Convention Appearances 2018

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Convention Appearances 2018

Post by karageko »

I'm sure individual convention threads will pop up later in the year but I thought it might be nice for us to share our intended convention appearances so that interested folks going to the same convention can know to get in contact with one another to meet up, if desired.

I got my paid leave approved by my manager so I can confirm the following convention appearances for me in 2018.
I'd be happy to meet up and hang out or chat with anyone who also plans on showing up to the following (reply in this thread or shoot me a PM).

Anime Boston 2018 (March 30 - April 1)
Otakon 2018 (August 10 - August 12)
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2018 (September 20 - September 23) - I'm missing Thursday though.

I get tired easily from traveling so I don't intend on going to more for the year, but if there's a really good Japanese guest at another convention then perhaps I'll add another. I'll post another reply in the thread if I can confirm my attendance for additional conventions.

What conventions, if any, are you folks planning to visit?

(*cough* *cough* sure would be great if I could just EDIT in updated information like how just about every other forum that exists allows users to edit their posts *cough* *cough*)
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Convention Appearances 2018

Post by DKop »

Other than the Atlanta SciFi Expo this weekend, my main one is Animazement in a couple of months (that I think Akage will be there and I'll see her again and her friends), and I won't be in the dealers room selling things for the first time in 6 or so years, so that'll be a nice breather on my end.

I'll try and make it for AWA too, depends on where I'm at by that point since im looking for work right now and not sure where that might take me. If I get something close to the ATL then its a definite that i'll be there.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I'll be at Animazement in May and despite the horrors of last year, AnimeFest in August. If PMX returns, I may go to that one in November...and if Maeda attends SacAnime, I'll go for the day just to visit with him.

I dunno, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to attend conventions this year when it feels like I'm being yanked around by staff.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Akage wrote: I dunno, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to attend conventions this year when it feels like I'm being yanked around by staff.
I pay AZ no mind when there so bipolar on their decisions to handle crowds. I haven't even checked on who is going to AZ on the website yet, maybe i'll do that next month when more guests are announced, I dunno.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

karageko wrote:(*cough* *cough* sure would be great if I could just EDIT in updated information like how just about every other forum that exists allows users to edit their posts *cough* *cough*)
If I had any way of making it happen, believe me I would, but that's something only Daniel is in control of, and he hasn't stopped by the forum in a few months, so not much I can do about that.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

usamimi wrote:If I had any way of making it happen, believe me I would, but that's something only Daniel is in control of, and he hasn't stopped by the forum in a few months, so not much I can do about that.
I wasn't pointing fingers at you; I hope it didn't come across that way, sorry!
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

No worries, it's ok. Just making sure you know I'm not ignoring you! :lol:
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I sent a PM to Daniel a few months ago about some potential members, but haven't heard back from him. Hope he's OK.

I'm gonna be at Anime North in May and Anime Next in June and AWA in September, and those are probably all the shows I'm going to be at this year. Looking forward to Anime Next, this will be my first time at that convention, or spending any time in New Jersey at all other than driving on the turnpike or changing planes in Newark.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:I sent a PM to Daniel a few months ago about some potential members, but haven't heard back from him. Hope he's OK.
Yeah, same. I'm hoping it's just another bout of him being just super busy IRL and not more health issues :(
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

DKop wrote:I pay AZ no mind when there so bipolar on their decisions to handle crowds. I haven't even checked on who is going to AZ on the website yet, maybe i'll do that next month when more guests are announced, I dunno.
It has more to do about how upset their upper management is that we opted not to bid on the charity auction artwork last year because they decided to implement a lottery system for the one artist that we were all there to see. Yoshimi, the head of guest relations at AZ, gave Preston and I quite the evil eye when we passed by her at the entrance of the hotel after the convention ended. We even told them prior to the event that we would not bid if they went the lottery route, and when the artwork predictably sold for a fraction of what it would have had we bid, AZ sent underlings to ask congoers for donations.

What amuses me most is that when I attended their feedback session, they claimed that they were going to look for more sponsorships. But it's sponsorships that give the convention everything that they want without offering much to the recipient in return. I offered to sponsor this year and Yoshimi would only offer me artwork from the Animator Supporters (so..newbie 'inbetween animator' artists) in return for a hefty payment. Yeah no. Sponsorships need to be beneficial to both parties.

So..if the guest list is horrible and this becomes more of a party convention this year, you'll now know why.