VICE on 90s anime fan drama

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

VICE on 90s anime fan drama

Post by mbanu »

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... osplay-vhs

Wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the Fandom forum... Mainstream publications caring about stuff like this always surprises me, although I guess with almost 40 years of organized anime fandom in the history books it shouldn't. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: VICE on 90s anime fan drama

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Interesting article, certainly goes along with some of the old 1990s fansub drama we were talking about in the tape labels thread.
The Article wrote:Upset fans took to online message boards to vent their frustration. Central Anime responded to the allegations, attempting to justify their actions as a retaliation against the premium price being charged by Tomodachi, which was $19 USD per tape. I reached out to Todd 'Heibi' Perkins, the founder of Central Anime, for comment but did not receive a response by the time of publication.
Heibi used to hang out here a little while ago, I wonder if he's still around and if he could be reached? Too late for the Vice crowd to find out most likely, but I'd be interested for his take on the story.

I was into Fushigi Yuugi - got into it because Viz was translating the manga in their monthly Animerica Extra!; this was maybe 1998 or 1999, well after the fansub drama seemingly ended in Ottawa. I wound up checking out the anime because of the chapter I read in AE!, at that time, there were a few of the early tapes available officially from Pioneer but I wound up getting the last half of the show via fansubs. Ashemedly, I don't think I've watched them since then, so I don't remember if they were Central Anime or Tomodachi fansubs. Sounds like I might be watching some Fushigi Yuugi this week! :lol:
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.