Phoenix Comicon

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Phoenix Comicon

Post by greg »

Well, I will not be in America for Memorial Day Weekend. But if I was, I would certainly be back at the Phoenix Comicon! I looked at the list of anime guests on the homepage and I didn't recognize anybody. Just a bunch of Americans. I think in past years, they had Colleen Clinkenbeard and Wendee Lee. Those are two names I actually recognize, but being a sub-only or raw-only anime guy, I don't really care about their contributions to the fandom.

I am so glad that celebrities are turning their focus away from the San Diego Comic Con. I attended the SDCC in from '99-'01, and went back again in '07. It had easily doubled in size in '07, which was cool, but it was getting too big for itself. With fire code enforcement and such, we'd be waiting around in line forever for a panel to start, only to have half everyone turned away. That's no fun! SDCC is just getting too big for itself.

Last year, the only celebrity I paid to have a signature from at the Phoenix CC was Bruce Boxleitner. I had him sign my Tron 20th Anniversary DVD. That was pretty cool. I had a great time last year, even though the anime-related panels sucked. This year, more cast of Star Trek:TNG will be there(Patrick Stewart has unfortunately cancelled, though), plus William Shatner, and Gil Gerard and Erin Grey from Buck Rogers will be there! I will just have to wait for others to start uploading their coverage of the event.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page