Forum get-togethers.

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: back to Japan

Post by greg »

Hey Dave,
Shall we make the 30th a day at the Nakano Broadway Building? Peter/Bike Lover should be able to come, too. My hotel near Ueno is booked, and I will take a bus to Tokyo on Friday morning (it only takes 2.5 hours from where I live). I will make a bus reservation for later Monday night, so that I can maximize my time in Tokyo.

I think Friday the 27th I will tackle Akihabara alone, because I never get to do Akihabara alone. Go ahead and do what you'd like on that day, since it is your anniversary, afterall. I am not sure what I will do on Saturday, and it is possible that my wife and daughter may come to Tokyo for Saturday and Sunday. Most likely we will visit Snoopy Town in Harajuku (I don't know if Kiddie Land in Harajuku is still closed for construction) and definitely my wife wants to go back to Yamashiroya in Ueno. Dave, if you've never been to Yamashiroya, you really ought to go! So Sunday is the Wonderfest, and that day is pretty much spoken for. I vote for Nakano on Monday. If Peter comes, he'll be recovering from his surgery and it won't require a ton of walking, since everything is all in one building. What do you say?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Nakano Broadway on Monday the 30th sounds fine. It is one of the few places in Tokyo I'm reasonably certain I can find my way back to, if nothing else.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

We have not been to Ueno or Yamashiroya, but it's on our list now! Yamashiroya looks cool and there's a bunch of touristy stuff in Ueno as well.
greg

Post by greg »

BikeLover wrote:Word of warning.
Ueno you need to be careful quiet a few yakuza groups got their local HQ's and prime shops there.
Ameyoko is well known as a pick-pocket paradise for trainee yaguza.
Ditto for akiba, etc now. While you drool at the figures your wallets lighten and not in a good way.
Ha, you sound like a Japanese native. Keep in mind you are talking to Americans. I'd trust my wallet in Ameyoko over anywhere in Los Angeles, or pretty much anywhere in the United States.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

We did some wandering around nighttime Kabuki-cho on the last trip and didn't feel anything but safe. Certainly Tokyo feels like a very safe city in comparison to some of the less fortunate areas of North America - I'm looking at you, Detroit - but like any big city, I'm sure Tokyo has plenty of ways to be relieved of your loose cash in less than acceptable ways.

I'll put it this way, I felt safer in Tokyo than I did in Vancouver. Heck, the way people are shooting each other in Toronto this year, we might just stay in Japan.

Thanks for the heads up on Ueno, though - I will keep my eyes out for obvious Yakuza HQs and try to resist the urge to get all touristy. I know they aren't big on photos.
greg

Post by greg »

Well, crap. I just looked again at the Kaiyodo website and reservations to attend the Wonder Festival ended on July 4th. I thought I would be able to go there and buy a ticket to get in. When I went to the Tokyo Game Show 11 years ago, that was the way it was. The Shizuoka Hobby Show was free for anyone to attend. So, I can't go anyway. Well, I will be free on the 29th after all, so it seems.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Actually, after I posted that message, I also sent it to my J-friend who was planning to attend with me. He checked out Kaiyodo's website and he said I can still attend. I just misread the page and it seemed to me that I had to pre-reg by July 4th. It looks like I am still on for the show after all!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I will be alone. I'm Caucasian, brown hair (bald on top), easily identified by my trademark newsboy hat and glasses. I'll likely be wearing a typical T-shirt with some nerd culture reference on it.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Like everybody else here, I'm a white guy with brown hair. I have a greying goatee. Glasses. Suspect is hatless, repeat hatless. According to my drivers license I am 170cm, and I weigh 78 kilos according to Wii Fit. I will be wearing shorts and some kind of t-shirt.

Shain's coming along with me, she's my wife, she's shorter than me and has larger breasts.

We may actually wind up going to Wonderfest on Sunday.
greg

Post by greg »

I was in Ueno yesterday. Upon entering the Ameyoko area, we were immediately mugged by Yakuza thugs, who then seized our wallets, and we were brutally butt-raped by cyborg sumo westlers. Then I woke up from the bad dream and we went to the real Ueno and enjoyed a pleasant day in one of the safest big cities in the world.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page