Ghibli Fest

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Ghibli Fest

Post by runesaint »

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/stu ... bor-totoro shows information. Theaters are showing (Dubbed on Sunday at noon, subtitled on Monday at 7pm) Totoro, Laputa, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away.
I thought that people might want to be aware of this.
They also have a $60 ticket to get you in to all of them, which will also get you a cell from Spirited Away.

-R
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: Ghibli Fest

Post by mbanu »

Very nice! Nausicaa on 35mm is pretty tempting.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

runesaint wrote:They also have a $60 ticket to get you in to all of them, which will also get you a cell from Spirited Away.
My interest was piqued when you mentioned cel, as SA was not done using cels (there were some limited edition post-production cels made afterwards that were sold at the Ghibli Museum for several hundred dollars). But the link mentioned that it's just a 35mm film reel clip that has been sliced up and then matted/framed. That makes more sense though. Wasn't the Ghibli Museum giving these out with every ticket? I seem to recall hearing that they did at one time. Toei Animation Studio does the same, although it's been years since I've gone.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

When Nausicaa screened here at the TIFF Bell Lightbox it was a 35mm print that had been pretty well cared for, which was nice to see. The Ghibli Museum was still giving out film pieces when we visited. I imagine they won't run out any time soon.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:When Nausicaa screened here at the TIFF Bell Lightbox it was a 35mm print that had been pretty well cared for, which was nice to see. The Ghibli Museum was still giving out film pieces when we visited. I imagine they won't run out any time soon.
Yup a friend of mine just went last spring and sure enough, film strip in their tickets! I believe they said they got one from The Cat Returns.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Much as I like Miyazaki's films, I can't justify the price they are charging up here. A first run film like Transformers or Spider-Man is $12CAD. The Miyazaki films are $13! Now, in other centers this might be reasonable. Up where I am, it's not (though I'd probably pay to see the Yamato 2199 and 2202 films on a big screen as they were shown in Japan)...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Ended up going anyway. Still a nice film after all these years. Only about 10 people in the theater though so they aren't making any money on these films...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It might depend on where you are. I've had several friends tell me when they went their theaters were almost filled up!
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Could be because I went to the subtitled version. I'd figure the dubbed one might have more people. If that was yesterday though, I doubt they had many people as Spider-Man opened as well, there was a big music event up here that drew a terrific number of people. Still might take in the next show on Wednesday if they have it...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Next one is Kiki's Delivery Service on July 23 & 24! So plenty of time for people to see the new Spider-man first :lol: