Anime Street Art

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Anime Street Art

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Driving around town a lot lately and I've noticed a couple of street art pieces that are anime inspired and thought I would share here (I've tweeted them out/shared them on my podcast pages and posted to a couple vintage anime groups on facebook), too.

I don't know if I would consider Atlanta a city known for its street art - but there's a lot more than I remember even five years ago. We have all different types of art and while there is a significant anime fan population, I'd never thought I would see any direct anime fan art. But here we are.

This piece is in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood; I see it bringing my daughter back from swim lessons or I am coming back from judo. It is on the side of a furniture store. Artist credit is here: https://imgur.com/IvhjSD5

This piece is just outside of Atlanta's city limits, I think it's the Oakhurt neighborhood of Decatur, technically. It's on the back of a gas station that backs up to some railroad tracks and is obscured by trees, so it is hard to see from the main highway. According to my podcast co-host, there was also a Grendizer mural on the same building but that piece has been replaced with another piece of non-anime street art.

When he was in ATL spring of 2018, DKop took some pics of an anime/anime-inspired art inside the pizza place we grabbed lunch at but I haven't been back since to get some pics myself.

So, anyone else have some nifty anime or anime-inspired pieces they've seen about town (or that you've done? That would be super cool to see!)?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Anime Street Art

Post by DKop »

Yea that pizza place was pretty dope, and that Garfield/Kenshiro was my twitter avatar for the longest time. There is also the Adult Swim mural next to the old WTBS building that is now the Adult Swim HQ right off the interstate on Williams Street, which people have come to respect that mural as is they will graffiti around that mural but never on it rarely. I got tons of photos of that last year and when I saw it back at the last AWA it still seemed untouched.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: Anime Street Art

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm Yea that pizza place was pretty dope, and that Garfield/Kenshiro was my twitter avatar for the longest time.
Lasagna wa mou shindeiru
DKop wrote: There is also the Adult Swim mural next to the old WTBS building that is now the Adult Swim HQ right off the interstate on Williams Street, which people have come to respect that mural as is they will graffiti around that mural but never on it rarely. I got tons of photos of that last year and when I saw it back at the last AWA it still seemed untouched.
Very cool, I didn't know there was one over there! I'll have to try and check it out.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.