Jay Fubler Harvey post-AniPike

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Jay Fubler Harvey post-AniPike

Post by mbanu »

Supposedly he retired from anime fandom about 15 years ago (his interview in Otaku Unite! was at the last anime con he would ever go to.) If you're curious about what he's up to now, it seems like he's still running a fan page for a J-Pop band, and is on Twitter: http://dctjoy.com/dct/about-dctjoy/
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: James Fubler Harvey post-AniPike

Post by labsenpai »

I knew JH from way back when he was involved with the anime club based at the university of Akron. The small group, TRI-A, ran shows at the student center, and at the Akron library (during the summer). The campus theater was great, since you could get McDs downstairs and then watch anime for half the day. Anyway, here is the newsletter/zine we attempted (in 1993?), with cover art I scanned from my issues of NEWTYPE. Contents included: review of Giant Robo, Konna Panic, Yawara, Battle Angel, compulsory Ranma fanfiction, xerox'd Dragon Ball, and my MST3K style comic treatment of the Macross movie.
Attachments
tria_zine.jpg
tria_zine.jpg (170.27 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
mbanu

Re: Jay Fubler Harvey post-AniPike

Post by mbanu »

Very slick! (^_^) I love the dub to Giant Robo -- "Allegiance or Death! Big Fire!" It's up there with the dub for Cyber City Oedo 808 for cornball ad-libs.

(I also kinda wish I could figure out how the edit function works -- I don't think the Jay in Jay Fubler Harvey actually stands for James. (^_^;) )

Was "Super Cat Girl" another name for All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku? (I was surprised to find out it got a sequel!)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

The edit function is disabled for regular users, you can always ask us mods to fix anything you need tho! ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I knew that he left or sold AniPike but I didn't think that he "retired" from fandom. Anyone know a source where he might have said why?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

Drew_Sutton wrote:I knew that he left or sold AniPike but I didn't think that he "retired" from fandom. Anyone know a source where he might have said why?
He mentioned it in passing in his old blog. Not sure if he ever went into more detail:
When I started my current job, I referred to my whole anime/manga/AniPike experience as my former life. The man had officially retired from the whole shebang. Get the tailor in here to measure me for my plaid golf pants and dust off the old shuffleboard set.

Even though my new friends accepted what I said, I always got the feeling that they never fully understood what I meant. It’s mostly my fault…I haven’t often gone into what I experienced to any full extent. Most couldn’t relate…and those that could probably wouldn’t fully believe it. How many people can relate to having people ask for your autograph, having companies suck up to you, and having zealous fans fawn all over you just because of some website. Sometimes you just have to be there to truly appreciate it.
(https://web.archive.org/web/20061213064 ... aku-unite/)
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Hmmm, yeah, that is a bit general and vague. I'll have to try and check out the documentary some time, maybe there is a bit more meat in there. Thanks for digging up that blog post!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.