Isao Takahata has passed away

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Isao Takahata has passed away

Post by karageko »

I'm sure most of you have already heard the news but it was confirmed today that Isao Takahata has passed away.

I made it a point to bring him up in almost every discussion about Ghibli I was involved in, to push against the perception that Ghibli was only Miyazaki. For a long time I've felt that he was criminally underappreciated (and largely only appreciated for Grave of the Fireflies, which to its credit is a phenomenal film). The man was definitely a legend. I'm sure with the retrospectives that'll come out over the next few weeks, more anime fans will realize this is the case if they didn't already know.

When I was in my late teens and I watched Only Yesterday for the first time, it hit me real hard despite being a cartoon aimed for more of a middle aged Japanese audience.

https://youtu.be/qu7Dw4NJmY4

Rest in peace.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Isao Takahata has passed away

Post by usamimi »

A real talent, he had an amazing career & will definitely be missed.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

In the documentary about Miyazaki, we can see a friendly rivalry between Miyazaki and Takahata. Each director is trying to make their movies better than the other. I think that rivalry helped to drive these two men toward excellence.

I must admit, I've not seen any of Takahata's films, which is a severe fault of mine, I admit. They are on the list, definitely. The only movie I don't want to see is Grave of the Fireflies. I know, I know, but I really, really don't need to see something that is going to crush me like that movie will.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

Sometimes you want to be crushed, just to remind yourself that you can still feel.
Hm, A touch more morbid than I intended, but I hope the intent is there -_-;;;
Fvlminatvs
Anime Fan Since: 1981

Post by Fvlminatvs »

runesaint wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm Sometimes you want to be crushed, just to remind yourself that you can still feel.
Hm, A touch more morbid than I intended, but I hope the intent is there -_-;;;
Perhaps, but considering the film's topic, well... perhaps that's fitting.

I totally understand why people are shocked and dismayed by my refusal to see it. It's one of those things, though, where I just can't bring myself to watch it. If anything, it's a testament to the film's reputation.