 1 or 2 eps and it didn't strike me as a horror series, but maybe it depends on the eps you watch? I assumed it was a supernatural/sci-fi/comedy type thing. (But I guess people put that in the same category as Buffy? idk)

I WISH The Outer Limits was streaming somewhere...that would be so great. At least Twilight Zone is on Netflix.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

The X-Files counts somewhat, since many of the episodes are horror themed. Plenty of monsters murdering people. Fluke Man, Chupacabra, yeti, zombies, vampires, ghosts, and the like are featured on that show. Before that, Twin Peaks had me glued to the TV each week with its supernatural murder crime story.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Not really a TV show in the strictest sense of the word, but I was thinking recently that I would have loved Elvira's Movie Macabre if it aired today. I *was* alive when it aired in 81, but way too young to have stayed up to catch it or understand the movies on it. In the deepest recesses of my memory, I'm *quite* sure I caught a few episodes of it on some channel in the mid 80s. I'd heard there was a short lived revival in 2011, but I did not see it or even received the show where I am.

The concept of a late night TV show airing really obscure B-movies old and new hosted by a narrator in a sexy costume would appeal to my current sensibilities. Movies that places like Netflix or regular movie rental/library places may not carry. Unfortunately that kind of show would be more likely on some kind of cable package or pay channel I cannot afford today.

By the way, M Night Shyamalan seems to be reviving Tales of the Crypt for TNT later this year.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

So has anyone else watched "Stranger Things" on Netflix? I just finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It was a very fun sci-fi/horror show and I hope they do a second season!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:So has anyone else watched "Stranger Things" on Netflix? I just finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It was a very fun sci-fi/horror show and I hope they do a second season!
Stranger Things was fantastic! It had me hooked from beginning to end. The story, the characters, the atmosphere...everything was close to perfect. I'd be surprised if they don't do a second season considering how successful it's been!