Convention Appearances 2018

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Convention Appearances 2018

Post by DKop »

This just in, panel times for me are in baby!

Looks like I'm getting my Sunday off, didn't expect that to happen.
20180909_060358.jpg
20180909_060358.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

been absolutely slammed getting ready for this show. See you guys at AWA next week! NEXT WEEK
dave_large_18b.jpg
dave_large_18b.jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Putting finishing touches on the following panels for this weekend -

Ten Years Ten Anime: 2000s Head-to-Head – FRI 9:45 PM CGC 108
Nue Kids On The Block: A Profile of Studio Nue – SAT 2:15 PM CGC 108
Suit (of Armor) Up! 30 Years of Ronin Warriors – SAT 7:15 PM CGC 108
Don’t Talk About The War: Militarism and Pacifism in Japanese Animation – SUN 11:30 AM CGC 107

I'm excited to see everyone and talk about some slick-ass cartoons!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Guyver I wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:40 pm Unfortunately, I had something pop up at the last minute and had to miss Otakon this year (thankfully, brought to my attention before the 24 hour deadline to cancel hotel reservations, though). On track , as of now, at least, to hit Katsucon, though.

How was Otakon, this year?
Really late on replying to this because I wanted to get an Otakon write-up out before AWA (which seems unlikely at this point :/ but eventually I still aim to actually put this out). I had a great time, and I intend on going again next year. I'll defer to my eventual write-up of it as far as details.

Seems like a bunch of folks here are going to be at AWA, so anyone who wants to meet, chat, hang-out, or whatever I'll be happy to do so.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

probably going to be having a social time get together Saturday night 9-ish, everybody track me down at AWA and I'll let you know where (don't know yet myself)!
DKop

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am probably going to be having a social time get together Saturday night 9-ish, everybody track me down at AWA and I'll let you know where (don't know yet myself)!
We'll just crash your hotel room like last year, but have way more people. Hearing Neil Nadleman and another guy talk about 70's sci fi shows was pretty interesting when I was there. That mixer was lame for me, probably bc i'm too old :lol: Man, it'll be dope to get Neil and Tim Eldred in that room since I do wanna meet Tim in person.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Since I know I'm going to take forever to actually put out a convention report on AWA 2018 I'll give the teaser here which is that I had an even better time than last year; I spent a lot of time hanging out with the folks I met last year. Big thanks to Dave for hosting a really sweet room party - got to meet a bunch of new people there and had some real fun conversations. I also accidentally found the video game area on the last day which I had no idea had existed up until that point; in my mind this is a good thing. I didn't get to meet up with Drew unfortunately, but I hope to fix that next year.

This wraps up my convention attendance for 2018. See you all (hopefully) in 2019.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
DKop

Post by DKop »

Drew might comment or chime on here, but we briefly meet on Friday, but he was out the weekend due to his wife having to go ER for health issues. He kept in touch with me and told me on Sunday she was doing well. Hopefully there's no issues next year for him and me, so we can add him to our nerd group.

I had a great time than last year at AWA, which is how cons are supposed to go every year really. All three of my panels had fantastic turnouts to them, the Gundam in America one being the most fun since I kinda rambled for about a half hour on how Bandai screws everything up when it came to Gundam being marketed in America, crowed ate that up. Ended on a very high note by showing the Doozy Bots pilot, which fans groaned, and I told them I don't care to hear them :lol:

Yea I didn't get my Initial D playing time in, but hopefully I will next year to show off my game. My con review will be in podcast format which will be released sometime in the future, so stay tuned for that on my Anime of Yesteryear Thread.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:42 am Drew might comment or chime on here, but we briefly meet on Friday, but he was out the weekend due to his wife having to go ER for health issues.
Yep - what a ride. I went up Thursday night after work to get my badge and do some light shopping, spoke with Dave and Neil for a little bit and saw some local friends that I just don't get to see as much as I would like. Friday was kinda the same - worked all day and headed up that night for the show; made sure I stopped in for DKop's panel. I got a call from my (32 1/2 week pregnant) wife about an hour or so before my panel is scheduled to start, she's crying, doubling over in pain. I tell her to call the ambulance and I was getting out of there ASAP. Talked to events staff, filled them in, and mad rush home where I met her with the EMTs from our local fire department. We arrange for the ambulance and head up to our hospital. We're moved to labor and delivery, she gets some treatment, but most of the time we're waiting. Sometime Saturday morning, she goes in for an MRI and by Saturday afternoon they think it's appendicitis and plan to operate. Usually anesthesia and surgery is only a little more risky than normal, until you get to be, oh, 32 weeks or more. Saturday night surgery is successful and she is set up recovering very early Sunday morning, so I head home for more then 10 minutes to feed the cats and get more than a couple hours of sleep. Head back Sunday to spend the day with her; her folks and my folks came to visit her briefly. I set up some time for her mom to come and help me during the week while I am working. She finally comes home from the hospital Tuesday and has been resting well. Her and baby are doing great.

Not at all how I envisioned spending my AWA weekend but from what I saw on twitter and facebook, it looks like everyone had a great time.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop

Post by DKop »

It sounds like she didn't give birth, and I'm glad that they were able to do this surgery without affecting the child. I'm glad you and wife/baby are fine, I was wondering how things have been the past week. I wasn't going to say too much on the forums since I'd leave it to you if you wanted to tell people about what happened.