Izumi Matsumoto, KOR creator, passes away at age 61

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Captain_EO
Anime Fan Since: 2002

Izumi Matsumoto, KOR creator, passes away at age 61

Post by Captain_EO »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ay/.165131

This was such sad news to read tonight. From the original light-hearted TV series to the dramatic film adaptations, Kimagure Orange Road was a cornerstone of 80's and 90's anime fandom- And definitely one of my favorites. May Matsumoto-san rest in peace.

Hibari-kun's Hisashi Eguchi has been talking about the last time they met:
https://twitter.com/Eguchinn/status/131 ... 30752?s=20
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Izumi Matsumoto, KOR creator, passes away at age 61

Post by Akage »

I've been really heartbroken by this all day. I've met Matsumoto-sensei a couple times at various anime conventions over the years and he is one of the kindest men I have ever met. He was very giving, doing as much as he could for the fans in attendance despite being in pain.

He talked about his medical condition at his panels at PMX and Japan Expo USA and mentioned that at one point in 2000, he was in so much pain that he was seriously contemplating taking his own life. The leak of his cerebrospinal fluid was a condition that he had experienced, albeit undiagnosed, since he was in a car accident as a child. It prevented him from sleeping and eventually made it so that he had to stop working entirely. I honestly can't imagine what it's like to be in that kind of pain for decades and still push yourself as hard as he did during KOR's heyday. It is the only time where I have been in absolute tears by the end of a guest panel.

I saw that the blog noted that he passed away peacefully in his sleep. I really hope that that was the case. He earned that.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Izumi Matsumoto, KOR creator, passes away at age 61

Post by usamimi »

Thank you for posting this, because the day that info was released it just hit me so hard I was pretty sad the entire day...His story is so tragic, and I'm just heartbroken he's gone. I also hope that the fact they posted he passed in his sleep is true, because he of all people deserved such a peaceful thing. His work will hold a special place in my heart forever :(
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*