Hayama & Yokota at Youmacon

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Hayama & Yokota at Youmacon

Post by labsenpai »

With less than a month before the event, Japanese GoHs are announced for the motor city:
Mamoru Yokota
Junichi Hayama

I've never been to the hosting site, COBO Convention Center in downtown Detroit, but it is only a 3 hour drive. Theoretically, I could make a one day round trip and save myself a hotel bill. I'd just have to luck out on GoH panel times, and get an autograph-item for Hayama. I can't believe my stash has no FotNS or JoJo stuff :o
Akage

Re: Hayama & Yokota at Youmacon

Post by Akage »

If I were you, I'd go for the sketches. I would not be surprised if both Hayama and Yokota will be taking commissions there. It usually works out that even if the other artists aren't super interested in sketching, Yokota will convince them otherwise. In the past, Yokota usually charges $200 for sketches, so I would bring a good $500 if you'd like to get something from both.

Yokota sketches are worth it provided he doesn't rush it. He does have a habit of getting drunk and partying all convention long, and then, the day before he has to head back, realizes he has sketches to finish and will rush them. I've received some good stuff from him, but I've also seen some very rushed stuff he's done too, like my friend Preston's 1980's shoulder pad Sheryl Nome sketch. The sketches will likely not be finished the day you request them. I've had to have friends pick them up on the final day of the convention or a couple days afterwards, and then have had them sent to me.

Still would like to get a Hayama sketch. Hopefully he'll come to a convention that I attend in the near future.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

An online perusal for Jojo cels reveals some affordable ones if you can live with a "supporting crusader" image instead of Star Platinum. Maybe if Hayama is in a great mood this con he'll want to doodle something? Still gotta have cel as a reserve. :ugeek:
Among my NT magazine posters I still have a 15 year old Rune Soldier print illustrated by Yokota...back-up problem solved!

/will report on results if this venture goes well
Attachments
RuneSoldier.jpg
RuneSoldier.jpg (208.4 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

The event schedule was just posted, and I think I hear a death knell ringing. No dedicated autograph time is given, and other "talk" panels with Hayama and Yokota are after 10 PM. I need to be on the last highway home by then...
Akage

Post by Akage »

Yup, sounds to me that that means that they will both have a booth where they'll charge you for sketches. A lot of smaller conventions like to go this route, so it doesn't surprise me that the emphasis is attendees to visit their booth to purchase sketches rather than giving them away for free. They might be willing to autograph for free. I'd ask their handler if that's really all you want.

If the late night Yokota panel is 18+, it'll be worth it to attend. Yokota's 18+ panels are very entertaining.
Akage

Post by Akage »

Heard from friend it'll be commissions only for both. $150 for monochrome, $200 for color.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

Based on your other posts about sketch fees and auctions, those numbers sound reasonable. Unfortunately, needing to stay at the event for more than one day (either for late night panels or commission waiting) is what I can't swing this time. I can only conclude that the boggling schedule had to please too many interests.
Akage

Post by Akage »

Sounds like thencon might be a disaster as far as Japanese guests go anyways. Their sole Japanese translator just quit. I won’t mention the reason it happened in the public forum portion.
Akage

Post by Akage »

Friend sent me this pic of Hayama. Notice the influence that Yokota, the perpetual con drunk, had had on him.
Attachments
0A5F76C3-BD98-47A7-8FD6-9154CD2CFAE7.jpeg
0A5F76C3-BD98-47A7-8FD6-9154CD2CFAE7.jpeg (637.1 KiB) Viewed 2961 times