AWA 2017

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

AWA 2017

Post by davemerrill »

well, it's upon us again, another AWA. This is the 22nd, I think. They all kinda blur together after a while.

Thursday:
awa17SHFS_final.jpg
awa17SHFS_final.jpg (173.51 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Friday:
awa_17hell booth2_800.jpg
awa_17hell booth2_800.jpg (205.74 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Saturday:
at_the_movies_awa17slide.jpg
at_the_movies_awa17slide.jpg (244.54 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
bebopmixer17.jpg
bebopmixer17.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Sunday:
AWA17kenslide.jpg
AWA17kenslide.jpg (175.54 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Looks like it's gonna be another fun AWA! If you're there, track me down and say hi!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: AWA 2017

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Just went through the schedule app and marked down and set reminders for the stuff. I'll see you there at least at the Fun Sale!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

I went and marked down stuff I was interested the first day the schedule app came out and then I checked yesterday and all of my favorites got cleared :/ So I had to redo. Kinda wish this was just on Guidebook but oh well.

Kinda surprised about the programming for this convention (tons of cosplay or fashion related stuff) but then I remembered the AWA 2016 coverage from AWO which brought up the shifting focus of the convention. Nevertheless, I'll be at all of your panels Dave; I'll stop by and say hi and the end of one.

I don't know what anyone looks like but if anyone sees me, feel free to say hi! There are pictures of me on my Otakon 2017 thread but if you're like me then shirts might be easier to remember than a face.

Friday Shirt:
DvMgSwO.jpg
DvMgSwO.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Saturday Shirt:
thomas_the_terror_engine.png
thomas_the_terror_engine.png (252.5 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
The Friday shirt should make me pretty easy to spot, hopefully even in a sea of cosplayers.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Always remember: Convention content is generally produced by people who want to say something. If nobody is doing a panel you want to attend, maybe you should consider submitting that panel for next year. :)

The PROBLEM is, it all happens too slowly. It seems to become a last minute scramble to fill rooms and times. Myself, since there's no real savings in cutting panel rooms (at least as I understand the arrangements), I would say there is no sin in having empty rooms. Heck, I'd try something crazy and suggest some kind of 'instant panel' or...flashmob panel! That's it. "Hey, Japanese guest so-and-so is in room whatever talking about all kinds of s**t! Drop in!"

But that would be crazy. :)
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

the new app has been kind of wonky for me as well. I hope there's a paper backup.

The fashion/cosplay programming has been growing for a while, it's something both the attendees and the Japanese side of things seems to be interested in making happen, so it happens. It's not something I'm interested in myself, but I'm not running the show, and I think the relaxation of not having to make and worry about the big decisions far outweighs any ill humor I might have about events that aren't strictly Japanese cartoons. I mean, people are having fun, it's at least tangentially related to Japan and Japanese pop culture, it's something I don't have to worry about, and it keeps people occupied. It's all good.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you there, Karageko! I'll look for Carlton!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Well thanks to splitting hotel cots with Karageko, looks like i'll be there Friday and Saturday. I have no plan on what to do, where to go and what to buy, but im down for socailizing for sure. Hey Dave, how is security for parking near the hotels since ill be coming about 3 hours in to ATL from south carolina?
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

AWA set up a parking map to guide people in their quest for parking. Waverly parking and Galleria Centre parking is free, and while you may find yourself deep down in the decks, there's usually a spot to be found.

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/cobb_ ... 1709261400

If by "security" you mean that you're worried somebody's going to break into your car, that really isn't a problem at the Galleria/Waverly. Refrain from leaving your laptop or your big pile of cash on the seat and you should be fine.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I've been to cons where there is no issue with break ins and others with multiple ones. Yea I plan on having nothing in my car that weekend that would intice anyone to want to break into my car. Thanks for the parking site!
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

AWA's been at this location since 2003 and auto break-ins have never been an issue, even back in AWA's early days at the facility when the Galleria was mostly a ghost town and the nearby Cumberland Mall was in dire need of renovation. The entire area has since been upscaled considerably, even before the Braves moved in across the interstate. I don't think you have much to worry about.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

DKop wrote:I've been to cons where there is no issue with break ins and others with multiple ones. Yea I plan on having nothing in my car that weekend that would intice anyone to want to break into my car. Thanks for the parking site!
Well, this is the thing. People who break into cars are generally lazy and don't want to really put work into their stealing. Don't leave things in sight. Don't leave cords (USB charging, device connection, etc) dangling or in sight. A neat, empty interior won't get their attention.

Bags of con swag, yeah, that can be a problem. Not to mention what car interior heat can do to PVC. :)