Convention Appearances 2019

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Convention Appearances 2019

Post by labsenpai »

Share your plans for jumping back into the wait lines for noisy days of deculture! I still have some energetic cells after thirty years of this hobby so I'll be on the road at least once. I know some events (like early Katsucon) have already passed, but many more await us and our credit cards. Since I reside in the cornbelt, my mission to Anime Central is already paid for. ACEN has a history of inviting plenty of Japanese guests from the industry, which is an incentive for me. Truthfully, their website has a long roster of guests once again, although I'm seeing a focus on "fresh off the airwaves" talent.

Aside from the ACEN godfather Kenichi Sonoda, the guests are mostly tied to recent projects and a studio (Kinema Citrus) that is only 10 years old. This doesn't mean their works are negligible or bad, just that my collecting and viewing has giant gaps after 2004 or so. Of these new titles being promoted I've only watched a few test episodes. I'll be going empty-handed to a lot of autograph panels, or with items I rushed to buy (like the Idolmaster cds below). On the positive side, maybe I won't have to miss things I want to do because of guest event overload. Last year's schedule was inhumanly busy.

Here is a gratuitous photo of the start of my stuff to pack :)
Attachments
Acen19goh.jpg
Acen19goh.jpg (177.51 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Convention Appearances 2019

Post by DKop »

There's two big ones coming up that im debating on which one to go depending on the guest list, MomoCon or Animazement. Momo is gonna have Shinji Aramaki, which id like to meet him/hopefully get stuff signed. However, its the same weekend as Animazement, and i'm gonna wait and see how the guest list at AZ does in the coming month. Usually they announce all their people by early May, so they might have someone i'd like to go see.

AWA is still in my sights, and when panelist applications open up ill submit some and see which ones get picked, which gives me the summer to work on them.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Was just thinking about a thread like this the other day...

I (well, we the family) made a brief appearance to check out SeishunCon back in February. Literally, just an appearance to check in and see some folks, see how the show was doing.

I'm kinda debating whether I can make it out for AWA this year. I will probably submit a similar panel block as I did last year since, I couldn't really present it last year. Work schedule might make it difficult, too, though.

DKop, if you wind up in town for Momo, lemme know and we'll find some time to grab a beer or something.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Thanks for making a 2019 thread labsenpai. I'd meant to but the thought had escaped from my brain at some point.

I will be at Anime Boston 2019 which is coming up in a little over a week.
I also plan to be at AnimeNEXT 2019 this year, which will be my first time going.
I will definitely be going to Otakon 2019.

I am still quite on the fence for AWA 2019, not because I don't enjoy hanging out with folks there (I do enjoy it very much), but mostly because I'm already feeling quite traveled-out and lodgings costs are higher there than any of the others I've listed above for me. At the moment I'm leaning towards probably not (with the intention of coming back in 2020), but I will definitely post if that changes.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I'm gonna be at Anime North in May and AWA in October, and as far as I know those are the only shows I'm going to be at this year. Might wind up driving down to AWA this year, maybe, which would be kinda cool.
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by zimmerit »

Planning to be at Anime NEXT this year. Submitted some panel pitches but haven't heard back yet.
Sean // zimmerit.moe
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

Because it drove us insane last year, ACEN is distributing autograph tickets one at a time again. Effectually, this means you must rejoin the ticket line if there are multiple signings to attend in one day. Or, you gamble on there being enough time to be included after attendees with tickets go ahead of you. Anyone not hanging around all 3 days is SOL. Of course, there are schedule conflicts that also shoot down some of your chances. For example, a panel with A.Suzaki & N.Takamori is during the same morning hour when you'd have to line up for tickets for their autographs THAT DAY. I'm glad that meeting the Kinema Citrus studio team isn't a priority, because both their sessions are ruled out (except for the *special* one requiring a $30 merchandise purchase). Sorry citrus, but Revue Starlight was less exciting than even that horse-girl racing show.

/pics next week if anything cool spotted
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

speaking of autographs, last weekend horror manga artist Junji Ito was at TCAF in Toronto. There were autograph sessions on Saturday and Sunday. Wristbands for autographs were distributed starting at 9am each morning, and I believe they were limited to 100 per day. The line for the Saturday wristbands was already full at 7:30am. The line for Sunday wristbands started at - believe it or not - 11pm Saturday night. People stood in line all night long for Junji Ito autographs. One family flew in from Europe to see Ito.

This is a level of Junji Ito fandom I *definitely* was not aware of previously.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

After returning through a rainstorm that was like Lake Erie being flipped over onto the highway, I will present my short report on ACEN 2019. It will be focused on guest panels and signings, since there wasn't enough time to accomplish more. Now that our one popular midwest con is considered "BIG", the best way to enjoy it is with friends that can help you jump the hurdles that the staff and rotten luck can throw your way.

THE GOOD
1) AC went out of their way to corral over twenty Japanese guests for the event, many making 1st US appearances. I heard that Kikuko Inoue, last year's big name, suggested the event to her kohai actresses.
2) Panels and Autograph areas were easy to find and large enough for crowds. I was glad to see nearly half of an exhibit hall ready to host six signings at a time. I don't believe any of the anime-related panels had overcrowding issues.
3) Everyone was generally friendly and chill, even when being squashed like animals in the ticket rodeo.

THE MALIGN
1) As mentioned, there were obvious conflicts with guest panels and autograph ticket distribution. The worst was for Kiyono Yasuno, who was there for only half a day. The staff changed the time to release tickets for her signing, and only offered about half the normal amount. Hence, her session sold out immediately and she couldn't stay for an overflow queue (where 40+ of us were cut). I figure I spent the equivalent of an entire con day in line to acquire my five autographs (Sonoda, Shuzilow.HA, Mai Nakahara, Aya Suzaki, Natsumi Takamori).
2) The grand premiere of the new BEAN BANDIT OVA boiled down to about three minutes of acceptable footage. It was entertaining, but I can understand the disappointment a fan that gave money to the film's Kickstarter might have. Sonoda did apologize, saying the final cut would be done this summer - but we don't get to see even half. If you want to see it, I have a temporary vimeo link that was handed out at the show (PM for info).
3) The typical lack of affordable dining options within the event perimeter.

Sonoda did have one of his recent doujin for sale during his autographs, complete with mascot bag from his family store :) Also pictured is the overpriced Macross Delta poster that Kiyono didn't sign :(
Attachments
sonoda_dojin.jpg
sonoda_dojin.jpg (204.73 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
AC19_lineup.jpg
AC19_lineup.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Thanks for all that info! Shame that they didn't have more to show off video-wise, but from what I've gleaned from his con appearance and the work he's been doing for Animeigo's GSC re-release, sounds like he's juggling a lot of stuff right now. Hopefully he'll get through it, slowly but surely!

I had several twitter followers try to snag me one of the posters they were giving out, but those seem to have gotten snapped up pretty quickly, alas.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*