Atlanta Scifi Expo, anyone going?

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Atlanta Scifi Expo, anyone going?

Post by DKop »

I'll be a volunteer this year at the Atlanta SciFi Expo in helping out with the Gundam related stuff at the con (since im a member of the Southeast Gundam Club). I also got a panel at 4pm on Sunday titled "Gundam in America: A Brief History" which im showcasing a brief rundown on how Gundam was marketed in America, of course once I get past the 2000's its going into what aired on Toonami and the Gunpla kits we got out of that. So if anyone locally in Atlanta will be free March 3-4th come by, its a free event at Dekalb mall.

http://www.atlantascifiexpo.com/
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Atlanta Scifi Expo, anyone going?

Post by davemerrill »

glad this event is still happening! North Dekalb Mall is where we saw Star Wars last December while down there on vacation- it's a big, almost dead mall that is kept alive by the movie theater. We saw so many movies there in the '90s. Having a free family friendly convention there is a great use of the space.
DKop

Post by DKop »

From what I saw online of the mall, it looks pretty vacant and "ghetto" in some parts. I think the main part of the con is held in an abandoned TJMaxx id have to assume. I mean it's great space for a con, and other small cons I know in the new england states are having theirs at abandoned JCPenney's and what not. I'll find out what it's like when I get there, and of course do a con report about it after that.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

we spent some time wandering around the mall before the movie, just marveling at the empty spaces. While we were there the "Sights & Sounds Black Cultural Museum" was hosting a lecture on the film "Get Out" - again, not something I'd expect to see in a suburban mall.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Haven't heard about this - but if you're in town, I'll see if I can swing by for your panel and we can meet up afterwards!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote:we spent some time wandering around the mall before the movie, just marveling at the empty spaces. While we were there the "Sights & Sounds Black Cultural Museum" was hosting a lecture on the film "Get Out" - again, not something I'd expect to see in a suburban mall.
That's amazing. I know most of the photos I saw it seemed to focus on that African store online.
Drew_Sutton wrote:Haven't heard about this - but if you're in town, I'll see if I can swing by for your panel and we can meet up afterwards!
Yea. I'll PM you my number so you can text me on when to meet up, see if you wanna do dinner with me, my bro and our buddy in town one night. Could do it after the panel, but it's whatev's.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Sounds good, DKop! I'll shoot you my number too. Looking forward to seeing you at the show!
DKop

Post by DKop »

Well, don't I feel so honored, I got my own thing on this website

http://www.atlantascifiexpo.com/speaker/dustin-kopplin/
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

^ Very nice touch! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Stopped by to meet up with DKop this afternoon - it was fun. Good panel today!

The idea of a convention in a mall is ... weird. There were a lot of kinks with it, some that went right and a lot that probably should be ditched. It was very weird to sit in an audience for an anime panel in an ... emptied out ROSS ...