NEED HELP WITH 90s ANIME TEES

Our own online marketplace!
Oldmanjenkins90
Anime Fan Since: 2000

NEED HELP WITH 90s ANIME TEES

Post by Oldmanjenkins90 »

Hello everyone! Thank you for letting me join this group. I’m a collector of vintage anime shirts and I am looking to expand my collection and pick up the last few shirts I need. Here are some of the shirts I’m looking for.

If you happen to have them or others not pictured. Feel free to comment down below or leave a message 🙂

Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: NEED HELP WITH 90s ANIME TEES

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Wish you the best of luck on the search. I used to have that MD Geist shirt at least 25 years ago but it's long gone now.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

so are vintage t-shirts the latest "investment collectible" that people are determined to get in on the ground floor of? I've been hearing from a lot of my friends that they've been getting all kinds of ludicrous offers for old anime shirts they happen to be seen wearing in social media posts, which is, let's be frank, a little stalky. But I get it, to find these things you have to go where they are, and where they are is about fifty years old now.

I know there's a larger market for vintage (not reproductions of old designs, but the actual old shirts themselves) shirts out there in the world, I've seen three-figure price tags on stained giveaway shirts from Canada's Wonderland theme park for sale here in the hipster vintage stores. I wouldn't pay that much for a shirt, but I wouldn't pay that much for a lunchbox or a trading card or any other artificially inflated speculator market item either. And no, my old t-shirts are not for sale.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

A sign of success for all the old-schoolers, maybe, as now old anime t-shirts are viewed sort of like old band t-shirts, "I liked them before they were cool" or "I was raised liking good anime, my dad taught Kenichi Sonada how to play beer pong at AnimeCon '91-" type stories. :lol:

I think maybe it is a bit more baffling for those who are old enough to remember anime t-shirts being sort of like Itasha cars, where it wasn't just "before it was cool", but rather that it was actively uncool. This was still true during my time as an anime middle-schooler, anyways. The big ol' guy wearing the shirt with the little anime girl on it was their way of saying, "I'm such a fan I don't care what it looks like!"
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:23 am so are vintage t-shirts the latest "investment collectible" that people are determined to get in on the ground floor of? I've been hearing from a lot of my friends that they've been getting all kinds of ludicrous offers for old anime shirts they happen to be seen wearing in social media posts, which is, let's be frank, a little stalky. But I get it, to find these things you have to go where they are, and where they are is about fifty years old now.

I know there's a larger market for vintage (not reproductions of old designs, but the actual old shirts themselves) shirts out there in the world, I've seen three-figure price tags on stained giveaway shirts from Canada's Wonderland theme park for sale here in the hipster vintage stores. I wouldn't pay that much for a shirt, but I wouldn't pay that much for a lunchbox or a trading card or any other artificially inflated speculator market item either. And no, my old t-shirts are not for sale.
Yea that's been going on for a while, especially on ebay. Just about anything with Evangelion people want over a grand for, and 80's OVA shirts like Bubblegum Crisis are near 3 digits. Makes me wonder if I can get anything for my old Suncoast Otaku shirt ive had for the past 15 or so years. News Flash! About 50 bucks. I think its really scalpers being scalpers in seeing what they can get for anything out there.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Yeah, I've seen a few folks hunting for vintage T-shirts. I have only been contacted by people who see that I am selling stuff, not like just asking for the shirt off my back, in a photo. But then again, I may not have many photos of me in anime t-shirts. Usually the answer is that those shirts are long gone - I did wear the hell out of those shirts when I had them and they mostly have bitten the dust.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

the old shirts I have? I literally wore them until they fell apart. There's a "Captain Herlock" (!) shirt that survived the ocean, car wrecks, more conventions than I can count, and it has weird stainy patches from sitting in the bottom of a cardboard box for years, but I'd never part with it, a lot of memories in that piece of cloth. I'm gonna say a lot of my anime t-shirts suffered the fate of many a interesting t-shirt, in that your girlfriend borrows it, and you never see it again.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:42 pm the old shirts I have? I literally wore them until they fell apart. There's a "Captain Herlock" (!) shirt that survived the ocean, car wrecks, more conventions than I can count, and it has weird stainy patches from sitting in the bottom of a cardboard box for years, but I'd never part with it, a lot of memories in that piece of cloth. I'm gonna say a lot of my anime t-shirts suffered the fate of many a interesting t-shirt, in that your girlfriend borrows it, and you never see it again.
Oh man, that happened to one of my Gundam jackets that before I broke it off with my ex, and one day I saw her cat using it as a bed. I should've gotten it then, but I didn't. And once the break up happened I didn't have it in me to see her and figured losing that and a couple of things is far better than getting married to her down the line and her taking half my crap in a divorce, or listening to two hours of constant bitching. I didn't have it in me to go through that. That's a loss thats much easier to live with.