Anime Expo 2016

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Anime Expo 2016

Post by usamimi »

Looks like AX UA gonna have a few old (ish) school industry guests this year, including Yoshitaka Amano, Yoko Ishida, TM Revolution, Shoji Kawamori, & Kazuya Tsurumaki. http://www.anime-expo.org/guests/ Anyone here going?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Anime Expo 2016

Post by DKop »

I would if I lived on the west coast and was rich. The only thing coming up for me is Anime Weekend Atlanta, which my one and only panel is in tentative status at the moment, so I hope that goes through.

Seeing Kawamori and Amano would be pretty cool.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, even when I lived on the west coast, I never went to AX because travel expenses were high, plus it sounds like it's comparable to SDCC in size now & I dunno if I'd be up for going to such a huge event. Those are some cool guests, tho. Apparently we're also gonna get an update on that Vampire Hunter D series in the works, so I'm wondering if that's why Amano is there...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Sounds like it will be a cool convention. But, between the travel costs and the need to take off work, I don't think this will be in the cards for me.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Nope. After last year, I've sworn it off. The cost to attend the convention, even excluding hotels in the room block that will put you back $230/night (unless you wanna stay far away from the con in the ghetto & wait an hour to take the bus to/from the con), the amount of time you spend in line is just not worth it. If you want an autograph from a popular guest, you need to be at the line by 4 am to pick up an autograph ticket at 8. If you want more than one autograph from a guest, you'll have to go to the back of the line. If you want to attend a panel, unless you broke down and bought a Premier Pass (think they were about $400 each this year), you'll need to wait a couple hours just to get in to the panel room.

Honestly, you can find better cons elsewhere...or at least one that will allow you to sleep, see what you want to see and not bankrupt yourself on entry fees, concert fees (not included in the ticket price) and hotel fees.