Current Gainax President arrested

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Current Gainax President arrested

Post by usamimi »

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... lt-charges

Ooof. Looks like the newly appointed Gainax president has been arrested for using his position of power to force an under-aged voice acting student to take inappropriate photos. (He's only been president since OCTOBER.)

Already, pretty much every offshoot of Gainax has come forward saying they want nothing to do with him: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... i-tomohiro
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Current Gainax President arrested

Post by DKop »

I don't get why this wasn't handled right away instead of nearly a year later till he became president of Gainax for someone to do something about it. Maybe its something to do with getting all the evidence against him and it just took that long? I do know Japan has a 95 percent conviction rate there abouts, as in if anything is against you, you're in the slammer very quickly.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It could be the victim was too scared to come forward right away, it could be it took time to convince someone that it actually happened and that they should do something about it, it could be someone was trying to build evidence towards the incident, it could be many things. And while Japan does have a fairly high conviction rate, it also has surprisingly lax punishments for some crimes. So I guess time will tell what happens with this case.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I feel like "Turning Bad Creeps into Good Creeps Since 1984" could be the unofficial Gainax motto, but lately it's just been a lot of news from bad creeps, it seems... with Gaina taking over Uru in Blue, I'm not sure what's left at Gainax original. Who is still there? I don't really follow sakuga-Twitter, so I don't know if there are any staff left who might be able to pull things back up for the studio.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah honestly I don't think anyone worth following is still at Original Gainax? It seems like the "stars" of the studio have moved on to bigger things, or at least the ones I can remember by name.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

usamimi wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 am It could be the victim was too scared to come forward right away, it could be it took time to convince someone that it actually happened and that they should do something about it, it could be someone was trying to build evidence towards the incident, it could be many things. And while Japan does have a fairly high conviction rate, it also has surprisingly lax punishments for some crimes. So I guess time will tell what happens with this case.
Based on what is written in the article, the incident was reported pretty quickly to the police the same month as the incident, so it couldn't be due to the victim not reporting it till later. The evidence gathering and building a case would be the most likely cause of such a delay, so it could be that. It just so happens this comes together when the new president comes into Gainax, as time would have it.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

I just remember that Hideaki Anno gave an interview around the time of the arrest detailing Gainax's sketchy dealings over the years and his falling out with them. You can find the interview here, and the translation here.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah...honestly, at this point it wouldn't surprise me if Gainax folded or got sold to another company/studio & merged/disappeared in the next 5-10 years, the way things are going. Most of the truly talented people left ages ago when they could.