Convention Appearances 2018

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Convention Appearances 2018

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:42 am
davemerrill wrote:I sent a PM to Daniel a few months ago about some potential members, but haven't heard back from him. Hope he's OK.
Yeah, same. I'm hoping it's just another bout of him being just super busy IRL and not more health issues :(
Does anyone have another way to contact him rather than the forum?
DKop wrote:I haven't even checked on who is going to AZ on the website yet, maybe i'll do that next month when more guests are announced
I'd like to get back to Animazement one of these days - the one time I went, the show seemed really well run and the caliber of Japanese talent they are able to book really sounds up my alley. Probably not this year but maybe next.

This year, I pretty much plan on heading to AWA (need to get my act together for panels this year).
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Good news! Daniel lives, I got a message from him earlier :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Akage wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:45 pm
DKop wrote:I pay AZ no mind when there so bipolar on their decisions to handle crowds. I haven't even checked on who is going to AZ on the website yet, maybe i'll do that next month when more guests are announced, I dunno.
It has more to do about how upset their upper management is that we opted not to bid on the charity auction artwork last year because they decided to implement a lottery system for the one artist that we were all there to see. Yoshimi, the head of guest relations at AZ, gave Preston and I quite the evil eye when we passed by her at the entrance of the hotel after the convention ended. We even told them prior to the event that we would not bid if they went the lottery route, and when the artwork predictably sold for a fraction of what it would have had we bid, AZ sent underlings to ask congoers for donations.

What amuses me most is that when I attended their feedback session, they claimed that they were going to look for more sponsorships. But it's sponsorships that give the convention everything that they want without offering much to the recipient in return. I offered to sponsor this year and Yoshimi would only offer me artwork from the Animator Supporters (so..newbie 'inbetween animator' artists) in return for a hefty payment. Yeah no. Sponsorships need to be beneficial to both parties.

So..if the guest list is horrible and this becomes more of a party convention this year, you'll now know why.
Eh, im happy if Arcade Impact is there with Initial D. After seeing the dealers room from AWA, AZ pales in comparison for rare stupid stuff that I like that no one else in fandom might not want. I hope that Otaku Joe shows up, i'd love to get more laserdiscs/vinyls from him. If anything i'll probably bum with your gang since I won't be trapped in the dealers room this year after doing that for the past 6 years helping my friend sell stuff. I miss seeing panels and guests talk about stuff (the last one I remember was Wantanabe a couple of years back.) I can probably get more stuff signed too.
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

There aren't too many events listing Japanese GoHs right now, although the pair announced for Anime NEXT interest me. I'd like to talk mecha with Aramaki and Kamiyama, being a fan since the ARTMIC days. A good chance at 2+ autographs is what it takes to motivate this middle-aged otaku ;)

The 500 mile drive to the coast and Atlantic City lodging prices are a bit of a pill. I need more good friends in far-flung places...
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

labsenpai wrote:There aren't too many events listing Japanese GoHs right now, although the pair announced for Anime NEXT interest me. I'd like to talk mecha with Aramaki and Kamiyama, being a fan since the ARTMIC days. A good chance at 2+ autographs is what it takes to motivate this middle-aged otaku ;)

The 500 mile drive to the coast and Atlantic City lodging prices are a bit of a pill. I need more good friends in far-flung places...
...Meanwhile, all my ex's live in Texas. Wait scratch that, its my immediate family (ex's are in the Carolinas, I always get those two mixed up :roll: )
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Guyver I »

I'll be doing at least one talk at Otakon this summer; this will be 20 years since I went to my first anime convention (Otakon 1998) in middle school, so it has some sort of sentimental value to me. I wish it was still in Baltimore, but hey, what can you do.

If there's any intention of having a meet-up of folks also attending, do keep me in the loop!
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Guyver I wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm I'll be doing at least one talk at Otakon this summer; this will be 20 years since I went to my first anime convention (Otakon 1998) in middle school, so it has some sort of sentimental value to me. I wish it was still in Baltimore, but hey, what can you do.

If there's any intention of having a meet-up of folks also attending, do keep me in the loop!
I'd be happy to meet up and hang out; I'll make a mental note to reach out when the date comes closer.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by Guyver I »

Yeah, sounds good to me; keep me posted!
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Gah, I miss conventions. Unfortunately I just sat down to update bills and I am concerned enough about just my yearly trip to take my daughter to see her grandparents @.@
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

I just finished reserving attendance at Anime Central, after seeing the much improved GoH list this year. Since the announcement of K.Sonoda's new project, coordinated with ACEN, the con has invited Kikuko Inoue, Mamoru Yokota, Takahiro Yoshimatsu and some "new gen" artists. It has been 14+ years since I've seen this kind of star power at my closest "major" anime event. I still have my Sonoda-illustrated con shirt from 1998, so I should be easy to spot :geek:

/TO DO LIST: BELLDANDY AUTOGRAPH, SLAYERS AUTOGRAPH, 2ND SONODA SKETCH/AUTOGRAPH, RUNE SOLDIER AUTOGRAPH, TENSUKE MARKET
Attachments
acenyears.jpg
acenyears.jpg (187.38 KiB) Viewed 2777 times